Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcyclist's life saved by an airbag

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcyclist's life saved by an airbag

100ft in the air???? He flew 10 stories into the air??

Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM

I only went according to the story and am still thinking that getting rid of 65 mph instantly (ground impact) would leave you with more than a broken thumb.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM

ok, so i just sent this arcticle to the super genius physics programmers that work in my studio and this is what i got from them....

"Due to rotation (that is, angular velocity), his local lineary velocity at the point of contact could be almost anything, including being quite large."

"I’m no accident expert, but it is not clear to me how they arrived at the 140 mph number. "Impact rate" is not a technical term I am familiar with. I think they made that up, and the "140" number too, just as you presumably suspected when you asked the original question, they are full of it "

so it looks like maybe some numbers were fabricated....he may have hit the ground with a little more force then 70 mph depending on the trajectory angle, if he was rotating in flight and what angle he hit the ground at, butprobably not at 140

Old 10-16-2007, 03:01 PM

i dunno. i still don't get the 140mph... no matter how hard i think about it. if you're following the speed of traffic, and you rear end someone.

ejected 100 feet in the air hitting the ground at an impact rate of 140 mph
isn't terminal velocity for a human being 120mph or so? and doesn't it take about 300 or 400 feet to reach that speed?

i think someone needs to draw me a picture to make me understand that.

sorry, i'll stop being a scientist now.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Too much math. Even at 70, walking away with those injuries is awesome. That jacket would be an excellent thing to have.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ka619rtKid

ok, so i just sent this arcticle to the super genius physics programmers that work in my studio and this is what i got from them....

"Due to rotation (that is, angular velocity), his local lineary velocity at the point of contact could be almost anything, including being quite large."

"I’m no accident expert, but it is not clear to me how they arrived at the 140 mph number. "Impact rate" is not a technical term I am familiar with. I think they made that up, and the "140" number too, just as you presumably suspected when you asked the original question, they are full of it "

so it looks like maybe some numbers were fabricated....he may have hit the ground with a little more force then 70 mph depending on the trajectory angle, if he was rotating in flight and what angle he hit the ground at, butprobably not at 140
Ok, the angular part makes a little sense...If he is rotating...say he in a forward flip, head over heals...this means that the outside of his head and feet are constantly accelerating. And so his head is in essence moving faster that the body as a whole. Think of his head being at the end of a baseball bat.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I'm not far from Baltimore, was on that road this weekend and the speed limit isn't 70. The news author officially is a sensationalist who bought stock in the company that makes the jacket.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I could just see myself forgetting to detach the rip cord, and when I go to get off my bike POOF! I'm the damned Michelin man.
I am not sure if this one is the same as the review I read awhile back on WBW, but they said that it takes more force than walking away to initiate inflation. I am pretty sure they gave that a thought in designing it.

There's enough play (about 30-60cm, or 12" - 18") in the coiled cable to allow dismounting with the device still attached, but it's not hard to remember that you're connected to the bike. As soon as I swing a leg off my bike, I can feel the tug of the cable, saying "Hey, remember me?".

The directions indicate that it takes somewhere around 8-12kg (~17-26 lbs.) of force before the airbag will activate, so it's unlikely that it would inflate just by walking away from the bike with the cable still attached.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/airba...bag-jacket.htm

Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Here we go. It's only a matter of time until insurance companies will pressure states to pass laws requiring riders to wear these in order to provide medical coverage.

Mark my words.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:53 PM

I dont' think I'd have a problem wearing one... as long as it protects like it should...

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist's life saved by an airbag