CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Motorcycle Title Transfer CT to NY (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/motorcycle-title-transfer-ct-ny-140064/)

le nitro 07-09-2012 03:10 PM

Motorcycle Title Transfer CT to NY

Hi guys,

I'm having no luck contacting the DMV (literally every call goes to due to a high call volume, etc.) I'm guessing they've disconnected their telephone services since this has happened to me every time I've called for the past week.

I've recently purchased a motorcycle and the title was never registered by the new owner. He had filled his information out on the back of the title but never registered it in NYS. (It's a CT bike)

Next Monday I plan on going to the DMV to register the bike but I'm wondering if I'm going to run into an issue because the title was signed by a person who never ended up registering it and I cannot sign my name in there.

Should I get a *bill of sale* from the *original* owner?

-Mike

CTcbr929 07-09-2012 05:34 PM

Yea have the owner make a bill of sale and have his name and his signature on it. And scan and email it to you or fax it.

Then maybe you can just use white out over the other persons name and sign your name??

IDK hoped this helped a lil bit I don't see you having an issue tho if you just explain the situation to the person at the counter

Turbulenz 07-09-2012 08:19 PM

NYS DMV sucks.. they are so 'by the book' but it seems that every other peson that works there has a different book..

So now wait..you bought the bike from someone that:

1) name is listed on the title as the owner/seller
2) name is listed on the title as the buyer
3) name is not listed on the title at all

If its "1", you are fine.. fill out an MV82 and a DTF802

If it's "2", then the person that you bought it from has to title it in NY in their name.. then once they get the title in their name, they can sign it over to you

If it's "3", good luck.. it's going to be a major pain...

good luck!

le nitro 07-09-2012 10:04 PM

I believe it's 2 - As in Original Owner sold the bike to Party A. Party A signed his name on the back of the title but never got a new title with his name. Party B(Me) Purchased the bike but realized that the back of the title was signed over to the individual I purchased it from (party a).

My idea is to say "Well the original owner sold it to Party A" but before he registered the title in his name he returned the bike since he bought it against his family's wishes." I then purchased the bike but noticed the title was signed over to Party A.

I have a feeling this is going to be a huge pain in the ass. I can't just white it out because there are rules on the DMV site that state you cannot write over whomever signed the title. Which is bullsh*t if you ask me.

In the end I may have to contact the seller, have him register it under his name and then have to wait for a title transfer to me.

It's seeming like such a huge task. I'm almost turned off by the fact this happened. Why in the world would you sign the title without having the intent of registering hte bike!!!

adrenalnjunky 07-09-2012 11:02 PM

it's a double title transfer - which have different rules in different states - but, is the title that the guy you bought from notarized where he signed it? (stamped and embossed) if some then the DMV will probably have the paperwork to do the double transfer - sounds like the forms turbulenz mentioned. You'll probably be liable for the double transfer fees - I know that's how it is here.

you know - this stuff is so simple to do - and I can't fathom how people don't get this shiz straight when they buy the stuff. Title takes less than 2 weeks to show up in the mail every time I've done one.

I think most people don't realize they are just titling the bike, not registering it to put it on the strees (which would require insurance).

course that begs the question of how long was he riding illegal, since you can't plate a bike without the title in your name.

Jeffcbr600f2 07-10-2012 02:08 AM

Good luck man. I didn't even realize when I bought a Yamaha that I had this problem. The guy just handed me the title and I was like all good. After I got home I realized that he had signed the buyer section and never retitled it in his name. My options where get him to title it in his name but he wouldn't reply to me, hunt down the original owner and ask him to get a new title and sign it over to me or register it in a certain state that will allow you to register older vechicles with no title. Luckily for me the bike was old so I was able to register it in that state then register it my state and when they asked for title I said this state doesn't issue titles for vechicles this old so the registration is my proof of ownership.

le nitro 07-10-2012 02:39 AM

How am I supposed to register a bike in a state that doesn't require a title on an older bike. It's probably a bit tricky.

I highly doubt I'll be able to track down the seller to title it for me as well. Oh man I worried that this was going to be a pain in the ass. I'll give it my best shot. I probably have better luck tracking the individual the title is registered to.

Jeffcbr600f2 07-10-2012 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by le nitro (Post 1175853)
How am I supposed to register a bike in a state that doesn't require a title on an older bike. It's probably a bit tricky.

I highly doubt I'll be able to track down the seller to title it for me as well. Oh man I worried that this was going to be a pain in the ass. I'll give it my best shot. I probably have better luck tracking the individual the title is registered to.

Well what year is this bike? It's pretty easy to do but I don't really care to explain it in the public forum. If you run into real trouble you can try a professional company such as broadwaytitle.com but these places tend to be expensive and most the bike has to be 15 years old or more. You can blame crooked car dealers for this being such a pain in the ass. Title washing was getting out of hand so states have made it very tough to impossible to register without a title. I would go to the NY DMV first though. They may be able to tell you if there's any other way but with my experience in MA and CT it's not likely.

Turbulenz 07-10-2012 07:17 AM

Not sure where on the island you are, but I have heard that the bethpage DMV is the quickest.. It's small and located in a shopping center, but not that many people seem to go there.. Garden City takes some time.. Don't. Other with the call number.. I spoke to someone on the phone about a title issue, ANSI followed what they said only to behold at the DMVthat the inopformation was wrong.. Whatever they tell you to do, get it in writing.. For me they wrote it on a green sheet that I could refer back to just in case.. And get the supervisors name..just cover your bases..

Good luck! It might take time but I "think" it could be done.. If not you should be able to get your money back from the seller since he never legally owned the bike to get rid of it..

le nitro 07-10-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz (Post 1175885)
Not sure where on the island you are, but I have heard that the bethpage DMV is the quickest.. It's small and located in a shopping center, but not that many people seem to go there.. Garden City takes some time.. Don't. Other with the call number.. I spoke to someone on the phone about a title issue, ANSI followed what they said only to behold at the DMVthat the inopformation was wrong.. Whatever they tell you to do, get it in writing.. For me they wrote it on a green sheet that I could refer back to just in case.. And get the supervisors name..just cover your bases..

Good luck! It might take time but I "think" it could be done.. If not you should be able to get your money back from the seller since he never legally owned the bike to get rid of it..

I've contacted the seller to inform him of the situation. I highly doubt this person is going to respond to be honest. The cost of getting an out of state title is worth more then my bike. So I may be throwing it up for sale unless I can somehow get the original owner to send me a duplicate title.

I'm 10min from the bethpage DMV. I need to go to garden city to renew my MJ permit.