Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Legal Handgun Ammunition?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Handgun Ammunition?

I recently gained interest in Firearms. I apllied for my consealed weapons permit and should be receiving within the next week. I am look to pick up a Smith & Wesson 4046. I do not know too much about guns yet but I am retaining information quickly. My cousin is a gunsmith so he will show me alot, but my question is what type of ammo is legal to carry on you. I know hollow points are illegal but a friend of mine told me a certain hollow point is legal because of some special coating. If anyone knows anything or maybe a website with all the laws than please help me out.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Default RE: Legal Handgun Ammunition?

ORIGINAL: cbrsix

I apllied for my consealed weapons permit ...
... I do not know too much about guns ...
Should these be in the same conversation?

Wish I could help ya man, we cant carry here in Wisconsin so I have no idea. Definatelly take a course at a shooting range it one is offered thou. Kinda ackward to be carrying if your not too familiar with weapons

Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Haha i Know enough about them to not do anything bad. I have fired them many times before in my life.Im more interested in collecting and Just going to the fire range. I never plan on using it on a person for any reason. I am just intrigue about how they work and how they're made. I just want to know all about them.
I think I've been watching a little bit too much of future weapons but thats such a good show.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 AM

I took a course when I was younger with My grandpap but my cousin has had a ton of experience with them and I am pretty close with him. He will be able to teach me the safest way to do everything.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM

what state do you live in? why wouldn't hollow points be legal to carry

Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Pennsylvania.
I am not sure what makes them illegal. I have been looking for information on them online and it seems every sight I go to says something different. Thats why i was wandering if anyone knew first hand for a fact. Also would the state law supercede federal law. Because federal law does not say anything about them being illegal

Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 AM

My buddy was saying they could be illegal because they cause more danger to a person. He said a normal round will mushroom up when it hits a hard surface and make a bigger exit hole but with a hollow point he says it mushrooms up alot more and causes a much bigger exit hole.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM

yeah that is what it does and that is the whole point behind them. there is also less chance of a through and through causing injury to anyone around. that is why i carry them in my 45 that i take with me everywhere

Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM

states can make laws about something like that and federal law doesn't matter. if they say no hollow points then you can't carry them. why don't you call your local police station and ask them what you are allowed to carry

Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We don't have ammunition laws here, so I vote for Black Talon or Hydroshock rounds.
Besides, if you have to defend yourself, surely if you're mad enough to shoot someone, you want to do a proper job of it ?
Hardcorp or Shocktroop are the men to ask IMHO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Legal Handgun Ammunition?