Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Importing a canadian CBR into the USA

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a canadian CBR into the USA

So I recently purchased a CBR F4i while at a bike show in Toronto. I live in New York and I'm trying to get all the facts straight on what exactly is involved with importing a bike. Currently the bike is still at the shop until I get all the paperwork straight to bring it over. I stopped at U.S. customers on my way back and according to them I need the following to import a vehicle:

1. The Vehicle being imported
2. Proof of ownership (Title, registration, or Bill of Sale)
3. A letter of conformity from the manufacturer. This letter must confirm that the specific vehicle you wish to import meets any/all U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) standards.

My real question is about #3. Anybody every go through this process? How did you get in touch with Honda to get this letter of conformity?

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Importing a canadian CBR into the USA

Wjile I haven't gone through it, I would contact your local Honda dealership, and see if they can help with the appropriate paperwork. Your shopa are probably closed Sundays and Mondays like ours...good luck and welcome.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM

I don't know about bikes. But Cars made for the Canadain market, usually have a bit more enviromental controls then US ones. So I don't think you will have a problem passing number #3. But how do you get that ? i don't know.
I googled this site i dunno if it helps http://www.importcarcanada.com/main/index.php?page=7

Old 01-04-2009, 06:08 PM

i don't think youll run into there where you are, but living here in maine, people buy "USED" cars....like 2007-2008's with low miles to take over to canada, because it has to have been titled before, or it has a mileage/waiting period before it can be brought over.

with cars they have to have the California/Maine Emissions proof, which is slightly stricter than the Federal Emissions.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
RCR

Im sure its not a letter from Honda but a spec sheet that meets US standards. Like the DOT requirments for a motorcycle would be a start. Looks like Google is going to be your friend here.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...o/mcpkg002.pdf

Check with the local DMV first. If all else fails register the bike in Canada, bring it over to the states and reigister it here and if that doesnt work, well at least its registered in Canada.