Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

little rant about people who come into my work...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: little rant about people who come into my work...

I know you think these people are idiots. Just keep in mind, that these people are the reason you have a job. That reason alone, make sure you treat them with respect. You were at some point in your life, you were one of them. Just be grateful that they are trying. Hell, I was treated similarly at the Honda dealership when the service guy was telling us about the fork seals. Sure I had a manual at home, but I've never done it before and didn't know all the parts I would need. He saved me a trip back but yet, I was still able to accomplish the job.

On the same token, our company is a tech company and we have worked hard to not call our "users" stupid. They were obviously smart enough to get their job that they are in. They are making an attempt to learn. You should never knock someone who tries. Sure they will make mistakes, but that is all a part of the learning process.

Actually, that my philosophy...you do whatever you want.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 AM

I've had a lot of jobs that dealt with the Great unwashed (the general public), There is no ruder, ignorant or more aggressive animal around. The crap that issues forth from these civilised people is truly an amazement. So I'm not at all surprised by wots been said here at all.
In one government office, at the front reception counter, we had a pregnant women waiting in line to be seen, she become unwell & fainted, so wot did the people behind her do? Stepped over her of course, Our staff ran around to her & had to direct these people around her while we organised 1st aid (& eventually an ambulance)
When I worked in the hospitality industry (so called these days) as a waiter, I loved those guys & girls that would come in & complain about the wine or the food (not cooked enough, which is wot they asked for) or wine not right, we used to walk back out into kitchen or bar, wait a few minutes, give them back the same stuff, which they then thought was fine.
These days I guess the meals get spat on (don't order the soup), back then it was just enough to know that in reality they where just dicks.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my counterpoint to the p/t parts clerks...I've been spinning wrenchs for quite some time now, and know my ****. It's a hobby for me, so it keeps it fun, but I know whats happening under the hood of every vehicle I've ever owned, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, or more. So why can't the parts clerks at chain stores know just a LITTLE bit about mechanical repair, besides stick-on body kits and fart can mufflers? Case in point...I go in to order a starter relay for a 1951 Plymouth...I've done a 6v-12v conversion and used chevy alternators/coils/etc for ease of roadside repair. I tell counter monkey that I need a ford starter relay with 3 or 4 poles.
CM: "What year is the car"
Me:"1951 Plymouth with a conversion to all new electrical, which is why I need this relay"
CM:"Sorry sir, our list doesn't go back that far, sure it's not a 1965 VW Beetle?".
Me:"Tell you what, just give me a relay for a 1985 Ford f-150 w/ the 351 v-8" (I know this will work).
CM: "That won't work in something that's not a ford"
Me: "Trust me, yes it will, I've done it before. Please just get me the part. And, while I'm here, can you look up to see if you have m/c rebuild kits available for the 1951 Plymouth." Yes, I know it's not in the computers, but that's why there are big-*** books on the counter as well...for people like me. I figure on at least getting price and availability since I'm standing here, just for the sake of knowing what it's going to cost when the time comes
CM: "Our computers don't go back that far, are you sure it's not for a 1965 VW Beetle?"
Me: exasperated by this time, since I've only typed up the Cliff Notes version of what was really a 20 minute ordeal"Yeah, you're right, it is a 1965 Beetle...I need a water pump for it as well. Could you find one for me please?"
Maybe that was a dick move, but should they even attempt to make an effort I'd be willing to cut them some slack. Kid never did find my water pump....

Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Yeah, I've done the auto parts store job, worked at an Advanced Auto Parts store in Appleton for a year during college. Really enjoyed the job and did whatever I could to help people. If I didn't know something, I would not hide it, I'd just use all the resources at hand and do whatever it took to get what they needed.

Radiator hoses were a fun one, ever so often guys would come in lookin for a hose to fit some half breed engine swap and instead of being that dumb clerk that looks at you dumb, I'd take them in back and look thru our inventory with them first hand to see if we could help. More fun to me than a hassle.

