Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Looking for input on next bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on next bike

I have been riding for about 4 months, putting on about 1800 miles. I currently have a 92 CBR F2. Is it worth itto step up to a 1000cc or go slower and do at least a fuel injected 600cc? I feel comfortable, but is it that much of a shock to go to a 1000 from a badly tuned carburetor 600?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... Speaking for myself, I can't see a reason to go up to a 1k. Not unless it was irresistibly sexy and there wasn't anything equally so in the 600s. Like the 2010 BMW S1000RR. My badly tuned carb 600 is plenty powerful and fast.... But...

I'm 5' 10" 150lbs after a rainshower in full gear. From what I've seen, many go to a liter bike simply because it fits their body better. Others because they get more heavily into riding, not travelling or commuting. So the question is "What's the motive?"

Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanPMN
I have been riding for about 4 months, putting on about 1800 miles. I currently have a 92 CBR F2. Is it worth itto step up to a 1000cc or go slower and do at least a fuel injected 600cc? I feel comfortable, but is it that much of a shock to go to a 1000 from a badly tuned carburetor 600?
like night a day. Hell its night n day between the F2 and a 600RR. You just started riding, 1800 miles aint shyt in the big scheme of things. At least rack up around 10k on your current bike and concentrate on mastering the basics and what to do in panic situations. Then move up to a newer 600 and repeat. I wouldnt think about getting a 1k until you at least have 50-100k under you belt.

Dont fall into the gambit of bigger is better because its bullshyt. A skilled rider on a small bike will out ride a shyty rider on a big bike anyday.

Work on skill n not speed, be able to control your bike at a snails pace as well as you can doin a buck-fifty.

hope I helped ya. Now be ready for McSquid to pop in and say how he start on a 1k n can smoke rossi but has chicken strip the size of Maine and dont own one piece of leather...

Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by SeanPMN
Is it worth itto step up to a 1000cc or go slower and do at least a fuel injected 600cc?
IMO 600 are far from slow. Yeah you might get beat by a 1K in a drag race but unless you plan to do a lot of drag racing I would stick with a 600 personally. Plus you'll probably won't get into as much trouble with your right wrist. If you are tired of the carbs then get a F4i or RR, ride that for a year or 2 then decide if you want a 1K.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Well im 6'0" near 300lbs. A bigger bike under me would fit better. I don't do tracks really, just rides with friends. I want to do at least fuel injected cause mine is a headache and seems to stutter a lot on pulling my big butt. I know a tweak and im set, but I want also a little newer. Truthfully, if I could afford it and handle a 1300 or 1400 I would get it, but I know thats suicide for me.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... well again it might be my body. Or it could be that my bike isn't as badly tuned as yours. I've only opened the throttle to a little past halfway on my F3. And damn near shyte myself when the headshake from the front wheel skipping across the road started.

PG does bring up a valid concern: lack of experience. Going from a 250 is a 600 was a world of difference, something that I was reminded of after taking the BRC (god, had to retrain my throttle control after just 2 days on that Nighthawk). I'd been off a bike so long and was so inexperienced with my own 600 that I had readjust and relearn for my bike. And I hate to say it, you'll prolly forget 3 of those 4 months of experience during the off-season. Put bluntly, doesn't sound like you (and myself as well) have riding down to the point where it comes naturally and instinctually. Most of your current experience won't be valid and it'll hella more dangerous with the bigger bike.

I doubt you'll get much winter riding done in the Chicago area (not unless you like frostbike and lowsides). My recommendation is take the winter to get your bike tuned right, tweak her for your body style and ride her for another season. If you don't beat her too badly, look at the bigger bikes around this time next year

Last edited by Kuroshio; 10-15-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Maybe you DO need the torque and room. And I suspect your carb problem is just a carb problem. Maybe the last guy was screwing with the carbs when he didn't know what he was doing, or put a fancy air filter and or pipe/can/muffler on it without jetting. It may be cheaper to take it to a good mechanic, and you might be happy, if the bike fits you at all. Otherwise:

Consider big and not so scary, like a 93 to 96 CBR1000F. You can get a really nice low mileage one if you look around for what I consider really cheap. Or a 99 to 2003 "Super Blackbird" if you want something newer and fuel injected. If it is low mileage, like under 25K miles, it should run like new, and you will be able to tell that almost from the first rev at a demo.

Ok, and I will now offer a disclaimer: all of this assumes that you are capable of being a good, safe rider that can comfortably control a bike, and won't get antsy and try to see how much power you can give it in a corner in traffic. If you aren't one of those, and every ride is the thrill ride of the wrong sort (Gee, I wonder if I can live through this ride?) then you should probaby try a different hobby.

Last edited by JHouse; 10-16-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 AM

I got a f4i thinking I would upgrade to a 1k in a year or so. I have by no means mastered the bike but have 13,000+mi on it and don't see any reason to up grade. My girlfriend got an F3 and I spent a lot of time on it, and have to agree with others that it is a large power increase to go from a F3 to a F4i. She has upgraded to a 02 F4i and loves it. We commute to work and try to do all day rides as much as possible. I don't plan on getting a 1k till I have to do 160mph+ (never).

Old 10-16-2009, 06:17 AM

I wouldn't get a 1K, a 600 is plenty of bike for you.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on next bike