Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insurance on bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance on bikes

Do you guys have insurance on your bikes and if so, how much is a decent rate to pay for insurance. Now i dont get the rational behind insurance companies having a year long policy when they know you only ride a bike at most for 6 months. What a rip off! Anyway, anyone with an insurance story should feel free to share with me and the rest of the forum. I also know some of you dont have insurance on your bikes and i will like to hear those stories too .

Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Banned

As far as I know most, if not all states, require you to have at least liability insurance on your bike. Riding without it is like playing Russian roulet and just asking for trouble in my opinion. I pay about $90.00 a year for liability on my F2, but I am old and have a spotless driving record so far. (** knocking on wood **) I also use my bike a lot more than just 6 months out of the year, even here in the northeast.

Maybe this thread would be more appropriate in Off-Topic or somewhere other than the "New Member" section...

Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, welcome to CBRF!
Now that that is outta da way, what year/model bike do you have?
I pay roughly $700 for full coverage on my bike thru Allstate.

Maybe this thread would be more appropriate in Off-Topic or somewhere other than the "New Member" section...

Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM

Welcome to the forum!

In Japan we ride year round in the southern area.

I just received a quote for full coverage on brand new 2010 and it was $1400.00/year.
Basic liability is $300/year.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Washington and Florida are the only states that I know of who don't require moto insurance. Not sure of the details on WA, but I think in FL you have to be 21yrs or older and you have to wear a helmet.
All other states you need to have it. (So I don't want to hear stories about people breaking the law, ok? )

Regardless, insurance is the right thing to do, imo, and I think it's silly not to have it.

With that said, I have liability on my '95 CBR and full coverage on my '09 Kawasaki.
It costs me $459yr. (I know because I just paid it on monday...)

The big factors with insurance cost are age, driving record, and the bike you're riding. Newer supersports (especially ones with those little RRs in the name....lol) are most expensive.
Next big factor is obviously the amount of insurance you want to carry/deductibles/etc.

edit:
Maybe.......

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 04-14-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Nex

I don't know about Moto's, but I know up until about a month from now in WI you did NOT have to be insured...as in it was not a requirement, at least for automobiles. That is changing in a few months for autos. That said: like someone else said it's Russian Roulette to drive, or ride without it, and ESPECIALLY ride. I did a lot of looking around for a decent rate, and a friend who rides in PA suggested State Farm. Their quote for me was almost $130 LESS a MONTH than everyone else. I ride an 02 F4i, it's my first bike, and I did not drive for a few years, so I have no insured history or it would be even Lower! I am 28yrs, so I guess that can't hurt either. Look into state farm, they are kickin butt out there

Last edited by Nex; 04-14-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: unintentional cursing!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Progressive, $400 / yr liability with higher medical limits for my wife and I on the F2. Clean record.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 PM

all depends on driving record and age and type of bike

progressive 23yrs old 04f4i paid 900/yr for comprehensive w one speeding tix and one accident
my 05600rr is 1200/yr with only the accident still on the record.

in 2 yrs il be 25 and was told that itll drop big time given my record stays good.

also location effects rates too.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 PM

I have progressive and its 700$ yr just liablity but I have a lot of things on my record ie. OWI's driving after rev's and evading and elluding ( god I wish I could go back in time to when I was younger and beat the living $hit out of myself) But if you have a clean driving record it shouldnt be too bad on price.

Just check around and get a lot of quotes from every insurance place you can find once you do that just pick the best one and send em your money

Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM

2001 F4i - 200/year with progressive. It isn't worth getting full coverage on bikes. If you wreck it that is your fault and just pay to fix it yourself, or part it out. The extra amount you will pay in ins means you are better off just getting minimal policies to limit your liability exposure and cover theft.

Not having insurance is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. If you hit someone and killed them you could lose everything you own or will possibly own in the future. That sure isn't worth 200/year.

Quick Reply: Insurance on bikes