Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

lane splitting

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lane splitting

I wish for everything that is worth wishing upon that it was legal in all 50 states... It would be a huge benefit for the fuel crisis as we would quit wasting gas idling, and it would encourage more motorcycles to be on the road to do the same.

The only time I ever did it I was REALLY bad and did it for about 15 miles along this interstate that had 3 out of 4 lanes blocked for a semi that had flipped over. A buddy and I literally road the shoulder the entire time without a single person moving over to block us or a cop flipping their lights on. It was a 3 hour delay we were through in about 20 minutes.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

ORIGINAL: Ty

I honestly have no idea if it's legal here in Ohio but I do know that cars aren't allowed to travel on the berm of the highway, so when I see a car or a bike trying to pass on either shoulder I move the F over to at least make them go on the grass. trucks here love to pull over far enough to completely block everything. To me it's not worth the potential risk. It's enough trouble avaoiding them while I have my own lane. Don't need to risk my life doing something illegal.
What's the point of trying to block a bike riding up the side? Best case, you lose a mirror. Worst case, you kill a fellow rider just to prevent him from riding the shoulder to the next exit.

There's an ongoing construction site around here where there is a freeway split in the middle of a construction zone. We always ride up the shoulder then through theconstruction cones and into the split to the next exit. We cause absolutely no delay for any cars as we do not re-enter the traffic that is backed up. Every once in a while some jackass will decide that it is his responsibility to keep all the bikes going at the same pace as the cars. I am shocked at how far over these people will go to try and stop a bike. I am not sure that they realize how close they are coming to murdering the rider. It's all fun and games until you pull out to block someone and kill them. I don't even see the point. Does it really matter to you if a bike goes up the side? Or splits lanes? Are you going to magically be slowed down by the bike so much that you feel it necessary to attempt to kill the rider? What would you do if you actually hit him or caused him to go on the grass and crash? Would you stop? Or would you just leave him there because you are in a hurry and need to pay attention to your job of keeping people from passing you? I don't get it. Just mind your own business. The bikes aren't going to slow you down. You should know that if you ride one.
Well first off, riding on the shouler is illegal here last I checked. I don't care who is riding the shoulder, it does take extra time because at some point they try to cut back in and most often someone has to brake abruptly at best delaying the line from moving and at worst causing an accident. Second, I don't pull out when I see them almost next to me. It's like one of those things that deters people frommoving over into that lane to begin with. It may not affect cars as much, but if you cut in front of a truck after riding the shoulder, he will have to hit the brakes more often than not and it will take him some time to get going again. I don't care if it is 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. My time is just as valuable as anyone else's. We all get on our bikes every day knowing it could be the last time. If someone chooses to make some dumb illegal move, then it's on them as to what happens. (and like I said, I'm not cutting across at last minute making anyone swerve or die) Besides, A$$holes who ride and can't follow the laws are the ones who make the cops hate all riders and hassle us.
You are your'e ownworst enemy. Do you block pedestrians that J-walk? I love the fact that we can split lanes 10-15 min by bike usaully means 35 minin a car. Plus when Im done splitting lanes in moving traffic I merge into the traffic don't see how I could cause someone to slam on their brakes when Im faster then them.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 PM

I actually lean the other way on this arguement. I do not lane split. I know some studies say its safer to lane split then just sit then and risk getting rearend.

However, I know when I'm stopped or stopping... I'm always looking in my mirrors, flashing my brake light, and have the bike in first gear, should I need to get the **ck outta there in a hurry. I always leave plenty of room for an emergency exit. I just think its an unnecessary risk for being impatient.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im suprised to see how many people lane split in states where it is illegal. i have only done it once and i completely regret that one time. group ride 3hrs, to ocean city MD. riding w/ 5 other bikes on a 2 lane road and i was in the back w/ no idea where we were going (on our way home). we were stuck behind 2 SUV's who wouldnt budge, so everyone in front of me split the two vehicals and took off. so.........i figured, ****...me going through last and the two SUV's probably knowing i'd following my friends, were going to make a pancake of me. i had my g/f on the back (which is why i completely regret it, no excuse, shouldnt have done that move w/ her on the back....at all). i nudged her, kicked down a few gears and cracked into it. figured slip through as quick as i could to avoid a serious problem. that was the 1st and last time i did it.

i agree w/ VP on it though, would be great if legal in all states.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Interstate traffic jams only

Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

I honestly have no idea if it's legal here in Ohio but I do know that cars aren't allowed to travel on the berm of the highway, so when I see a car or a bike trying to pass on either shoulder I move the F over to at least make them go on the grass.
You have some serious issues!

I can see doing this to a vehicle, but how is a motorcycle getting through traffic affecting your life? How much space/time are you losing, for a motorcycle who is using a hell of a lot less fuel and energy than you are?

Do you pull over to stop bicyclist's from getting ahead of you?

When your walking down the sidewalk, do you get in front of the people who walk faster than you?

