Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My 4th Amendment Rights (or lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 4th Amendment Rights (or lack thereof)

I have my visor off and just wear glasses inside the helmet when riding around town. For twisties or road trip the visor would go on.

I don't know PA law but in OH you just have to have eye protection.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 PM

I was with shoort buss that night. They were just being dicks. Every car that went through that checkpoint they let through and without having anything checked. they stopped every bike that went through and asked them questions and verbally harrassed them. As for the whole visor issue. I alsoexchanged wordswith a cop about this issue. i was sitting in the checkpoint whenhe came up to check my bike out.he told me to put my visor down. i told the cop that it was fogging up and iopened it up to get some airflow while i was sitting here idling at about 225 degree's. hetold methat he couldcare less put the visor down or get a ticket.[:@]

Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM

i was there when they had this checkpoint. i go there ever thursday. i was angry at the waiting in ltraffic.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Cops are jerks for the most part. I got pulled over doing 5 MPH in a parking lot because my shield was cracked open on the first click. It was a 94 outside and I was going to class (a long while back). A cop had someone else pulled over and yelled "SHIELD!!!!' so I slapped the shield down. He yelled at me to pull over so I did. He then proceeds to yell at the top of his lungs about what I am doing wrong and my $hitty attitude. Now the 4 people in front of the building about 50 feet away hear him and can't believe it.

So i just figured since I already had a ticket, I would push it. He came back over and explained the ticket. I politely signed it and looked him right in the face. I told him, "if you are going to enforce the law, maybe you should obey it...". He got really bent out of shape yelled "what are you talking about". I told him very nicely that the Ray Bans he was wearing were not shatterproof and he was breaking the law. He said they were shatter resistant and I told him the law states they have to be shatterproof. Needless to say, I got told off some more.

A half hour later I reported him to his supervisor. The supervisor kept trying to get me to lose my cool, but I wouldn't. Ten minutes later, Mr. motorcycle cop was called back to the station and giving me an apology...

Sometimes life works out By the way, I took the ticket to court and beat it...

Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM

FTP anyone?

This is what gives cops a bad name...and makes me glad i didn't go on that cruise...i'm another ****sburgh resident...and i know the flack that cops like the throw when it comes to bikes(especially us sportbike riders).

Old 06-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: fbeatty1

Cops are jerks for the most part. I got pulled over doing 5 MPH in a parking lot because my shield was cracked open on the first click. It was a 94 outside and I was going to class (a long while back). A cop had someone else pulled over and yelled "SHIELD!!!!' so I slapped the shield down. He yelled at me to pull over so I did. He then proceeds to yell at the top of his lungs about what I am doing wrong and my $hitty attitude. Now the 4 people in front of the building about 50 feet away hear him and can't believe it.

So i just figured since I already had a ticket, I would push it. He came back over and explained the ticket. I politely signed it and looked him right in the face. I told him, "if you are going to enforce the law, maybe you should obey it...". He got really bent out of shape yelled "what are you talking about". I told him very nicely that the Ray Bans he was wearing were not shatterproof and he was breaking the law. He said they were shatter resistant and I told him the law states they have to be shatterproof. Needless to say, I got told off some more.

A half hour later I reported him to his supervisor. The supervisor kept trying to get me to lose my cool, but I wouldn't. Ten minutes later, Mr. motorcycle cop was called back to the station and giving me an apology...

Sometimes life works out By the way, I took the ticket to court and beat it...
Good for you for beating it...I wish I had the time or inclination to fight this one, but I don't. The money isn't the issue at all here, and with the lack of points, I don't really care to just plea guilty on this one.

lonewolf, you'll have to join us for the Century III bike night next wed or something.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Sorry to hear about what you feel was a violation of the 4th ammendment, but I'm failing to see how a checkpoint comes into play there. Sure the cops were being dicks, but I've also come across managers of stores who are dicks. Guess that means all managers are dicks

Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: camaro_forums

Sorry to hear about what you feel was a violation of the 4th ammendment, but I'm failing to see how a checkpoint comes into play there. Sure the cops were being dicks, but I've also come across managers of stores who are dicks. Guess that means all managers are dicks
I just don't feel that their search of my bike and other bikes was reasonable or warranted...that's all. This is, of course, open to interpretation and based on the responses I can see this turning into another cbrforum debate, but everybody has a different interpretation of the law. It's kinda split to be honest...but before you call my opinion stupid, just google the term "sobriety checkpoint + 4th amendment" and you'll get a taste of what I'm talking about here far better than I can explain it in legal terms.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 AM

They searched your bike? Made you lift the seat? I mean how much can you "search" on a bike?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:33 AM

You guys mentioned that you wear sunglasses and don't get hasseled, but I was wondering what do you guys do when you ride at night??

Quick Reply: My 4th Amendment Rights (or lack thereof)