Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need Advice On My Service Estimate

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice On My Service Estimate

I got this service estimate like two days ago. It's been more than 4500 miles on the bike since I didn't take it for service. I need to change my tires too. I am planning to get those done next week. This week I went to honda to see what the damage will be. A friend of mine told me that I would be paying too much for tires but the estimate for the check up sounds right. I wanted to write all those down, and ask you people if they sound right or not. If not what else can be done, etc.

First of all, my bike is: 05 Honda CBR 600 F4i, It has 14500 miles on it. I bought it second hand when it was 10000 miles.

Here is the service estimate:

TIRE 120/70ZR17F MICHELIN PILOTS $125.95
TIRE 180/55ZR17F MICHELIN PILOTS $141.95
LABOR R/R FRONT TIRE $39.00
LABOR R/R REAR TIRE $46.80
SUPPLIES $5.15
SUBTOTAL : $358.85

What do you think about those rates?

I also want to get full service check up including new filter, oil, etc. it will cost me $147.95

Is there anything sounds wrongs to you? Is there any other way that I can get things done and my last question is what is a "PERFORM FULL SERVICE" consist of? It just says perform full service and 117.00 next to it. What is that?

Thank you so much in advance!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Default RE: Need Advice On My Service Estimate

The tire price is right. The perform full service includes an oil change w/ filter, check and top off fluids, check brakes, readjust clutch cable, readjust idle speed. Rarely does it include plugs, especially at that price.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: QuickNDeadly

I got this service estimate like two days ago. It's been more than 4500 miles on the bike since I didn't take it for service. I need to change my tires too. I am planning to get those done next week. This week I went to honda to see what the damage will be. A friend of mine told me that I would be paying too much for tires but the estimate for the check up sounds right. I wanted to write all those down, and ask you people if they sound right or not. If not what else can be done, etc.

First of all, my bike is: 05 Honda CBR 600 F4i, It has 14500 miles on it. I bought it second hand when it was 10000 miles.

Here is the service estimate:

TIRE 120/70ZR17F MICHELIN PILOTS $125.95
TIRE 180/55ZR17F MICHELIN PILOTS $141.95
LABOR R/R FRONT TIRE $39.00
LABOR R/R REAR TIRE $46.80
SUPPLIES $5.15
SUBTOTAL : $358.85

What do you think about those rates?

I also want to get full service check up including new filter, oil, etc. it will cost me $147.95

Is there anything sounds wrongs to you? Is there any other way that I can get things done and my last question is what is a "PERFORM FULL SERVICE" consist of? It just says perform full service and 117.00 next to it. What is that?

Thank you so much in advance!

Tires/rims ON bike...that's not bad.

I'd let them do it, unless you have a machine, or a ton of pry bars, soft cloths to not ding your rims, and sweat and patience.

I've done tires the old fashioned way, and after about 10 of them...the thrill is gone.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:50 AM

If the guys are cool, let you watch 'em work, throw them a $20 for a beer or whatever after work.

Those guys don't make much...maybe $10-$15 an hour for the young guys, no "degree" in mechanics.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:31 AM

I would like to see a write-up of what they did on their "full service". A good dealer/shop should detail the seperate jobs they did as part of the service. What demon says is generally what's included for that price (approx. 1.5 hours labor). If you want the spark plugs changed, you should prob.expect another 50 bucks or so tacked on to that as its somewhat of a pain to swap 'em out.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 AM

Whoops...misssed the oil and filter.

You should do that yourself...I do mine although I recently let a place do my oil and filter while they mounted the last set of Michelins
I'll ever buy.

If you have jack stands at all....and take the tires to the dealer, he should install the tires for less than $10 a wheel if you buy them there.

Oil and filter should be no more than $5 labor...mostly just pay for oil and the filter.

Plugs on a sportbike...add .5 to .7 of an hour labor...dealership should have their models down pretty well.

Make sure they don't cross thread them.

When you have the valves adjusted, make sure and watch them do it.

If they won't let you...take it somewhere that will..same with transmisssion, clutch plates, anything like that.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 AM

The price for the tires and the install is not bad, but it sounds to me like you paid over $100.00 for an oil change. The dealership I use charges $45.00 for a oil and filter change and they inspect the whole bike and make minor adjustments if needed. Back in SEP I had a full service done and that was plugs, valve adjustment, oil change,carb snyc, clutch adjustment, coolant and brake flush and they cleaned and oiled my K&N. I also got a manual CCT and a Vortex/RK 520 and had them installed and got out the door for $750.00 for everything/parts and lobor.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:08 PM

The actual tire prices seem reasonable, but the labor seems high to me. My local shop charges $25 per tire install if on the bike and if off the bike they will mount and balance for free when you buy the tire from them. Of course, that isn't the dealer, so YMMV.

As to the oil change and "check" -that seems really high to me. Even full syn and OEM filter is $50 DIY. (and Dino is cheaper) So, that basically $100 to unscrew a drain plug and filter, and then look at everything else. If they are going to change the brake fluid and coolant, then that's another story, but chances are they'll look at it the same way you do every few weeks. And I wondered why people called it a stealership.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM

That seems really high to me.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

That seems really high to me.

I get tires done on bike for $20 if you buy them there. Maintenance stuff I just do myself. Easy enough if you have a manual.

Quick Reply: Need Advice On My Service Estimate