Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I think my cagers clutch is going out...help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my cagers clutch is going out...help

I have a 94 Camry, 184K on it, original clutch (i think), 5 speed. The car is in gear, say doing 40MPH in 4th gear (about 2200 rpms) and when I push the gas harder, my RPMs jump way up and I do not accelerate. I do believe my clutch or one of its main components is on its way out. I do not have the time or tools to do it, and no way of riding the bike when the roads are frozen at night. Any idea on the cost of parts and labor? I figure since its a 5 speed, it would be a clutch replacement, check out the flywheel, replace all the cylinders, seals, and whatever else goes with the clutch.

Could my tranny fluid be low? This has been getting worse and worse, even when its warmed up it slips. Someone give me a ballpark, I was thinking 200-300 for parts and 200-400 for labor. That sucks....

Old 12-27-2008, 10:35 PM
RCR
Default RE: I think my cagers clutch is going out...help

Yep its your clutch, not a fluid issue that is really only a automatic problem, a stick shift would make noises and seize.

Cost depends on where you take it, Most likely you will need a new throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch and maybe even a flywheel if you burnt it. They can turn the flywheel though.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:36 AM

sounds like the clutch is slipping, sometimes you can tighten them a bit. But it's a patch fix, and you will have to replace it soon anyways.
The last one I replaced on my Honda prelude cost me about 700 cnd

Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, clutch plate is shot. I'm not sure if you can do the clutch on a Camry with the engine in, though. Best to change the pressure plate and throwout (thrust) bearing at the same time.
http://www.10w40.com/pages/manuals_shiptoyota.asp

This from Mike Murrell on the Camry forum
At the web site below, you will find pdf versions of Toyota factory service manuals. They had issues with trying to download using Internet Explorer, but have resolved it. I just got done downloading all '07 Camry 2AZ-FE FSMs. There are manuals there for many generations of Camry's.

Hard copy FSMs will run you between $300 - $400. I hope this helps someone.

http://www.camrymanuals.com/

Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to make sure they change the release bearing too!!

Jules

Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 AM

Mine is going out in my Civic also, but if you know someone that works on cars on the side most people will give you a deal. If I had the garage/tools I would replace mine myself, but I know a retired mechanic that works out of his garage and he charges $150(I know him and he does most mywork for little or no labor cost)to replace the clutch but you have to buy the parts...which a clutch kit runs about $150~ depending on what you get they can be much higher.

If you take it to a shop, your looking at about 500-600 for a clutch to be replaced. they up the charges for the parts, and then kill you with the labor.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 AM

On a FWD is not too hard. I think the hardist part is disconnecting the CV joints. On a honda it's simple they just pull right out. But 600-700 isn't bad to spend, on something thats probley going to last the lifetime for the car. I spent allmost that on my grandprix last summer just on a couple of sensors that fried. And a new muffler. I was soo happy when the same ones went again this fall lol

Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 AM

600 wouldnt be bad, any more and I may go looking for a new car. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: I think my cagers clutch is going out...help