Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Intentionally placed oil on roads???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Intentionally placed oil on roads???

One of our favourite bike roads, runs north of Sydney, On week ends, gets a lot of hoons on bikes and cars. the residents that live along some sections of it, get a bit peeved. There was a rumour going around that one of em was doing just that. but it turned out that they just put pressure on the local government, which resulted in the ususal weekend police blitz. My biggest whinge though, is diesal spilling from trucks, that stuff is just nasty.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so if it is an oil tank leaking and you crash... now what? could you sue the company or the state for crashing your bike? would there be anything you could do in the event that you did crash? or in the case of the gravel on the roads what if you got hurt or crashed? couldnt that be considered vandalism
just my .02
JonBrown

Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Hydrolic oil is one of the most scariest of all fluids on roads...

Its gotta to be the worst thing you could encounter with a bike.

Sometimes people will blow a line, and not notice for miles....leaving a stream or line of the stuff on the ground.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Retired Moderator

no way cops would do it IMO but I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibilities a random person would ... esp. if the area you're talking about is a common biker area near private residences ... story comes to mind from a couple of years back that I read about about Palomar Mtn. in CA whereby people living in the area where m/c riders regular tearing up through there were starting to **** off the citizens and after attempts to get a crack down by p.o. a few residents took vigilante style actions and started putting slippery substances down on tight corners.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Could be anything.
Sounds like it might be from someone hauling someting in a large tank and has a valve left open.
Prollyspilled out when accelerating, deceleratingor turning.
Could be tar, restaraunt grease, sepic tank material, porta-potty material, vegetable oil, who knows.
Try a smell or taste test and let us know.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 PM

One of the nice twisty roads around here had a similair situation. One road we ride, lined on both sides with old time country beach homes, kinda like a mini Isle of man, and one day riding through it, come around a corner and there are these big *** rocks, think between the size of a softball and a volleyball, lined up on the road! We stopped, and theres this guy watering his lawn, and low and behold, his driveway is framed in the exact same type of smoothed stones, and hes just looking at us. I got off and tossed the rocks into his yard, he didn't say a word. What a chicken**** huh?

Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 PM

yeah, that is chicken. Funny, I would have dont the same byreturning the rocks. The roads were finally somewhat normal if you were to ride in a grove from other road traffic. The center hump is still slick as snot. I dont think I did a good enough job describing the amount of oil. Without exaderating, the oil literally took up the complete right lane. I mean completly!!! All six or eight feet of it! It covered over one whole mile with an uphill grade. Then, I figured the reason it was oily in the intersections was braking and acceleratin. You would not believe how much of the local hwy and road ways had oil on them unless you saw them. That is why I found it so hard to comprehend that an oil tanker did it. The damn tank had to lose all of it's oil!
Just another lesson learned, oil is slippery as hell!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop
One of the nice twisty roads around here had a similair situation. One road we ride, lined on both sides with old time country beach homes, kinda like a mini Isle of man, and one day riding through it, come around a corner and there are these big *** rocks, think between the size of a softball and a volleyball, lined up on the road! We stopped, and theres this guy watering his lawn, and low and behold, his driveway is framed in the exact same type of smoothed stones, and hes just looking at us. I got off and tossed the rocks into his yard, he didn't say a word. What a chicken**** huh?
should've came back later and put one through his window... thats probly wut i would have done....