Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is it irresponsible for mommies to ride sportbikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think that just because your a parent you cant ride. as long as you ride safely its not a problem for anyone. hell my neighbor is almost 80 and he still rides. although he used to ride a goldwing until he laid it down in his driveway, now he rocks a sweet trike.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a stepmom.....and still ride at 45. Dare anyone to tell me I shouldn't or that I am irresponsible for doing so

Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your attitude.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I'm going to take a risk here in hopes that people read my response and have an open mind and understand that I have no intention of this being a sexist rant.

(I think) it's fair to assume that, growing up, a girl is less likely to be into motorsports -- dirtbikes, motorcycles, atvs, etc. I say this, in my experience, coming from an area with plenty of forest to ride in and having grown up with two brothers who rode dirtbikes and atvs and a step-sister that didn't ride. I also had at least 10 friends who rode dirtbikes nearly every weekend and many, many more who rode atvs and not one was a girl. Again, my point is that it seems from my perspective that women are relatively unlikely to have riding skills versus men. This is my ONLY concern with regard to women riding -- no experience. (note that the same would apply to any man that puts his legs around a hog for the first time in middle age)

It scares me that a woman with no experience might hop on a bike without the proper skills, and based only on my own experience it seems more likely to happen to a woman than a man. All of the guys I know and ride with these days have their roots on similar machines in their childhood. I think it's obvious that a person who just decides to get a bike out of the blue at 30 with no prior experience is at a lot higher risk than someone who worked up through bikes from childhood.

Of course there are cases that contradict my experience. I happen to know Jules was taught to ride by her father in her younger years and she was clearly taught to ride competently and with a command of the bike and I'm sure there are many, many, many more women like her.

All I'm saying is that before ANYONE rides, they should make sure they know what they're getting into and that they can really handle it.

All that said, I don't see any reason why a woman shouldn't be able to ride if she decides she has the ability to do so safely (as safe as one can expect to be on a bike) and has all her bases covered with kids, etc. should the worst happen.