Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

main dislike of begining of riding season

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: main dislike of begining of riding season

ORIGINAL: KingMushroom

My main dislikes about the start of "riding season" is all the salt/sand/rocks all over the place for the first few weeks. After traffic has had a chance to clear it all to the shoulders it's SOOO much better. I can't enjoy a helmetless ride at all in those conditions, too much grit makes it under the googles. That and the roads; turning anywhere, need so much more caution and ease.
you cant be serious....

And no, I am no squid.

you sure as hell sound like one

The gear I choose depends on the type of riding I plan on doing. There really isn't anything like "feeling" the ride with your whole body (mostly).
youre right dude, concreate against my skin feels like getting my dick sucked by 2 sorority girls at once

But I also recognize the "security" and quiet/peace of riding geared and helmeted. Again, depends on the type of riding I'll be doing.
Slow/casual/taking in nature/strolling/etc: No helmet, protective glasses/goggles, jeans, leather shoes, gloves, t-shirt and sometimes my mesh Shift jacket
Aggressive/fast/adrenaline/etc.: FULL gear, head to toe.

I do need new leathers though for this year, my "Chopper" jacket looks vintage now. It's seen MANY types of weather. As for the bottoms, I have yet to decide; chaps or full pant.

seriously i hope youre kidding thats the most ridiculous **** ive heard, right up there with ShadowX saying "ill bet everything i own i never go down"
i probably ride wilder than most people here but please beleive i stay geared up at all times, in fact im trying to get leathers and boots, go get your wig split because some old lady pulled out in front of you at 20 miles an hour, call me, and tell me how you were "feeling the ride" in the ambulance,

Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not old to this by any stretch, but I really can't stand riding with some people, esp. when they want to just chat at lights and speed around people. I love my gear and wear it everywhere, no matter the distance from the house. Seeing people without their own just makes me shake my head and wonder why they didn't save another few months to buy the bike and gear together. Yay for squid season!!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: JZHALES

The gear I choose depends on the type of riding I plan on doing. There really isn't anything like "feeling" the ride with your whole body (mostly).
youre right dude, concreate against my skin feels like getting my dick sucked by 2 sorority girls at once
LOL
concrete feels pretty good.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: FFCBRf4i

My main dislikes about the start of "riding season" is all the salt/sand/rocks all over the place for the first few weeks. After traffic has had a chance to clear it all to the shoulders it's SOOO much better. I can't enjoy a helmetless ride at all in those conditions, too much grit makes it under the googles. That and the roads; turning anywhere, need so much more caution and ease.

And no, I am no squid. The gear I choose depends on the type of riding I plan on doing. There really isn't anything like "feeling" the ride with your whole body (mostly). But I also recognize the "security" and quiet/peace of riding geared and helmeted. Again, depends on the type of riding I'll be doing.
Slow/casual/taking in nature/strolling/etc: No helmet, protective glasses/goggles, jeans, leather shoes, gloves, t-shirt and sometimes my mesh Shift jacket

I do need new leathers though for this year, my "Chopper" jacket looks vintage now. It's seen MANY types of weather. As for the bottoms, I have yet to decide; chaps or full pant.
I hope you're kidding.
I'm only saying this because I care. Please wear a helmet, man. Sure, I can understand if you take a nice slow stroll around that you don't want to wear a helmet, but it takes a few seconds to slap it on and you're on your way. You bought it for a reason, so get your money's worth. Also, you can't control how other people drive. You may be able to control how you drive, but that may not always be enough. Wear a helmet. Again, only because I care.
No, I'm not kidding. There are several ways to enjoy riding and I will never pidgeon hole myself into one way. It's my RIGHT to choose.

And yeah, helmets are good. But some people take them to be an end all save all and tend to get their SUPERMAN on thinking they're indestructable. I know better. I have gone down a couple times. And trust me, I am probably the most observant and defensive rider I know. When I look at traffic around me and plan on every single vehicle out there doing something wrong and set up a secondary route/lane for the what if's. You don't know how many times, well you probably have a clue, that people have looked me dead in the eyes and pulled right out in front of me.

So yeah, I do wear a helmet, depending on HOW and WHERE I plan to ride. In the end though, a helmet is good for holding your brains and head, hence the term "brain bucket". When you get down to it, over 35 mph that thing isn't doing much then offering protection against road rash and has nothing to do for curbs/bumpers/fence posts/etc. It's styrofoam, padding and plastic/fiber.

Look, the key thing here is, geared or not, ride like you are naked. Be cautious. Granted that's not always everything you can coount on, but nothing in life is. Those who never ride without helmet do miss out on a bit of what it is to be a biker. And/but to each his own. Granted I have my own opinions too, you'll never catch me in shorts, no shirts and sandals.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: JZHALES

you cant be serious....

And no, I am no squid.

you sure as hell sound like one

But I also recognize the "security" and quiet/peace of riding geared and helmeted. Again, depends on the type of riding I'll be doing.

seriously i hope youre kidding thats the most ridiculous **** ive heard, right up there with ShadowX saying "ill bet everything i own i never go down"
i probably ride wilder than most people here but please beleive i stay geared up at all times, in fact im trying to get leathers and boots, go get your wig split because some old lady pulled out in front of you at 20 miles an hour, call me, and tell me how you were "feeling the ride" in the ambulance,

I'll just say your whole post was ignorant and condescending. Part of the riding experience for lots of bikers is the FEEL of the wind on your skin, the sounds and smells around you.

I had an HD Chopper well before my first Rocket. I've riden off road/on road/track. I do know when/where I need to, when/where I should, and when/where I shouldn't.