How about them damn skateboarders, I bet you stop them from getting ahead of you too!

I bet you make sure when your walking down the aisle's at the grocery store, you make everyone go to your left because that's where your supposed to be on the road!

I bet your the asshat who gets pissed when a public transportation vehicle (bus) merge's ahead of you. Even though that vehicle, carrying many different people is doing our community/environment a far more service than you are!

Let me guess, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I know you were the high school hall monitor!

Name:  asthisdataplainlyshowsyouareamoron.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  9.0 KB

Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM

I lane split sometimes at red lights, i take my time doing it and don't hall *** like the guy in the video. Its illegal, just like half of the things people do on the roads, whether in cars or on bikes. pretty much everyone speeds (except the occasional 80 year old), do you get in front of them and go slow and don't let them pass you?

if you lane split, please be careful and don't become another statistic for my family to use as a reason i shouldn't own a bike. if you don't, then good for you for playing it safe, but dont cut people off while driving your cage, that will only get someone hurt.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Ty

ORIGINAL: Ty

I honestly have no idea if it's legal here in Ohio but I do know that cars aren't allowed to travel on the berm of the highway, so when I see a car or a bike trying to pass on either shoulder I move the F over to at least make them go on the grass. trucks here love to pull over far enough to completely block everything. To me it's not worth the potential risk. It's enough trouble avaoiding them while I have my own lane. Don't need to risk my life doing something illegal.
What's the point of trying to block a bike riding up the side? Best case, you lose a mirror. Worst case, you kill a fellow rider just to prevent him from riding the shoulder to the next exit.

There's an ongoing construction site around here where there is a freeway split in the middle of a construction zone. We always ride up the shoulder then through theconstruction cones and into the split to the next exit. We cause absolutely no delay for any cars as we do not re-enter the traffic that is backed up. Every once in a while some jackass will decide that it is his responsibility to keep all the bikes going at the same pace as the cars. I am shocked at how far over these people will go to try and stop a bike. I am not sure that they realize how close they are coming to murdering the rider. It's all fun and games until you pull out to block someone and kill them. I don't even see the point. Does it really matter to you if a bike goes up the side? Or splits lanes? Are you going to magically be slowed down by the bike so much that you feel it necessary to attempt to kill the rider? What would you do if you actually hit him or caused him to go on the grass and crash? Would you stop? Or would you just leave him there because you are in a hurry and need to pay attention to your job of keeping people from passing you? I don't get it. Just mind your own business. The bikes aren't going to slow you down. You should know that if you ride one.
Well first off, riding on the shouler is illegal here last I checked. I don't care who is riding the shoulder, it does take extra time because at some point they try to cut back in and most often someone has to brake abruptly at best delaying the line from moving and at worst causing an accident. Second, I don't pull out when I see them almost next to me. It's like one of those things that deters people frommoving over into that lane to begin with. It may not affect cars as much, but if you cut in front of a truck after riding the shoulder, he will have to hit the brakes more often than not and it will take him some time to get going again. I don't care if it is 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. My time is just as valuable as anyone else's. We all get on our bikes every day knowing it could be the last time. If someone chooses to make some dumb illegal move, then it's on them as to what happens. (and like I said, I'm not cutting across at last minute making anyone swerve or die) Besides, A$$holes who ride and can't follow the laws are the ones who make the cops hate all riders and hassle us.
Really? You're THAT guy?Go **** yourself jackass.Why are you using a bike forum and telling other bikers that you intend on killing them? Honk next time you pass me, so that I canpull over and hit your dumb ***.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Ty

ORIGINAL: dwschultzy

I honestly have no idea if it's legal here in Ohio but I do know that cars aren't allowed to travel on the berm of the highway, so when I see a car or a bike trying to pass on either shoulder I move the F over to at least make them go on the grass.
You have some serious issues!

I can see doing this to a vehicle, but how is a motorcycle getting through traffic affecting your life? How much space/time are you losing, for a motorcycle who is using a hell of a lot less fuel and energy than you are?

Do you pull over to stop bicyclist's from getting ahead of you?

When your walking down the sidewalk, do you get in front of the people who walk faster than you?

How about them damn skateboarders, I bet you stop them from getting ahead of you too!

I bet you make sure when your walking down the aisle's at the grocery store, you make everyone go to your left because that's where your supposed to be on the road!

I bet your the asshat who gets pissed when a public transportation vehicle (bus) merge's ahead of you. Even though that vehicle, carrying many different people is doing our community/environment a far more service than you are!

Let me guess, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I know you were the high school hall monitor!

That's what the **** I'm sayin. This guy is a rider, why would he be one of them?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM

I lane split everywhere at my college. I'll lane split into on-coming traffic. Hell I'll even drive on the side walk. No sence in sitting in traffic for 15-20mins waiting for a crap load of people to cross the road inbetween classes when my designated motorcycle parking spot is 20 feet past the stopped traffic.

Quick Reply: lane splitting