Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Listen to radio/mp3 player while riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Listen to radio/mp3 player while riding

I'd have to agree with ImmaSquashYou,

As nice as it would be to listen to some tunes while riding, I would think it could be kinda distracting. I personally want to be able to hear what's going on around me. Just MHO.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 PM

I think its pretty safe.

Personally I dont BLAST the music so I cant even hear the bike. I can still hear everything around me when I listen to music.
Only time I turn it up loud is when Im on the highway.

Daniel Thompson

Old 03-23-2006, 07:52 AM

i ride with my ipod on but i wear it on my hip right under my jacket so all i have to do is reach down and pause it if i need to but most of the time its up kinda loud cause i cant hear any thing but wind and exhaust when im going any way, i feel safe and not distracted but thats just me....

Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 AM

If you think that riding with music is not safe than riding a Honda Goldwing is one of the most unsafe bikes around. Personally, I believe that it is ok as long as you can hear the road conditions around you. From what is sound like having headphones attached to your helmet and not on your head is the way to go, just don't crank the volume.
What it comes down to really is "Do you feel comfotable riding with music playing?" If not than don't. There is a time and place for everything, usually I like to listen to music when going on a fairly distant/monatinous freeway ride, if I decide to go for a brisk ride through some twisties then NO, I just feel uncomfortable hence therefore unsafe for me.
Myself, I have the headphone in the right ear and the iPod in my front pocket. I was thinking of a way to put the iPod in the helmet so I don't have any wires coming into my jacket.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM

Agreed. Ride with music if you feel comfortable with it. Also, I'd say about 100% of auto drivers out there are either on the cell phone, listening and jaming to the radio, putting makeup on/doing hair, etc.. Riding with a little backround music is just fine as long as you are experienced enough to concentrate on the road and not get distracted with it.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:10 AM

I agree it's a comfot zone thing... when I'm on a trip and come to a conjested unfamiliar area, I turn it way down or off. I do the same thing in the cage. Sometimes in the twisties with the right song I can really get into it though.

I never have it so loud that I can't hear traffic around me. I have speakers in my helmet, so background/surrounding noise can always get through. Having earphones or ear buds actually in your ear might keep you from hearing outside noises that you need to hear depending on how they are designed.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:00 PM

Some good input, I'll just have to try it and see what I think.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i understand that some may feel it is unsage to ride with the earphones. i ride with my ipod and both earphones in when i'm commuting to work because it's 90% interstate and i get bored easy. now granted when i go to the mountains or playing around town with other bikes i either don't take the ipod or don't wear it when we're all together so that i can be aware of everyone else.

that said, as others have stated, if you like music and it relaxes you then listen. i've seen guys that ride scared, over concentrating on everything, then you give them a radio and they relax a little and become far better riders. if you're like me and at 10 at night your humping 36 miles up the interstate you need something to keep from going into a trance, for me it's music.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:38 PM

i have an mp3 player, but have only ridin' with it a few times. doesn't seem to distract me too much.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 AM

Like the sound of my bike to much to listen to music while riding.

Quick Reply: Listen to radio/mp3 player while riding