Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'm bikeless now :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm bikeless now :(

im going through some major bike withdrawls...lol

I just sold my bike yesterday (02 F4i) and im hard QQ. I had no choice but to sell but i'm so sad.. I wish I didn't have to sell..wahhh

But anyways, if you guys are still reading at this point lol, I have a question.

My beloved bike that I spent such a brief time with (but those 6 months will never be forgotten) I learned how to double clutch efficiently and rev-match rather well.

However, I'm looking towards buying a new car and I know that DCT is the new "fast" of the trannys and what not but I'm wondering: with all the knowledge i've learned (double clutching and revmatching) would I be able to drive a stick? I've never actually driven a stick ("manual mode" autos dont count for me) and I was wondering if i was ready for that :X

I feel like im about to get flamed or called a tard or something. lol

Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 AM

No need to double clutch a car, and how exactly do you double clutch a bike?
Double clutching is mostly limited to trucks with a non-synchro gearbox or vehicles like race cars that also do not have a synchronized gearbox.

Last edited by RedBaron; 06-27-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizuruu
...would I be able to drive a stick? I've never actually driven a stick ("manual mode" autos dont count for me) and I was wondering if i was ready for that...
Sorry you had to sell your bike.

Driving a manual is about coordination. Not saying that riding the bike you had that coordination but chances are you did. Driving a stick isn't rocket-science, you can do it.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Anyone can drive a manual vehicle. The basics come quick, beyond that it's just practice.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM

Double clutching a bike would be wierd. There are three combo steps to double clutching: disengage clutch then shift into nuetral, engage clutch then rev match, disengage then shift, and lastly re engage. On a car thats easy because you can access nuetral from each shift position to the next. On a bike you would really only be able to do it 1st to 2nd or 2nd to first.

Driving a stick is awesome (except when your in traffic or waiting to pay your parking garage fee in a garage with a steep incline and many cars inline), you can definately get the hang of it.

Last edited by Michaud85; 06-27-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aken
Anyone can drive a manual vehicle. The basics come quick, beyond that it's just practice.
+1. give yourself a week and you'll be a pro.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM

You almost had me? You never had your car. Granny shiftin’, not double clutchin’ like you should. Almost had me?

pffft

Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry you had to sell bike......if you have the luxury of buying a car automatic transmission + tiptronic why go back to old school stick. Chances are your GF, friends, ditto will need to borrow your car or something. You may need to sell it too later on...automatic is easy to sell.

I learn to drive on a stick "DATSUN" 240Z....then RX7...all stick. It keeps your hands & legs very busy....you sure? If you want to learn, it's not hard. Just avoid stoping at a hill/slope & a car tailgating you....LOL.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
You almost had me? You never had your car. Granny shiftin’, not double clutchin’ like you should. Almost had me?

pffft

now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block....

Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 AM

yeah double clutching on a bike was weird, but I felt like it wouldn't be a bad skill to learn so i did practice with 1 and second gear hehe it was actually kind of fun (although my f4i sometimes wouldnt grab the gear correctly ). hrmm this is kinda hard for me. I dont EXACTLY have the luxury to buy an auto, but if im making payments anyways, the auto tranny would just increase it a few bucks a month lol.

as for the cars i'm lookin into, it's gonna be a scrion frs/subaru brz or a 370z. or possibly a '13 gen coupe. Ierno

Quick Reply: I'm bikeless now :(