Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Long Write-Up for Deal's Gap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Write-Up for Deal's Gap

I decided to take some time out of my normally dull day to make a write-up of the area known as Deal’s Gap. I have always seen multiple questions (or threads) posted on this topic. I hope that the administrators of the following forums will sticky this topic. Not only do I hope this will introduce the area to a lot of riders that have only heard it mentioned here and there, but I hope it will effect those who have been going to the area since it was just US129.

I rode, NEVER trailer, all my bikes on any trip I make. I personally will never trailer a bike regardless because I love to ride and I will go to any lengths to only ride. The Honda CBR’s that I have owned have all had the pleasure of experiencing the Gap in their lifetime with me nestled over the gas tank. Anyway, I wanted to show my visits to the area with more then just a few pictures.

I have stayed at a few different locations and talked to a large amount of people who have done the same. Some love the rustic camping that is offered, some like the cheap hotel, and some like the cabins and retreats. I like the best of all worlds so I found a couple local spots that most ignore. These spots that I personally love are only because I do not take along a family with me. Fortunately I do not have to please other people so I think only of myself on these journeys. For those that must succumb to the family life, then staying on the popular side where all the shops are is ideal for you. A bit out of the way for the rider, but a compromise for the family trip. If a family trip entails me going to ride all day, I think a few miles can mean a lot more then a few arguments.

Place to stay for the singles or the easily convinced wives—The 2 Wheel Inn is a great place to stay if you can convince the wife that she’ll be relaxing all day or driving to the opposite side to get to shops and such. For those that can convince their lady or those that don’t need to, will love it here. The owners of the place are older, but definitely wiser. They run a great Inn there, and they will make you feel like home. On the weekends, they have fires and everyone that stays there gets together and just sits by the fire. Amongst all this, you room will be clean to all degrees and you have your own bike garage to work and clean you bike. Heck, they even give you rags! So when the wife gets bored you can just send her to Gatlinburg; they have a BUNCH of shops on Main Street so she can spend your money. When she goes there she can pick up beer and stuff as well since you can not get it on this side of the Gap. The restaurants on this side (2 Wheel Inn) will close real early so if you want dinner, eat early or go to the opposite side. I have stayed on both ends and DO NOT prefer the Gatlinburg side because it is too touristy. Unless you want to fight the ongoing car traffic, I would recommend staying on the south side of the Gap. Also, this is where the Cherohala Skyway is located. You can find DollyWood on the north side of the Gap, and it is a decent ride just to get to the Gap. That ride is nice because you catch the foothill parkway (sweepers easily taken at 70mph), but out of the way for that little stretch.

Place to stay for easy going, outdoors people—If NOT BOOKED, grab the places at the GAP www.dealsgap.com Prices are nice, and the hospitality is unreal. At this place you are 100% sure of having NOTHING BUT BIKERS around you (all kinda from cruisers to crotches, most crotches). Great time and great people...book ASAP! I can’t really say much on the rooms because this place is booked too far in advance for me. I can never seem to book things in time so I just wing it. Either way, this is the meeting spot for any rider in the area or visiting the area. The reason is that they are the only store there at the Gap. They have gas, a restaurant, cold beverages, souvenirs, and a tree to dangle your broken bike parts. You’ll soon find out that you have no ch

Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Long Write-Up for Deal's Gap

So the difference is obvious. I would say that if I could go back to the first time I went to the Gap I would have definitely taken a full day to ride the Skyway. In my opinion riding that would have built my confidence more because of the gradual turns and the traffic is QUITE less then the Gap. Then after that I would ride the Gap multiple times over and over again until I at least knew 18 of the 318 turns. The Gap is a small section, but can take twenty minutes for a beginner each way. “If a GoldWing can do it in 11 minutes, then I sure as hell can” is what I recall a buddy of mine saying (exact words vary). Well as I caught up, his bike was lying in the leaves…

When deciding on what sights to see and where to eat, keep in mind that everything on the south side closes well before you return from your ride. Everything on the north side, however, remains open for a while longer. There are always places to visit, pictures to take, gifts to buy, and things to do. I just wanted to point out those specifically related to the sole reason for your trip.

Places to eat—I will not comment on this much because I personally have not agreed with any of the locals on the food choices. I ate at the pizza place, and well it is a pizza place so there is not much more to say other then it is cheap. The BBQ place in the area of 2 Wheel Inn was not what I expected so I was a bit disappointed. The restaurants on the Gatlinburg side are ones that all of us are familiar with. However, I can say that the restaurant at the Deal’s Gap resort was quite up to par…this could be because it is full of bikers so the atmosphere is that which you’de expect

Places to visit—Wheeler’s Bike shop was great. Bike dyno’s for $20 and the service is SUPERB. There are only like 2 places to take your bike, but really there is only 1…Wheeler’s. Wheeler, himself, is a hell of a man. He has built a very reputable service in the area, and beyond! If you drop your bike and break your from brake lever off leaving you to ride through the Gap without front brakes then you will want to stop in at Wheeler’s. Chances are that he has the part in stock. This was exactly the case when I pulled over to help what I thought was a broken car on the side of the road and ended up dropping the bike on it’s side. My front brake lever snapped completely off so that I had nothing to initiate the brakes with. I rode slowly and gracefully to Wheeler’s who I had seen previously that day about jetting my bike and showed him the damage. He hollered at one of his workers; within 5 minutes I was headed back to the Gap to visit The Tree of Shame. He would love you to leave your busted parts with him because he can fix it and resell it to some poor sole that also has a 1994 CBR F2, but the brake lever that broke was de-commissioned.

Places to visit—Deal’s Gap resort is a great place if you don’t stay there, eat there, get souvenirs there, or gas up there. Most likely you will HAVE to do one or the other or all. It is the ONLY gas station that is directly located at the Gap. Also, those who bust up their plastics in the leaves tend to leave a little souvenir behind at The Tree of Shame. If you mistake the leaves of this tree for motorcycle parts, look again! The Staff at Deal’s Gap have turned little unknown road into the MECCA of motorcycling roads. Since moving out west, I ask everyone if they have heard of the road and most say yes. For those few that do not know, I make sure to make a second visit bearing my Tail of the Dragon shirt.

Without the support of fellow riders I would’ve never heard of this road to begin with. My first time there was on Easter Sunday when I expected to be taming The Dragon without the crowds. That was a silly assumption; it was as packed as ever with families and adventurous riders like myself. This is where my passion for motorcycle riding blossomed. I have always rode for multiple hou

Old 12-09-2006, 04:32 AM
Mad

Nice write up... Thanks. I am definitely thinking about making the trip when I can get the money together.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:14 PM

that would be a decent drive/ride from the Diego but worth it at least once

Old 12-09-2006, 03:19 PM

any way to delete a post?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:06 AM

bump

Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: x2madf4i

Nice write up... Thanks. I am definitely thinking about making the trip when I can get the money together.
+! Very informative!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Nice post Twisted.