Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Met a squid today at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Met a squid today at the dealership

well today me and my girl were on our bikes, full gear on, etc. had to run to the dealer to pick up a part and as we pull up i notice one of the salesmen and a guy and a girl standing around a beautiful brand new black 1000RR. i notice the guy has a helmet in his hand and his girl is holding the helmet box, gloves and jacket with the tags on them still. i'm like ok he must have just bought this bike and i think he's smart by gettin all the gear too. so i get off the bike and ask him if he just bought and he replied with a "yup!" the sales guy was showing him the controls and functions on the bike. i asked him if it was brand new and the sales guy said yes. so i said nice bike and we went in to get the part. the funny thing was the guy had on dickies shorts, t shirt, and those skateboard type shoes with the big shoestrings. i figured he was a noob since the guy was showing him how to start it and stuff. dunno why he thought he needed a 1000RR but oh well. so we come out and notice his girl is pulled up next to him in her car and he hands her the jacket and all the gear he bought except for the helmet which he had on. so i ask him what kinda bike he had before he got the 1000RR. he said its his first bike. i'm like "WHAT, and u bought a 1000?!" i asked him if he has ever rode before and he was like "my brothers ride" i'm said "why you buy all that gear and put it in your girls car?" he just shrugged his shoulders. i just told him he's a dumbass and that he'll learn the lesson the hard way. i knew he was just thinking bout the bike and having his girl ride with him on back so they would think look cool. so we laughed at him and left. we saw him going down the road real slow and then he turned and looked pretty unstable doing it. its amazing the salesmen will let guys like this get on a 1000RR or any sportbike for that matter that have no experience or knowledge. but he said his brothers ride so i guess he can ride too. just wanted to share my story. anyone else have this experience with a squid?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Default RE: Met a squid today at the dealership

Instead of slamming him for being ignorant, you should have told him to pull over and put his damn gear on before he got himself hurt. Sounds like the guy was just ignorant. at least he made the effort to buy some sort of gear, which means there might be hope for him, if he get's the propper guidance from someone who knows better...

Old 04-14-2007, 09:05 PM

yeah i didn't slam him as bad as u think. at least he bought it though. i think he was too excited to realize. i gave him the cbrforum.com website so hope starts gearing up.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM

when I bought my first bike, it was an impulse buy and I had no idea how to ride. It was only a Suz DR200. But I told the sales man I would pick it up that night. Iwent to get it with my buddy and just practiced staring and stopping in the parking lot. I then took the motorcycle test 2 days later. If I had tried this on a 1000RR i would of died. I am guessing he did. Oh btw I have NEVER ridden without a helmet for more than 40 feet. (putting bike in garage and all)

Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Cool,...
hopefully he'll read this, and realize you don't get near the bike without first wearing gear.

I understand sometimes we need to be harsh with noobs (I'm one myself) because the pavement (and other misselaneous found at the side of the road) are much harsher/unforgiving

Old 04-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your attitude was poor, and I hope he doesn't base his opinion on this forum on how you treated him.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

poor guy i feel sorry for since he will have such a AWSOME bike and never realize the potential of it . i think his lack of judgement in getting a 1kRR will show through soon but in all sincerity i hope he does the smart thing and takes the saftey course and truly learns to ride so that such a wonderful bike will not goto waste and that we dont hear of him going down and dying .

Old 04-14-2007, 11:33 PM
VP

my first bike was a 954... but I didn't ride it for a week after I bought it... I had a friend ride it home and then take me to a parking lot and we rode around there until I finally got good enough at everything to take it to the road... took the MSF later on (wish I had done it first but...you know how hindsight is)

Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 PM

I can only imagine how excited that bastard is! Such a nice bike. He obviously has no clue of the problems he could get into in no time at all.I think that the dealerships love getting those kinda guys suckered into buying a bike way out of their riding capabilities. I wonder if that guy has an idea of what that thing will cost to insure!? Last I checked it was over one hundred bucks more a month for me going from a 954 to a 1000rr. The thing that gets me the most is the no gear part. What makes an individual think that no gear ( at least a helmet) is in any way safe!? Bikes are not toys. I could go on and on about this damn subject. I see too many accidents where people don't walk away. Good luck to that guy! [/align]

Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh to be young & to think of myself as bullet proof again. My 1st bike, I ran about 5 miles to the dealership on a Saturday morning, rode it home through busy town, everyone doing their shopping, cars people every where. Only been on 1 other bike before & I had come of that one. God knows how I made it home (if fact considering, god knows how I made it this far) Luckily my step father gave me the run down on it when I got it home, I'm like "There a two brakes?" . Hopefully this guys brothers will have word in his ear before to long. He must have been sensible enough to buy the right gear for later. Here we have a rider restrictions on bike capacity, based on power output, which is a mixed blessing as a lot of people buy smaller capacity bikes, when bigger ones have better handling and brakes.

Quick Reply: Met a squid today at the dealership