Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty cool, I likey the 8spd. I have a Rocky Mountain Element, I love it. it is always better to have another hobby, so you don't get burnt out on one. Go Fast!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
lol - too bad Zach - as someone that has been an avid mountain biker since the mid 90's, you fit the profile of becoming what we call a "weight weenie". It's a description of people who will spend inordinate amounts of money to have the lightest rig they can. Typically even at the cost of functionality, comfort or durability - sub 14 lb full suspensions bikes? 7pound road bikes? It's a sickness, and thankfully one I never got into too badly. Check out Light-Bikes - World's Largest Gallery of Light Weight Bikes .

This is my newest build - just got it on the trails a few weeks ago:

09 Spechy Stumpjumper Marathon Comp 29er frame.
Carbon rigid fork
Set up singlespeed,
Stylo team crankset
Chris King headset
Hope hubs
Tubeless wheel/tire setup
Just over 20 lbs the way it sits right now.

I've whittled the quiver down to my singlespeed, my geared full suspension, and a roadbike. I was planning on upgrading my geared bike to something with 29" wheels, but me and the wife found out we've got a tax-deduction on the way, so we're into saving mode.

At least she hasn't told me to get rid of any of the 5 2-wheeled vehicles I have in the garage - she knows she couldn't deal with me all grumpy.

lol how do i fit in the weight weenie profile? i only spent 100 bucks for all my parts haha, ide hardly say im spending large amounts of money to save weight....

Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM

yet! my first bike only cost me 300 bucks.. within a month I had to rebuild the shock 3 times replace two sets of rims, tires and peddels.... my next bike was 1000 and thats before i replaced the brakes, bars, stem, cranks, BB, peddles, tire and shock.... my latest one was 3600... 600 more then I spent on my cbr... and I'm looking for a norther ATM lol...It doesn't matter what kinda "bike" you have. you have an addiction if you want to believe it or not and its only a matter of time before it shows... best of luck!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 AM

^^^ yea im not that extreme, ill just be using if for a few simple local trails, and to ride around town

i cant fathom spending that amount of money on a bike

Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM

yeah, once you start getting into high end freeride/downhill part it gets pricy fast...

but I think its worth it for this :

Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM

or this lol, someone, dont suppose you have any extra parts laying around youde be willing to donate to a good cause? haha, ide really prefer a new crank, and need a set of non dry rotted tires

‪[MTB] Mountainbike Freeride Mix in HD‬‏ - YouTube

but yea... im not that extreme haha

Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM

and sumone, or junky, do you guys both run a mono gear?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM

HAHA now thats sick...

I don't have too many extra parts that are still in working order, but Ill look around. I know I have a set of street/ hard pack tires.. maybe a set of trail tires some place

two of my bikes are single speed (DJ and fixie) but my big bike is single ring in front and a 8gear cassette in back... I wish I had went with a two ring front set up, would make climbing hills so much better!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Freeriding is what I do around Indy+trails. It is too trendy to have a fixie(associated w/ being gay)here. When you are deep within the MTB culture, you follow the flow. Even woman heckle you(Damn!). We have a great freeride scene, plus we have solid trails south of Indy, they are great. Plus another thing I have to wear a helmet for(I am starting to see a pattern here, LoL).

Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
Freeriding is what I do around Indy+trails. It is too trendy to have a fixie(associated w/ being gay)here. When you are deep within the MTB culture, you follow the flow. Even woman heckle you(Damn!). We have a great freeride scene, plus we have solid trails south of Indy, they are great. Plus another thing I have to wear a helmet for(I am starting to see a pattern here, LoL).
lol before you go getting ideas my fixie is set up for bike polo (wait I'm not sure that is any better.. haha) ...Its almost required to be able to peddel backwards and fowards.

hmmm where do you live again? I may be moving lol