Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My friend got into an accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Ride like everyone/thing else is out to kill you!!!
This is great advice! Thanks

Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AmyNxDx
I have heard about this situation a few times. Someone turning left in front of the bike. Glad your friend didn't get hurt too bad.

So in this sort of situation, when you know you will not be able to stop in time and swerving wouldn't help, should you hit the car straight on and maybe fly over or try to slide into it going sideways? I'm new at riding and want to know ahead of time the safest and best way if this ever happens.

Thanks!
I think y'all are thinking there is only 1 response. That's not so.

Braking & Swerving

No situation is static on the road. As soon as you begin applying brakes, the situation begins to change. You begin trading space & speed for time. The other vehicle may remain in motion, providing an opening behind them. They may brake or stop, providing an opening in front of them. They may gas it to get out of your way, clearing the path. The situation remains fluid until everything on the street comes to a complete stop.

Ideally, you give yourself enough cushion that a car suddenly turning left in front of you doesn't force an emergency. But sometimes, for whatever reason, we don't. A good rider has multiple plans for a given situation. And as the situation changes can formulate multiple responses to keep time.

Another thread you might wanna read: Analysis of a Near Hit. The final conclusions were that I was riding way too close. And something else I figured out later was that my tires were still cold. But bailing was never a consideration. Worse come to worse, they'll have to pry the throttle outta my dead cold hands

Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Kuroshio those 2 posts were great reads! Thanks

Keep points are to practice (glad the MSF helped me do that a bunch!) and keeping extra distance. Although sometimes extra distance means you get cut off more... lol

Thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
But bailing was never a consideration. Worse come to worse, they'll have to pry the throttle outta my dead cold hands
+a billion to that. Isabelle would never forgive me

Old 09-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Glad he is okay.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
+a billion to that. Isabelle would never forgive me
Come on now people! "Isabelle" and whatever Kuro calls his is replaceable.....I prefer my extremeties and life. Screw that 954 there are plenty out there to replace her with......

Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
Come on now people! "Isabelle" and whatever Kuro calls his is replaceable.....I prefer my extremeties and life. Screw that 954 there are plenty out there to replace her with......

Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What pimp, you think it's because I value my bike so much (her name is Ororo btw)? The minute you bail, you are completely out of control. Physics and whatever god(s) you believe in have the throttle.

Next, by the time you bail off you are already past the point where it might do you any real good. In the car turning left scenario, you're gonna end jumbled up with the bike & the car and anybody that decided to join the fun. Only improvement is you chose a lowside over... what? Because if you don't end up in the metal pretzel, you bailed too soon. Fact is the minute you hit the brakes, the situation has changed and keeps changing. You begin trading space & speed for time. And in that time the situation evolves, presenting new options that didn't exist before.

But hey, go ahead and compound one mistake with another because you got scared. Unless you're in a dead end alley (or going off a cliff) with no brakes, there is almost always another opportunity to take so long as you keep your head and look for it.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
Isabelle told me she doesn't like you.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Isabelle told me she doesn't like you.
^^^Are you saying that if you listen...your bike will tell you something is wrong??

Good to know your friend survived the crash, and hopefully will be able to ride again. Some people aren't lucky enough to be able to ride again.

Quick Reply: My friend got into an accident