Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Looking for new Speakers for my PC??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Looking for new Speakers for my PC??

ORIGINAL: eweppley

ORIGINAL: Juliet

Now you see I never knew that they are sub par ..thank you, unfortunately I couldnt listen to them as they were just on a shelf with a load of other speakers .. maybe if I asked nicely, depends on how helpful the assistants want to be I suppose. I just like the way they looked and they seemed really heavy and sturdy ..also I didnt really want the sub woofer thing its just more clutter so was looking for a better qualtity speaker itself, that would handle some bass ..but I dont need loud or booming I tend to play my sounds gently ..I like quality and tone the best :-)

Jules
Just because something is "heavier" or "sturdier looking" doesn't mean it is alwaysbetter. I was just reading an article in the paper yesterday about how they can make TV remote controllers far lighter than they do, but they add aluminum to the inside of them (wasting material better used elsewhere) because people didn't like thelight feel ofthem. They didn't seem "sturdy" enough. Never judge a book by its cover.

What??..no ****!!?? ..as I hear you guys say a lot ..lol

I think I get that concept Ethan ... I am not a complete ditz

Right then I also need to find Bose speakers in the UK somewhere I guess ...

Jules

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because something is "heavier" or "sturdier looking" doesn't mean it is alwaysbetter. I was just reading an article in the paper yesterday about how they can make TV remote controllers far lighter than they do, but they add aluminum to the inside of them (wasting material better used elsewhere) because people didn't like thelight feel ofthem. They didn't seem "sturdy" enough. Never judge a book by its cover.

Jules
Sorry Jules. Trust me, I wasn't trying to make an example of you. I was just throwing that out there for everyone in general.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 AM

Jules
Sorry Jules. Trust me, I wasn't trying to make an example of you. I was just throwing that out there for everyone in general.

I am just joking with you bubba, ..its me ..Jules ..lol

Seriously though thank you for the info ..I am looking at Bose on the web as we speak

Jules

Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say, Bose's advantages used to be their small size (complimented with a small sub), and they still are the smallest, but I do know that my home stereo setup blows away my neigbor´s Bose system for about the same cost.

Oh, and Jules those speakers are frick'n HUGE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1V9ZWF4dR0&NR=1

Of course all things are relative, just make sure you have enough vertical space if you are placing them on a shelf. You don't want to block the bass port on the top.

Ewe is dead on with the weight. Sometimes, though the extra weight does help to stabilize a unit. They do the same thing with a computer mouse. Some even come with interchangeable weights.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 AM

I know they are big Nick, its why I thought I might get away without the sub woofer and just use these instead ..I would just have them either side of my monitor and listen to them at the PC they would not be a substitute for a home entertainment system or anything I just really want some nice quality but simple speakers .. I guess hearing them and some others for comparison is the only way though ..Bose are more than I want to spend too .. whatever I get will be better than what I have now..when new they sounded cack and now one of the tweeters is raspy which makes me want to smash them into tiny ickle bits ..lol

Jules

Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 AM

The only speakers that i know of that sound decent without a sub would be bose...but you will be spending a hell of a lot more than if you just got a system with a sub to have the same frequency range. You wouldnt like my system then, i rattle picture frames off the wall

Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: redzintimidator

The only speakers that i know of that sound decent without a sub would be bose...but you will be spending a hell of a lot more than if you just got a system with a sub to have the same frequency range. You wouldnt like my system then, i rattle picture frames off the wall

[] this is all harder than I thought ... and no I like my ears to be non bleeding ..lol

You will damage your ears eventually young man and you will be sorry

Jules

Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy, them, try them out, don't like them, return them.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM

Klipsch 2.1 - You gotta deal with a sub but the results are well worth it.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: cbrsixpack

Logitech for me Jules.
Im using them in 5.1 surround,X-530 system[5 sattelites plus Sub woofer =140 watts.
Retail here in Aussie for about $100.........
Try this link Jules;
http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/l...ers-p-973.html
i have that exact set up. love it, i used it for watching movies in my family room for a while but they did barely did it volume wise but still sounded good, (big room small speakers) but for computer use goes, they are awesome, and plenty loud for playing music in my bedroom.

the draw back to a system like that is if you don't have a sound card with 5.1 its kinda use less. they do come with a nifty little RCA adapter which lets you plug L/R RCA into one side and the 3 head phone jacks into the other (three head phone jacks is whats needed for 5.1) so i guess you could use a head phone to RCA cable then the adapter to use it.

I have seen that set up for as cheap as $60 in the states.

Quick Reply: Looking for new Speakers for my PC??