To me, it's pretty "squid/newb/n3wb/noob" to label someone as such for having a differant view and opionion on something.

And "road rash"... whaaaa!!! I've had worse heat exhaustion then I have had road rash. And some days I'd rather risk rash from using less gear then the risk from wearing out from the heat and winding up in a ditch.

Take seat belts... .what's your postition on those? Mine: sometimes they save lives, sometimes they take them. Sometimes they keep you free from injury, sometimes they cause them. But in the end, it is MY life, MY responsibility and in being that, should be entirely MY choice.

Oh yeah, and I have had my dome split open before. I also busted six ribs front and back and busted my clavacle(collar bone). All this, while in the safety of my seat belt standing idle waiting for traffic to clear when someone crossed a double yellow at 70mph. If I'd been on a bike... gear wouldn't have mattered. Had I not had the seat belt on... no broken clavacle, no broken ribs. But I do use the seat belt time to time.

And FFCBRf4i :: I appreciate the way you came at me about it. And if you were to ride with me, you'de see exactly what I am talking about with when I do or don't use a helmet. Hell, I used to be ANTI helmet all day, but sometimes it's more comfortable to use them, other times it's not.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do what you want killa, maybe you havent been down yet, or maybe you just like to cruise the city and look nice, which is fine, like i said i probably ride wilder than you do, or maybe not but regardless, i had a friend go down doin a stunt he had on absolute lock, 2nd gear 30mph staggard, just a basic wheelie, he survived, but just barley, another minute in the ambulance hed of been dead, lets take a pole and ask how many people on here have been down at less than 30 for some stupid reason, sand, gravel, granny, soccer mom in the van, whatever, and thats a cheap way to ****ing die, if i died because someones mom pulled out in front of me in a 35mph zone, man id hafta kill myself again in the afterlife, my post was not ignorant at all, condescending, yes, and for that im sorry, but hearing someone say "you cant feel the ride" thats right off squid 101, we would like to see you continue to post here, and not read about another rider down because he hit a batch of sand at 35 and wasnt wearing a helmet, i hit the ground almost headfirst, at highway speed, and my helmet made the difference in me walkin off with a concussion, and being carried off in a bodybag, i guess darwinism takes effect here, i dont know how old you are, i dont really even care, and the longer youve been riding, the less excuse you have, but do what you want, nothing anyone here can say will have an impact, so have fun, be safe, hopefully it doesnt take a wig splitting to make people realize that a helmet is as crucial as having oil in the ****in bike

im not even gonna preach this to you mushroom, because you wont listen, oh well, for every noob reading this im gonna tho. youre head is you ****ing life, it controls every single thing that you do, every bodily function, every twitch, every thought, every time you take a ****, everytime you lay your girl, there is no way, at all to justify going on an enjoyable "helmetless ride", thats almost as stupid as playing russian roulette with a glock, and sky diving with a cape hoping you can fly, you should be thankfor for the life that you were given, every single time you get on that bike it could be your last, and simple ****, like putting on a helmet can make the difference in walking away, and beating toted off, go ahead and be a hard ***, if youve ever seen someone on their deathbed, knowing a simple click could have made the difference in life and death (i have, rip girl) youll know what im sayin.

best wishes [sm=love.gif]

Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 AM

Im going to have to agree with JZ here, Oil in the bike is a good idea....

Joking but anyways i went down at 10-15 miles an hour on gravel imagine how much that would have hurt if i wouldnt had a helmet or gear on.
Would you go skydiving with a rig on....NO. Now why would you go riding without gear because you want to feel the ride...Open some damn vents in your jacket, crack your visor to get that smell in, unzip your jacket alittle do whatever but **** man wear some damn gear even on rides from my girls house to mine less than 30 seconds away....You know why because who the hell knows when youll hit sand just like my bro in law did in the same neighborhood and totaled a bike.....................................Ask him how it felt pouring alchole on his wounds and having him pass out from the pain, i would say it felt like the *******, but this is my rant on what i do and what im trying to impose on you. But you already have your mind made up on what you are going to do or no do. So good luck man There will be a thread up about you and Mr.Wheelie on the F4i section[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif], about how you two ran into each other with no gear on....[sm=rant.gif]

Old 04-06-2007, 02:10 PM

Again, I've been down before, and know I will again.

The skydiving analogy was nice, save for instead of "with a cape" should have been without a helmet.

And to my point, I'm sure you ride crazier then I do. I don't stunt without gear. Wouldn't dream of it. But at the same time, I know of someone who took a foot peg to the head, helmeted, and you know what... he died from his skull being pierced.

Look, there are places you know you can ride with no/little issue, and places/times you know you want the gear. When I am riding with no gear I am not riding hell bent. And again, as to "how crazy you ride", maybe you should reflect on how much of that is due to the "safety" you feel you have because of you're gear. I know/met WAY more people who think they are the **** because they have the gear and ride like "squids" because they think they are indestructable.

The key is to recognize and know the differance.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM

riding season??? its riding season here alll year long....

Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM

I have noticed more people passing me in strange & dangerous places in the last few weeks. I had really thought about it, but it really is squid season.

I appreciate that some states allow riders to make the choice about wearing helmets. Personally, I gear up every time no matter what. In fact when I think of all thebicycle rides I have been on wearing shorts and a shirt, I start to wonder how smart that was, given that on occassion I would be above 40 mph.

Either way, we all make our own choices. Mine is to weat a helmet and gear every time. If anyone asks for my advice, thats what I say they should do. If you are comfortable riding in gear I would consider risky, OK.

Quick Reply: main dislike of begining of riding season