That was my biggest beef, a lot of my coworkers seemed to roll their eyes anytime they had to do anything other than a simple computer catalog lookup, that kind of attitude just looses you customers and adds unneeded stress. I always though, if you don't want to do your job, why the hell did you take it?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 AM

holy crap i feel like someone changed my user name and wrote this. i too work at an auto parts store in FL and have to deal with the same garbage. The people that **** me off the most are the guys that are too chicken **** to come in and admit that they don't know what they are doing and send their wives or girlfriends into the store with some half assed list and make their girls look bad. then when their girl calls them back to get clarification on engine size or year or trying to figure out what the hell a dohickey is they don't answer the phone. so we try to get them what we think is the correct part and send them back to home. then the guy comes back next time with the part that they need in hand and it turns out to be a spark plug or something stupid like that. an other thing that pisses me off is when someone comes in and expects us to work on their car. like install a light bulb or something else we are not supposed to do. now if they want to pay me $70 an hour like they would a mechanic i'd be happy to do it. but the whole point of a do it your self auto parts store is to DO IT YOUR SELF!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

It ain't no better in the IT industry...we also have the self-proclaimed techies.
Lord, talk about frustration. My favorite line to use....Know your role.

They go away mad but they go away. I'm not the ****** help desk.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: cbrNOLE

an other thing that pisses me off is when someone comes in and expects us to work on their car. like install a light bulb or something else we are not supposed to do. now if they want to pay me $70 an hour like they would a mechanic i'd be happy to do it. but the whole point of a do it your self auto parts store is to DO IT YOUR SELF!
I'd blame that on Auto Zone, they do small **** like that for free. They are trying to cater to these non-DIYers.

ORIGINAL: TheX

It ain't no better in the IT industry...we also have the self-proclaimed techies.
Lord, talk about frustration. My favorite line to use....Know your role.

They go away mad but they go away. I'm not the ****** help desk.
Ya, until your role is administrator/help desk/teacher, I constantly have to teach people how to use their computers. I had a user yell at me because I installed a DWG viewer on his system and he was like, 'how do I use this?' I said, 'IDK, never used it, but I think you need to do this.' He went 'What?!?! How do you install software you have never used!?!?!' My response, 'Ummmm, I'm not a draftsmen, I dont use autocad or DWG files, ever. Thats what your job is, why dont you know how to use it?'

Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 PM

rrasco i know what you mean I doboth IT and the draftmans side of the job.I got drafters who think they know all about the computer and totally hose the computer and ask what went wrong.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 51plymouth

Here's my counterpoint to the p/t parts clerks...I've been spinning wrenchs for quite some time now, and know my ****. It's a hobby for me, so it keeps it fun, but I know whats happening under the hood of every vehicle I've ever owned, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, or more. So why can't the parts clerks at chain stores know just a LITTLE bit about mechanical repair, besides stick-on body kits and fart can mufflers? Case in point...I go in to order a starter relay for a 1951 Plymouth...I've done a 6v-12v conversion and used chevy alternators/coils/etc for ease of roadside repair. I tell counter monkey that I need a ford starter relay with 3 or 4 poles.
CM: "What year is the car"
Me:"1951 Plymouth with a conversion to all new electrical, which is why I need this relay"
CM:"Sorry sir, our list doesn't go back that far, sure it's not a 1965 VW Beetle?".
Me:"Tell you what, just give me a relay for a 1985 Ford f-150 w/ the 351 v-8" (I know this will work).
CM: "That won't work in something that's not a ford"
Me: "Trust me, yes it will, I've done it before. Please just get me the part. And, while I'm here, can you look up to see if you have m/c rebuild kits available for the 1951 Plymouth." Yes, I know it's not in the computers, but that's why there are big-*** books on the counter as well...for people like me. I figure on at least getting price and availability since I'm standing here, just for the sake of knowing what it's going to cost when the time comes
CM: "Our computers don't go back that far, are you sure it's not for a 1965 VW Beetle?"
Me: exasperated by this time, since I've only typed up the Cliff Notes version of what was really a 20 minute ordeal"Yeah, you're right, it is a 1965 Beetle...I need a water pump for it as well. Could you find one for me please?"
Maybe that was a dick move, but should they even attempt to make an effort I'd be willing to cut them some slack. Kid never did find my water pump....

hahah water pump...

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM

It ain't no better in the IT industry...we also have the self-proclaimed techies. A former commander in the unit I am contracted to work for was a know-it-all, and he did know his stuff...except he was about 6 years behind. The crap he would say was all accurate for the year 2002, and he was consistent across the tech board on this.
+1, I have worked at call centers for tech support....those videos on youtube that you think people cant be that stupid, yes, yes they are

as far as auto parts store...they hire people that know something about cars?

Quick Reply: little rant about people who come into my work...