Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My wife asked...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My wife asked...

Flatulence.

Most Americans get far more protein in their diets than they really need. So unless she's a strict vegetarian and/or doing some really serious bodybuilding or strength training, she probably doesn't need it.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any type of protein has to be broken down by your kidneys. The more you consume, the harder your kidneys have to work. There have been stories of body builders who experienced kidney failure because they just took way too much protein. A good diet rule of thumb is: 40% complex and fibrous carbs, 40% protein, and 20% good fats.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Not sure but check here:
www.wannabebig.com

lots of real world powerlifters,bodybuilders etc..Both mail and female.
Should be able to give you the exact answers you need.

I prefer whey protein myself mixed with water.

Actually rule of thumb is 1~1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.Esp if working out..The stories of lifters having kidney problems was due to not taking in enough water..Without enough water protein in ANY form can cause issues with the kidneys..

Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: white99gt

Not sure but check here: www.wannabebig.com lots of real world powerlifters,bodybuilders etc..Both mail and female.
Should be able to give you the exact answers you need.

I prefer whey protein myself mixed with water.

Actually rule of thumb is 1~1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.Esp if working out..The stories of lifters having kidney problems was due to not taking in enough water..Without enough water protein in ANY form can cause issues with the kidneys..

Yeah, I'm pretty high on protein intake (not quite as much as I weigh, but close), but I drink LOADS of water. Today alone I had 3/4 of a gallon total.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Retired Moderator

Whey protein is good, and I don't see anything wrong with soy protein. Stay away from casein protein because it is ****. What is your wife doing? Does she want to bulk up (probably not)? If not, she should just eat chicken breast, tuna, top sirloin, egg whites,etc. No need for protein shakes really. If she really wants to replace a meal with a shake, I wouldhighly recommend "High 5" protein. It is like a time release protein, as it combines more that one type (plus it tastes good, is low fat, and low carb). Usually, proteinthat tastes really good also includes too much fat. Keep us posted.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Definately gas

Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Rubicon on 38s

Any type of protein has to be broken down by your kidneys. The more you consume, the harder your kidneys have to work. There have been stories of body builders who experienced kidney failure because they just took way too much protein. A good diet rule of thumb is: 40% complex and fibrous carbs, 40% protein, and 20% good fats.
False, unless you have a pre-existing condition. Correlation does not equal causation.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:11 PM

I use whey protien. It says Lactose free on the container also.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Gringo

False, unless you have a pre-existing condition. Correlation does not equal causation.

You are free to do all the damage you want to your kidneys. Me? I think I'll trust my masters degree nutritionist sister.

BTW, the first google I did of the topic brought up 5 '.org' sites all suggesting high protein diets can cause kidney problems in even the most hydrated athletes.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 AM

ive been told that soy protein will raise your estragin levels. should be ok for her but not for guys. unless you really want *****.

Quick Reply: My wife asked...