Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need one tree, have to buy the entire forest - CHRYSLER PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Need one tree, have to buy the entire forest - CHRYSLER PARTS

C'mon man....was driving today & notice steam was coming out from hood. Pull over, check it out, found this to be leaking coolant:

Name:  IMG_0398.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  329.7 KB

No biggy right, pull this part out & went to AutoZone...sorry, they do not carry. No choice but to Chrysler dealer... Part guy goes in and bring my this:

Name:  IMG_0399.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  198.7 KB

Guy say, sorry, they only sell it like this. You have to buy the entire set & just use the Y- Hose piece.....WTF...I had no choice...my car was at a parking lot needing the hose.

$120...slap in the face...

Marketing strategy...they trying to make everything in house & sold in sets...I could have easily modify any Y shape hose to make it fit...but no time & need car TODAY!

Last edited by gotcbr; 05-30-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

welcome to my world.....

i see stuff like this everyday.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to owning a Chrysler!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Looking towards TOYOTA...

Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
Looking towards TOYOTA...
Good luck with that import. Then all you'll have to deal with are stuck accelerator pedals that they will deny that there's a problem with, among other things.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Good luck with that import. Then all you'll have to deal with are stuck accelerator pedals that they will deny that there's a problem with, among other things.
what other things?

the lexus pedal thing turned out to be an incorrect floor mat installed at the dealership. they never were able to duplicate a problem. they did a recall to put a shim in, just in case. they had to make a quick attempt to do something because of the heat they were getting and because it was a safety thing.

toyota is one of the best makes out there. except for the prius.... they're good cars.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Chrysler/Jeep = these were the 2 cars I've own for last 6 years.

Jeep Cherokee I purchase brand new. About 10-12k in, the transmission will slip, say you are in D driving normal, then just feels like you are in neutral, intermediately? Off and on, to a point it's too dangerous to drive cause it happen on the freeway. Take it to dealer, turns out it was electrical, the connector from the transmission to the CPU. There was some oil leak from transmission to the connector. $350....then right before i sold it a year later, it happens again! But I sold it back to dealer so they'll have to worry about it.

Trade the Jeep for Chrysler TC....6 months later, no AC! Blowing hot air...take it to dealer, turn out the freon hose have a leak..parts $39 + labor = $345...about another 5-6 months later, car would not turn over intermediately? Is like randomly car feel like it's disconnected to battery, gotta retry smart key few time then start. Problem got so bad, one time it take 40mins to start. Take it in dealer, turns out, the smart key, ignition module is failing to sync with CPU...even if you buy the ignition elsewhere, there is no way anyoe else can install in, you must take to dealer to program, and dealer cannot guarantee that tour smart key will work with new ignition module. If it does not sync, you must buy new smart keys at $150 each...parts and labor to fix key ignition = $300 after discount bargaining...they wanted $365

Few months later, one of the brake caliper stuck, causing pad prematurely worn....take it to brake shop (no dealer) = $200

No this coolant hose $130 DIY....

I have 60k on speedo, really losing trust in this car...

Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 PM

They finally came out with a TSB or recall for the grand cherokee transmission connector leak.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep take tech 10 years old from other companies and start putting it on their own vehicles.

They take special tranny fluid and sometimes special steering fluid. Allot of their parts aren't 3rd party manufactured either (like you found out), same with German cars.

Any company that makes you take a tire off to change a battery, or puts top-mounted tie rods on cars......meh.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I know right, because its so hard to put the trans in neutral!!! I work at a car dealership, I deal with everything from Lamborghini Murcielago's to Honda civic's. Toyota is easily one of the most reliable manufacturers out there, honda too. On the flip side, Chrysler is one of the worst as is Mitsubishi. Its a good thing Lexus [toyota] is so reliable because they have some of the most exspensive factory replacement parts I've come across.

Quick Reply: Need one tree, have to buy the entire forest - CHRYSLER PARTS