Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

injury question:

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injury question:

Ok, this is getting me a little concerned and wondering if anybody else has experienced this;

First off, I'm much better now and almost back to normal after almost 3 weeks after the accident. However, I believe I have a hematoma situation going on in my shin, which I landed on. There was big time bruising the first week then it started to go away, however, now the area is still swollen and spongy/liquidy under the skin. The surface is numb and will be for a while, or forever according to my doctor, but it hurts like a big beotch underneath. I can move the bulge up to about my knee then it returns...I'm thinking it's a formation of blood in there, hence the hematoma business. The dog jumped up and nailed it the other day with a paw and it hurt like a ****. I can walk and move around just fine with no pain, but if I bump it, it hurts.
I'm thinking they will drain it, which will be entirely gross. Has anybody else had an experience like this from an impact injury?

By the way, I go see the doctor in the morning and I'll bring this up. Also going for more vicodin because I liked it when the kitchen appliances were talking to me.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Default RE: injury question:

nothing happened like that, sorry sounds like a bitch

Old 10-25-2006, 04:09 PM

After the '84 El Camino cleaned me off my bike, I had what sounds like a very similar situation. The hood of his car came in at about a 45 degree angle and impacted my thigh, just above my knee. After a few weeks, I was able to walk around pretty normally but had the same spongy texture under the skin. If I sat with my elbows resting on my knees, there would be an indent left afterwards for several minutes. Poking a finger in the area would have the same effect. Eventually, most of it was absorbed back into my system. It does, however, build back up pretty quickly when I go running or mountain biking. Also, the skin all around the area is still completely numb like yours (over 5 months later now) and occasionally I have a severe stinging sensation in the otherwise numb area.

I don't think what i had going on was blood, however. There was lots of bleeding internally initially and huge bruising, but I think what remained was a mixture of fluids from ruptured cells, water, white blood cells, etc. Either way, if the doc says drain it, I'd drain it. You don't want little bits of coagulated blood getting into your blood stream. That's a recipe for aneurisms, strokes, heart attacks... things that make a drain sould like a walk in the park.

I imagine you'll have seen the doctor by the time you read this, so he/she will obviously have a more professional opinion, I just thought I'd share my similar injury--let you know you're not alone with these symptoms. Also glad to hear you're recovering. I read about your crash after it happened. You know this, but you're a lucky guy!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend hasnt had any injuries, but he does have a fluid build up in his knee. its all swelled up and gushy. he said they are going to have to drain it in surgery, they already tried with a syringe. dont know if its similar, but maybe something to suggest.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Retired Moderator

I'm glad I read this thread. I woke up this morning and asked myself," What can I do today to make myself puke for an hour and a half!"[8D]

Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: jjbtao

After the '84 El Camino cleaned me off my bike, I had what sounds like a very similar situation. The hood of his car came in at about a 45 degree angle and impacted my thigh, just above my knee. After a few weeks, I was able to walk around pretty normally but had the same spongy texture under the skin. If I sat with my elbows resting on my knees, there would be an indent left afterwards for several minutes. Poking a finger in the area would have the same effect. Eventually, most of it was absorbed back into my system. It does, however, build back up pretty quickly when I go running or mountain biking. Also, the skin all around the area is still completely numb like yours (over 5 months later now) and occasionally I have a severe stinging sensation in the otherwise numb area.

I don't think what i had going on was blood, however. There was lots of bleeding internally initially and huge bruising, but I think what remained was a mixture of fluids from ruptured cells, water, white blood cells, etc. Either way, if the doc says drain it, I'd drain it. You don't want little bits of coagulated blood getting into your blood stream. That's a recipe for aneurisms, strokes, heart attacks... things that make a drain sould like a walk in the park.

I imagine you'll have seen the doctor by the time you read this, so he/she will obviously have a more professional opinion, I just thought I'd share my similar injury--let you know you're not alone with these symptoms. Also glad to hear you're recovering. I read about your crash after it happened. You know this, but you're a lucky guy!

Yeah, what you said is pretty much right on the money. It was a hematoma, a collection of fluid and blood under the skin and the surrounding muscle tissue. She said that it didn't feel necessary to drain it, but still an option. She also said it would take time for it all to absorb back into the tissue. If she felt any hard tissue or anything like that, then it would need to be drained one way or another.
I was concerned because I've had impacts from baseball and football and cycling and stuff, which did swell, but it never remained like this. I figured it was fluid but wasn't sure why it was still there or what to do about it.

Voodoochyl, I'm glad I can make your day

Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 PM

Oh yeah, I've had plenty of injuries from sports, mountain biking, stupidity, etc. yet nothing came close to the damage done to my leg. There are still dents in my thigh and calf (from my leg being driven back and into the passenger peg by the bumper of the El Camino) that I imagine will always be there. It's crazy to think about the sorts of impacts our bodies can withstand.

Anyway, sounds like the doc's report was good. Funny, though, to look at something like that and have a doctor tell you it's normal and to be expected!

Voodoocyl-- just be glad we aren't posting pictures! I know I've got some and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Retired Moderator

No more accidents allowed guys...be good!