CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Jerky, Beef that is... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/jerky-beef-64302/)

DDCavi 04-02-2008 11:09 AM

Jerky, Beef that is...

Anyone have a good recipe to make some kick ass homemade beef jerky? Marinades? Dehydratating times? Ill be popping my jerky cherry this weekend, and would like it to come out edible considering the price of a roast.

troyg3 04-02-2008 12:00 PM

RE: Jerky, Beef that is...

Since we are all "family" here, I will share my marinade recipe with you. This is for 2-3 pounds of beef. I generally have my meat ground for jerky, so take that into consideration.

1/2 cup Worchester sauce
1/2 cup Soy sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 tablespoons Brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup (I use the heinz kickers variation)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
a couple dashes of Tobasco to your liking

I then reduce this on medium low heat until it is quite thick, but you would only need to heat to melt the brown sugar if using sliced meat. I marinate over night for best flavor. Dehydrating times vary greatly depending on the machine you are using, and the thickness of the meat.

fishfryer527 04-02-2008 03:58 PM

I make sure that there is a little fat as possible when I used sliced meat (flank steak sliced against the grain, never tried ground) and make sure the slices are uniform in thickness. Sometimes the fat tastes rancid or nasty. Also, you may want to rotate the trays to even out the drying of them.

Troys recipe looks great,the other thing I do is try to make sure the meat isn't dripping with the sauce when you start. Good luck.

dusterdude 04-03-2008 08:54 AM

how do you guys dry the meat?

fishfryer527 04-03-2008 09:12 AM

I use a food dehydrator, others use an oven on a low setting. You need racks, airflow, and slightly elevated heat. Best thing to do is google it, it isn't hard to do, but I think it is hard to do well and you may save some trial and error time by searching some real jerky sites.

troyg3 04-03-2008 09:30 AM

Yep, get yourself a good food dehydrator. I mainly use ground meat and a jerky cannon to form the strips. To me this makes for a more consistant result, as well as being easier to eat.

champ24 04-03-2008 09:43 AM

My mouth is watering like you wouldn't believe.

dusterdude 04-03-2008 10:28 AM

yea no kiddin,thanks for the info

DDCavi 04-03-2008 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I make sure that there is a little fat as possible when I used sliced meat (flank steak sliced against the grain, never tried ground) and make sure the slices are uniform in thickness. Sometimes the fat tastes rancid or nasty. Also, you may want to rotate the trays to even out the drying of them.

Troys recipe looks great,the other thing I do is try to make sure the meat isn't dripping with the sauce when you start. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, Im going to be using a roast. Also was curious about leaving the marinade dripping or not. Also thanks Troy for the family recipe, looks like the best one Ive seen. Im sold.