CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   LED license plate bolts legal? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/led-license-plate-bolts-legal-10518/)

flybub 03-14-2006 08:14 AM

LED license plate bolts legal?

Hey everyone. I've seen alot of people in Ohio with LED license plate bolts as the only illumination over their license plate. Are those legal? If so I may snag me a pair but I'm not sure. I figured I'd ask here before I called the Highway Patrol. Thanks.

MgA_ODEN 03-14-2006 10:24 AM

RE: LED license plate bolts legal?

Yes.

dragonmaster_91 03-14-2006 11:56 AM

You will want to check with your local law enforcement for the right answer. The city you live in may have specific ordinances that prohibit use of such lights. In wisconsin for the most part you Can't have any lights on your bike that are luminated while your actually riding (other then factory or the blinkers etc). If your parked thats a different story. I say talk to the local P.D. first. Dont giv'um a reason to mess with you.

BlindLOKI 03-14-2006 12:46 PM

I do believe your supposed to have lumination on the plate too dragonmaster_91... I know here you are supposed to have a light over your plate so it can be read at night... I just dont have one yet hahah....

dragonmaster_91 03-14-2006 12:56 PM

Yes that is true and is also what i ment in my last post about being factory lights that can be replaced by after market components. I just dont think that the light bolts give off enough light to qualify as legal in most areas. I know here in shawano you will get a ticket for anything they can find. Thanks.

BlindLOKI 03-14-2006 05:23 PM

very true... I know a lot of places they are just out looking for little things like that...

I might have to try some... I need to try something... right now im living in a small town and no one really gives a crap, but soon ill be moving to a town outside of Boise ID. figure they might crack down a bit more...

take it easy

ChrisMcD 03-14-2006 06:04 PM

As for maine...."colored" lights illuminating your plate are illegal. Aftermarket white lights are fine but the colors are where the line is crossed here....Same thing with accent lights, I can turn mine on when I am parked but not in motion down the road....[8D]

1998f3 03-14-2006 08:17 PM

I dont have license plate lights. When a car comes up behind me, the plate reflects enough light so it looks like it is lit up.

flybub 03-14-2006 10:04 PM

I called my local PD today and license bolt lights (led's or otherwise) are not allowed. The light must be installed above the plate and the light can only be white. Thanks for everyones input, I guess I'll have to come up with a creative way of mounting my LED's above my plate so they shine down on it. Thanks again

dragonmaster_91 03-15-2006 12:22 AM

Good luck. I hope you can find a creative way to use those lights. Let us know what you find.