Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

my 1st ride on a 1000...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my 1st ride on a 1000...

so i have a '01 F4i and its my first bike. i've had it for 15 months now and i've put 30k miles on it (really i put 30k on it in 13 months, it was down for 2 seperate months, one for speedo sensor....long story, and one month for hitting a deer, this past May). i have never EVER ridden anything other than my F4i and i've gotten quite used to its power and where the power is on this bike.

well a friend of mine has a '05 1000RR, his 1st bike that he started out on. he's a very skilled rider, i think....and always asks me to ride it. i usually laugh and say no, yet im ALWAYS wondering what the big difference is between the two bikes. we will come to stop lights and he'll always got off his bike and come up to mine asking to switch and let me ride his 1000 and i always turn down the offer, telling him the power would prob. scare me coupled w/ the fact that i've never ridden any other bike besides mine.

well today....he got me, haha. we were at a traffic light and he was behind me, he yelled out "chinese firedrill" and shut off his bike and walked up to mine, the light was JUST about to turn green for us and he wouldnt go away, lol...so i said screw it and ran back to his bike and threw my leg over.............................................. ......wow!!!!!!!!

this bike was amazing! on my F4i to get ANY kind of power out of it from around 60mph i have to kick down to 2nd....but on this bike i was able to stay in 6th and just yank on the throttle and felt like i would just take off like the speed of light! what power this bike has, definatley jealous of you guys w/ the 1000's now. dont get me wrong, i love my F4i on back roads but this 1000 felt amazing! so much torque.....SO MUCH torque! he also was loving how nimble my bike was in the turns, how easily the bike just effortlessly dipped over in the turns. i definately wont turn down the offer to ride it anymore, haha.

i finaly paid off my F4i this month and im really considering making my next bike a 1000. i'd love to have the '06 yellow/blue, gorgeous bike! of COURSE i'd keep my F4i, that bike is staying w/ me forever, i never plan on giving up my 1st bike whether its wrecked in pieces, wont start anymore, or running 100% fine....its staying w/ me. but today's ride on that 1000 has me wanting one, lol!

sorry for the lame, boring post...but just thought i'd share my experience.

........what a ride!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my 1st ride on a 1000...

Welcome to the big boys club Now go get one of your own

Old 07-06-2008, 06:02 PM

I know someone with an 05 1krr... perhaps I shall take it for a ride now....

Is it really that cool?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
RCR

It has been years since I have rode a 600 and wonder what it is like going from a 1K down to a 600 and trying some turns.

But I would never leave the power of a1000.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend once gave me ago of their 96 Fireblade ... it was a few years back and I do remember how well it picked up even from 2500 to 3000rpm .. it just felt very torquey to me without being uncontrollable ..it was nice but I do prefer my 600 I like the gentler power lower down and the fact that if I do wind it up I have real acceleration too ... the other thing I noticed was the higher gear ratios the 900 had a much taller 1st gear ..it's why the 600 can feel so nippy especially in town with it's lower ratio gears ...

Jules

Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what gearing do you have? My F4 pulls fine in 6th. In the mtns I rarely shift down into 2nd, usually stay in 3rd of 4th. and in all the above case I'm usually going faster than reg traffic.

Not downing the power of the 1k's, just the actual need of it lol. 600's have PLENTY enough for the streets and then some, esp when geared right.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM

i know it prob sounds lame, lol...but it was an exciting ride, i swear! especially since i've been wanting to, and he's been giving me the oportunity and i always turn it down. not just the speed, but the aggressive seating of the bike. i LOVED how aggressive it felt, its what i'd love on my F4i.

omg, that bike was great. i never REALLY opened it up, i think i hit 90 tops and it did it effortlessly. he was actually pulling away from a buddy of ours on a '05 (i think) 600RR on MY bike, so pretty cool too. i just didnt open his up b/c i dont want him to think im abusing it, the bike obviously isnt mine so i didnt get into it too much. he said we can switch for a weekend some time and see how i like his 1000 in turns. its cool b/c he doesnt let many people at all ride his bike, but since i have so much seat time, in a short period of time and he trusts my riding and being on HIS bike, he let me take'er for a spin.

again..............................WOW!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
July 2008 ROTM

With power comes responsibility...

Old 07-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

what gearing do you have? My F4 pulls fine in 6th. In the mtns I rarely shift down into 2nd, usually stay in 3rd of 4th. and in all the above case I'm usually going faster than reg traffic.

Not downing the power of the 1k's, just the actual need of it lol. 600's have PLENTY enough for the streets and then some, esp when geared right.
I definitely find my F3 torquey enough ..from 4-5k rpm it pulls really well and by 7K is pulling my wee arms off ..lol ..I am only light though which may help but it is so much torquier than previous CBR incarnations I had and have ridden ... even from just 4k it pulls away smartly in top and is soon back on the pace .. I guess all our perceptions of speed and power are different and that is the crux here ..

I remember thinking a 50cc sports moped I owned at 16 was fast because I had only had a push bike to comapre it with ..our speed perceptions and sensors can change and be distorted with constant warp speeds ... ok ok I admit it I tend to just pootle along these days and look for views to photograph .. lol

Jules

Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM

yeah PG, i know its not something i need. i actually planned a group ride on friday that consisted of a ZX-14, a Hyabusa, my friends 1000RR, and my F4i.........we were KILLING the Hyabusa and the ZX-14 on backroads. it felt good to be able to hold my own against much bigger CC bikes and to have my "little 600" leave them behind in the turns

and also, PG...i dont really want to play w/ my gearing. i guess i like it how it is (and dont feel like getting a speedo-healer). not to mention losing some top end..i know i know how often do i use the top end....but still, i dont really know yet if i want to change it.

i will say getting back onto my bike about 25mins down the road, it felt like a cruiser compared to his 1000RR lol!

Quick Reply: my 1st ride on a 1000...