CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Maybe moving to cali (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/maybe-moving-cali-149894/)

yumoncbr 11-05-2013 02:14 PM

Maybe moving to cali

Maybe, maybe, maybe I might be moving to cali next year. It is not 100% sure yet and I might not even go. but trying to get some info on what I should expect as far as car and bikes registration goes.

Both of my bikes are over 10K in mileage so I won't have issue regarding bikes not being from Cali for emission thing. Does California have annual safety check? if so.. my bikes have tons of after market parts including flush mount blinkers in the front, either slip on or full exhausts. Will I have problem with these?

As for my car, it is a new car I got March of this year but I haven't driven it too much and still only have little over 600 miles on it. Will this be a problem?

74demon 11-05-2013 02:31 PM

There is no inspection for bikes, just register it here. No emissions test needed, not yet anyway..;)

The car may be a problem. It's too new with to little miles. Last I knew, it needs to have 7500 miles on it. Just leave it registered in Hawaii until you get more miles on it, which won't take too long here on the mainland.

Where are you looking to move to?

CJardine 11-05-2013 03:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that when you bring a bike into the state that you do need to take it to the CHP or if you know a local LEO, but they just check the vin and engine numbers, and confirm the odometer reading. After that you are free to never have to get the bike inspected or anything. I can't speak for cars though, its more strict. :(.

mikesx4911 11-05-2013 03:38 PM

I just moved here from Chicago 2 months ago. Here's the low down. For the cars your good no matter what the law states that if you just moved here you can bring whatever car you want it must be emission tested though. Now once your here if you buy a car out of state than it must have at least 10k miles on it. For the bike I bought it in AZ on the way from Chicago. Came here and registered it with no problem. I didn't have a taillight, turn signals or working headlight at the time. All they did was make sure the vin's was correct and sent me on my way.

yumoncbr 11-05-2013 05:11 PM

Thanks guys. I would assume new cars will be built with emission control anyhow??

If I do move, it will be Sacramento

74demon 11-05-2013 05:35 PM

You're car should pass the emissions test with no problems.

boredandstroked 11-05-2013 06:55 PM

They haven't had seperate federal and cali emmisions for years now, so any new car will pass. Sorry to hear you gotta move there :(

yumoncbr 11-05-2013 07:03 PM

Well, I don't gotta move. If I do, that will be a choice I make....

Conrice 11-05-2013 07:42 PM

Well, I hope you get to do what you want to do (whether that be staying in Hawaii or moving to Cali).