Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Narrowed it down to 2 new bikes or do I go used?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowed it down to 2 new bikes or do I go used?

Well I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes I am debating on.... I previously had a 94 CBR 600 F2. I repainted it and had my fun then got rid of it after 1 1/2 years. Any who, I have driven my buddies 05 RR and I love it. I have also driven my friends 08 R6s, which I like also but cant get over the void between the rear of the front tire and the lower plastics. eww....

Here are my options

Now I have yet to drive a gsxr, other than an 05 1000 with crappy tires.
Also I have yet to drive a new style CBR 600

Now im not sure if I want to get a 08 or 09. I plan on getting it in winter 10/11 or spring of 11.

Any suggestions? I have also thought about going used, 04/05 RR or 06 gsxr 600, maybe 750?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by 99LS1; 03-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered Users

The Gixxer's are nice bikes, but I think you would appreciate the Cbr600RR more (Or even the 1000RR). They are great bikes! I would definitely go used though either way though. Unless money is not an issue. The value of anything purchased new significantly drops once it leaves the lot. You will have to be cautious though, cause a lot of people abuse sport bikes. Especially the 600's! Make sure you buy from someone who knows a bit about their bike and how to work on it themselves. Just look out for signs that show they respect their bike and are willing to put in the time and effort to take care of it. Let me know if that helps.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 PM

My opinion is one sided, ride red or go home. With that being side, would recommend the CBR any day of the week. GSXR gets a bad rap from stunters. Plus if you wheelie, which I do not recommend at all, the frame is known to snap at the neck from the front wheel being put down to hard. With that said, good luck with your decision. Remember ride red or go home.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 PM

IMHO I think Suzuki's are POS's: cheaply made, not very reliable, and don't hold their value as well as a Honda. They've got a great reputation because of the talent of their racing teams for the past decade, but that doesn't translate to the street. When was the last time a Gixxer won a sportbike shoot out comparo? Of course, this IS the CBR Forum, and not the GSX-R Forum, so I am hoping you were expecting a little brand loyalty from any reponses to this question!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:18 AM

I dont have the brand loyalty like some do. Honda's make great bikes and that's why I own one. However, a lot can depend on what year you buy. Regarless of what some will tell you, there are years that Gixxer's were better than Honda's, Yamaha's better than Kawasaki...ect. Every manufacturer out there has produced some amazing bikes, and every manufacturer has had held the title "bike of the year".

For example, if I had to buy a 600cc bike that was an 03, I wouldn't pick the CBR. I would probably pick the 636 ninja. Even the R6 of 03 was a better bike IMHO. I've ridden all of those bikes in 03 from friends that bought them new. The CBR would not have been on my list to own.

The whole "ride red or go home" attitude will surely make you miss the chance of riding, or owning some amazing bikes. As long its on two wheels, I'll be glad to ride it.

Having said that, If I were buying any 600cc newer than 08, it'd be the CBR.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone. I figured it would be a bit bias towards Honda but I really like the undertail exhaust, but I love the white on the gsxr.

Now I guess I wonder if I should get used or new. Nothing is better than a brand spanking new baby lol, but used I can save quite a bit of money and I am taking classes at a community college for MST (motorcycle service technology).

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justasquid
I dont have the brand loyalty like some do. Honda's make great bikes and that's why I own one. However, a lot can depend on what year you buy. Regarless of what some will tell you, there are years that Gixxer's were better than Honda's, Yamaha's better than Kawasaki...ect. Every manufacturer out there has produced some amazing bikes, and every manufacturer has had held the title "bike of the year".

For example, if I had to buy a 600cc bike that was an 03, I wouldn't pick the CBR. I would probably pick the 636 ninja. Even the R6 of 03 was a better bike IMHO. I've ridden all of those bikes in 03 from friends that bought them new. The CBR would not have been on my list to own.

The whole "ride red or go home" attitude will surely make you miss the chance of riding, or owning some amazing bikes. As long its on two wheels, I'll be glad to ride it.

Having said that, If I were buying any 600cc newer than 08, it'd be the CBR.
+1,000,000

I like hondas and, all else equal, I'd choose honda any day of the week. On the other hand.. Suzuki makes some good bikes just like all the other Jap brands.

What you should do is go sit on the bikes, get a test ride in if you can.

I'd worry more about which feels better sitting on it than what a bunch of biased people on a Honda forum say.

What kind of answer do you expect to get here? lol

Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by 99LS1
Thanks everyone. I figured it would be a bit bias towards Honda but I really like the undertail exhaust, but I love the white on the gsxr.

Now I guess I wonder if I should get used or new. Nothing is better than a brand spanking new baby lol, but used I can save quite a bit of money and I am taking classes at a community college for MST (motorcycle service technology).
White GSXR's are unbelievably played out... they are everywhere..

Ya know there's an 07 white CBR600 exactly the same as the 08 you are looking at in orange.

IMO it looks much better too

even though I hate white bikes :P

here's a pic

The white paint Sparkles a LOT in the sun too. It's the first and only white bike I like the look of.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 AM

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM

I have rode a few bikes and seems nothing compared to my 08 cbr 600rr. loved that bike, and then i started looking at the 1000. my 08 1000rr rides like the 600 just with some added power just my would buy the 08 600rr

Quick Reply: Narrowed it down to 2 new bikes or do I go used?