Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I need advice, sold my bike & guy is threatening me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need advice, sold my bike & guy is threatening me!

Alright the story starts that I sold my bike (a 1995 F3) about a month ago, I had owned it for over 2 years. As far as I know the only problems were that the cam chain tensioner was clicking and the shifter wouldnt center. I described everything to the buyer and showed him in detail, started and rode it for him twice before he said he would buy it. He rode off and had to stop at the gas station as he came early and I didnt get a chance to put more gas in.

A couple days later he texts me that he cant get it in neutral and they haven't been able to ride it since they got it home. I gave him some suggestions from what I found on this forum, as I had never had trouble getting it into neutral. A few days later he again texts me telling me "the transmission is ****ed" and it needs a new one. I told him that because it broke down so soon after buying it that I would help pay for the repair bill as long as he provided a receipt and documentation.

He ended up telling me that the shift fork was bent and the dogs werent engaging (trans never popped out of gear on me, I have others who rode it that will verify) and that he was going to buy a whole new motor and transmission assembly and wanted (did not ask, demanded) me to pay $800. Now the thing is I looked at the quote he sent me and called the shop and that was all it is, just a quote, they had not opened the transmission up or done any repair as he had claimed. I had told him I would be sending a check before I remembered to call the shop so he texted me when the mail came and said he didnt like being lied to and he was being "nice right now"

I told him that the shop never had his bike in or looked into it or repaired it like he claimed they did and that he could contact me through my lawyer and I would inform the police what was going on. Obviously he didnt like this and sent a text that I took as threatening telling me I "was lying dog and made a big mistake. make sure the police are at your....." (yes, that is how he ended the text)

I obviously didnt sell it with a warranty and at this point if it did break on him I wouldnt even want to help with the bill. Any advice? Does it sound like a scam to anyone else? Its really stressing me out

Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you sell it AS-IS or certified?
If you sold it AS-IS tell him to get lost, There is nothing any court can do to you.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

tell him to pound sand. if he gets nasty and shows up at your house, call the police.
he can take you to court if he wants to talk about it further.

no warranty. its buyer beware when you buy from private parties.
he test rode it twice and it was fine enough to buy
hasn't had it fixed, so he's not financially damaged yet.
you know the bike better than him and should have witnesses to its condition.
hopefully, you wrote AS IS on the bill of sale and have a copy.

you know it's probably a scam.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

99.9% is buyers beware when buying used vehicles, in this case a motorcycle. Unless you have in writing and signed saying bike is all good, no problem what so ever, then you may be liable to pay...but most deals is oral...so it does not mean ****. You were nice trying to help him absorb some but for him to take to any dealer, of course quite would cost a leg and arm.

Suggestion:

1. If you like to help him, because you feel it is right ethics ( don't let the threat influence your decision). Text him back saying the bike is used and sold as is. He cannot take to shop and quote for new parts install. Say you did not have problem when own it. In fact you advise him of some issue. But just because you want to help, make him an offer within your judgement, say $200 give or take some....see if he bites...if he takes it, save the text, the text saying he agree to taking the $200 as is. This will protect you if he turns around asking for more. Don't meet up with him, send him a check. So everything is documented. Now this is your choice if you want to help him base on ethics, cause you are the one that understand what you've told him about the bike...but by law, you are not at fault. All private party use vehicle transaction is buyers beware base...so even if you known about the problem or not, it's not your fault in the court of law. A honest seller may not know about a existing problem when selling...

2. If you decide to not help him, take the necessary steps to protect yourself and family. Tell everyone in your neighborhood about this incident. Save his threatening text and report it to police. Text him back saying sorry, bike is sold as is and you were not aware of problem. The price you sold was already discounted price. (maybe after this text, he'll take your $200 offer).

When his return text gets HOT, tell him we are all adults and should handle things calm. It is a USED bike.

Last option, if he is pressuring you so HOT with threat! Tell him you already file a police report with the local police Dept.

He can take you to court, but cannot threaten you.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM

he sounds like a turd.
I think you where being nice about helping pay his repair bill. Usually on a private sale it's "as is as seen" it's his problem now. Look up your states Lemon Law. In NH it's "As IS" but down in Massachusetts the buyer has the right to return to the seller even if it's a private sale if it meets certain condition for the lemon law.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Thank you so much everyone! I have basically everything documented that hes said to me. I wasn't so much worried about legal action by him because I originally offered to help with the bill or even buy the bike back if need be, because if it happened to me I would want the same. I just don't respond well to threats and with my mom and my 4 year old brother at the house, I can't take it lightly. All I asked of him was a receipt and some documentation to keep it all together and now he is saying things like "what goes around comes around. Be careful..."

Again everyone thanks for the advice, I also contacted the police and a lawyer about it so I'm hoping it will get handled. Even if I do end up having to help pay him and it was legitimate, I wouldn't be mad, I just don't want to pay a scammer and especially will not give in because of threats. If the whole transmission went kaboom as soon as he bought it I would maybe even still consider helping out.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM

The one thing I screwed up on was making a copy of the bill of sale. But I have the one I used on the printer still so idk

Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good karma...Use common ethics...don't go over and beyond.....but problem is what if 2 days after, he says bike has electrical problem??? Lesson learn....that's why it's so hard to sell...buyer will always wants cheap but good.

Private Seller should always sell as is... If buyer wants some kind of warranty, go to dealer.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 PM

Yeah all I really wanted was proof it was fixed, pictures, receipts, anything and I would have helped make it right. I even looked around to get quotes and ideas of what the problem might be (if there is one) to get the best price. He was pretty uncivil after a couple days and it just got blown out of proportion.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 PM

Private sales are as-is unless there's some written and signed agreement otherwise. You've been more than fair in offering to help cover repair costs. I wouldn't wait for him to show up at my door trying to cause trouble; reporting him to the police was the right call.

I wouldn't worry too much about messing up the bill of sale. You can prove that you owned it by past registration and insurance, and the sale price doesn't matter in a dispute like this. What the bill of sale mostly serves to do is prove the buyer has legal right to the vehicle (and tell the DMV how much tax to pay).

Quick Reply: I need advice, sold my bike & guy is threatening me!