Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

louder exaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default louder exaust

so what do you think?

is a louder exaust safer for motorcycles?
or does it make the motorcycle community look bad?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Default RE: louder exaust

It's called thye Doppler effect i believe... sound travels in the direction it is projected. So, because your exhaust projects backwards, the only time your exaust actually makes a difference, is when you are infront of someone in thier feild of view. granted there are exceptions, like if there is a car between you and the vehicle that can't see you, but they can hear you. but for the most part, a louder exhaust only makes your presence known if you are already in the persons visual range. And personally i think the straigh pipes of a harley produce a more negative perception of bikes than a sport bikes exhaust

Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Safer? No. Better sound? Yes imo.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 PM

I have my f4i pretty much straight piped. I have the orginal honda muffler with 18 inches cut out of it. Just a little packing around the inside of the muffler. I was coming home yesterday and my wife counted 37 seconds before I pulled on the driveway. I love the sound did it add any safety maybe I did it for the looks and sound.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM

I almost changed lanes on top of a harley one day untill he twisted the throttle a bit and i heard him. He was in my blind spot (even when i turn around in the jeep i have enough of a blind spot left for a motorcycle to disapear in) and i heard him way before i saw him.

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Yeah, loud pipes could help in certain situation...
Wearing bright colors can't hurt either...

Old 04-27-2008, 08:06 PM

I voted yes and no...

Safer - not really, better sound - yes

Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: itgbudeev

It's called thye Doppler effect i believe... sound travels in the direction it is projected. So, because your exhaust projects backwards, the only time your exaust actually makes a difference, is when you are infront of someone in thier feild of view. granted there are exceptions, like if there is a car between you and the vehicle that can't see you, but they can hear you. but for the most part, a louder exhaust only makes your presence known if you are already in the persons visual range. And personally i think the straigh pipes of a harley produce a more negative perception of bikes than a sport bikes exhaust
+1. I recognized a friend of mine in his car on the interstate, so I passed him...FAST. He had no clue I was even coming up on him until I passed him and then he said he noticed how loud the exhaust was. He also said it scared the crap out of him :-)

Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i voted yes....there's going to be so many differing views in here, on this topic.

i have noticed a great difference in how many close calls i have, since putting on my two bros slip-on. i used to frequently have people try to change lanes, into my lane. now w/ a louder pipe as im coming up on the car i give it a little throttle, just enough to make'er bark a bit , and i've had a huge difference in the number of people that dont hear/see me and try to get in my lane.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I like the loud obnoxious d&d pipes, help me identify where the squids are

I dont mind louder then stock, a good tuned pipe, but a d&d or gutted can is just stupid loud. Seems like on trips i always get stuck next to those guys and have to hear the pipe droan on for hours.

Quick Reply: louder exaust