Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I've got a question for you guys/gals...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a question for you guys/gals...

I'm looking for information from you all, opinions are great, backed with experience is best.

So I'm going to get me an air filter, but I've got 3 choices... 1. Honda (Factory), 2. Aftermarket (Standard), 3. Aftermarket (Race).

I'm not looking for advice on what BRAND to buy (unless it's the Honda factory one)... mainly, I want to know what you all think about them all in comparison. I've heard the Honda one's are good, that the aftermarket (standard) lets more air-flow without neccisarily needing a PCIII or jet kit... and I've read on a few websites that the aftermarket (race) lets even MORE air in, but needs help compensating... AKA Jet Kit/PCIII.

CBRForum-ians... lend me your advice!

Oh yeah... and to keep it off topic... I'd also like to know your favorite kind of Jello. [&:]

Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I've got a question for you guys/gals...

I've always kept things standard because I believe anyone as big as Honda knows exactly what they're doing...I've always found when you deviate from them you lose somewhere...maybe just a small hole in the midrange or somewhere else but it's like non standard exhausts..sure some give extra power higher up but at the expense of lower or midrange...they have made as besta compromise as possible between performance/economy/emissions etc...

but what do I know ...lol

Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Banned

Well unfortunately Honda has been making manual CCT tensioners for over 50 years...

I love 'em, but when are they gonna move on?

Anyway, to my surprise I've actually learned that, on the 929's at least, K&N (your aftermarket) actually loses power (1-3HP)! BMC (your race filter), shows similar, to marginally-better imperovements than the stock.

This is all for the 929 ind you - but I wanted to chime in to let you know that there is more to the story than I thought. I've always thought K&N was one of the first things you do to any vehicle. As far as cars go, I think I'm right but it doesn't seem to carry over to bikes... at least in my application!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Juliet

I've always kept things standard because I believe anyone as big as Honda knows exactly what they're doing...I've always found when you deviate from them you lose somewhere...maybe just a small hole in the midrange or somewhere else but it's like non standard exhausts..sure some give extra power higher up but at the expense of lower or midrange...they have made as besta compromise as possible between performance/economy/emissions etc...

but what do I know ...lol
Well thats what a PCIII is for..sheesh

mmmm jello... 7 away from 1000 woooo[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

dont know but i am intersested..

Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM

k&n's worked well for mine imo.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Well... the "aftermarker (standard)" and "Aftermarket (race)" are actually BOTH BMC...

I will be getting a PCIII to compensate... and I just want to be sure I'm not going to lose HP (if possible, including a custom dyno tune), and I don't want dirt to get sucked down in the motor... So more advice would be helpful!

Here's what BMC filters say...

Question: For my motor bike, whatā€™s the difference between NORMAL and RACE?

Answer: For some motors, the BMC catalogue (viewable on the Web site) can offer customers 2 air filters for a single motor bike model: one called STANDARD and the other RACE.STANDARD filter: All BMC motor bike filters replace the original air filter (usually paper); that is they fit the series filter shape exactly and are installed in the air box with no need for any modification; but their characteristic and substantial difference is that the ā€œfiltering packageā€ is different to the stock one, better performing. This means it lets more air through; the simple, effective process is that by letting more air through combustion improves, so engine power does too.
RACE filter: The difference between standard and race lies in the ā€œfiltering packageā€, making the air passage to engine concept even more extreme: the RACE filter has an even greater air breathing capacity compared to the standard one and its installation is only, exclusively advised for motorbikes used on a race track as carburetion or injection could be weak (for carburetion the air quantity present in the mixture is greater than the quantity considered necessary, while for injection, despite the modern gearcase capacity to adapt itself within certain ranges, at times the excessive air increase is not handled correctly by the gearcase itself).
To avoid problems of this kind and recover the right stoichiometric air/petrol relations, you need to increase petrol capacity. To do this, you normally use a gearcase, remapped or replacing the original. Otherwise for carburetion motor bikes you can have additional carburetion kits.
RACE filters have the words ā€œRACEā€ on their recognition code (e.g. FM 482/08 RACE) and a yellow line inside the filtering package making them easily recognisable.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 AM

I have a full exhaust, k&n, PCIII, flapper mod and gained throughout the ENTIRE band. If you are going to mod your bike do it right and compensate for extra air. Otherwise, stay stock.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM

It looks like the Race is for races only due to it having 25% (according to elsewhere on the site) more air flow capacity than the standard BMC filters (that flow more than the paper, they say), and that the race would probably require compensation for the increased air flow... which I'll be doing with a PCIII. So... is it "safe" to keep the dirt particles out? Will a PCII and slipon with a custom dyno map make it work great? Just looking for all the opinions before I pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: I've got a question for you guys/gals...