Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Kill Switch Purpose

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill Switch Purpose

I've always wondered this. What is the purpose of the kill switch? Would it be necessary to shut the bike down while moving? Why is the ignition not enough? Is it more of a racing safety accessory? The only thing mine does is create a dumb look on my face when I try to start it after someone else messes with it.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kill Switch Purpose

I never use mine, and have been bit by people switching it off while parked. Not sure what purpose it serves for a street bike really.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 AM

my guess its a D.O.T. thing

Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 AM

I use mine all the time....apartment building is at the bottom of a hill....kill it at the top and coast in as to not disturb neighbors.....

Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 AM

I always use it when checking fuel, mileage, testing stuff on bike. sometimes you just need the gauges to light up or need to get power to say.... the cig lighter in the trunk(not the case for me since it has switch and constant flow) in which case you dont need the fuel pump priming and switching the kill switch to "off" makes it easy.

other than that, what pam said. Switching the bike off while in motion and keeping your lights and gauges on with the bike off.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 AM

I just mine all the time, its much easier to use when moving. In fact I dont think I ever shut my bikes off from the key first.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:18 AM

when my gf dropped the bike it was running and the wheel was spinning, her leg was kinda under it so I killed it using the switch. i always use the switch to turn on/off etc. habit i suppose. I'm thinking it's for the previous reason tho, spillage lol.

i used to work 3rd shift and I'd kill it coming down the street...just don't feel like waking up the whole damn street but I doubt that's the way it was intended

Old 11-14-2008, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Aweasel

when my gf dropped the bike it was running and the wheel was spinning, her leg was kinda under it so I killed it using the switch. i always use the switch to turn on/off etc. habit i suppose. I'm thinking it's for the previous reason tho, spillage lol.

i used to work 3rd shift and I'd kill it coming down the street...just don't feel like waking up the whole damn street but I doubt that's the way it was intended
i always wondered why it was there but this is a perfect reason haha... usually though if i want to be quiet comming home i just pull in the clutch and coast in that way.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM

I think it is just eye candy.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Some emergency situations, My friend had a dirtbike go down on a friend that was a new rider, wheel kept spinning cuz throttle was pinned, bike was going around in circles, they ended up running over to hit the kill switch

Quick Reply: Kill Switch Purpose