Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I hate OSHA

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I hate OSHA

ORIGINAL: RCR

Im in a battle with Cal/OSHA right now. Mafia thats all I can say about those bastards.

One of my employees shot himself in the knee with a staple gun (7/8" X 2" long) He kept his finger on the trigger and brushed his against the saftey tip and it shot a staple deep into his knee cap and required emergancy surgery. Under law you have to report to Osha any hospital stay over 24hrs. I did that and filed reports(safety/toolbox meetings and about ten others reportsrequiredwith them).

Long story short theemployee (3 year employee not new hire) wrote a report stated he was at fault and knew he should not of kept his finger on the trigger.

Bastards fined me $350 for the accident. I refuse to pay the fine and will not recognize their extortion tactics and said I will see them in court.

Of course Osha is funded soley by fining employers so why would I think they are fair in judgment.
Goodluck bro, i feel you. I'm just a painter and i got OSHA stopping on my jobs every other job it seems. Luckily i haven't been fined yet ! I took a safety/instructional class by JLG (man lift/boom trucks) just so i could have something to show them when they stop by now. They require me to keep all kinds of stuff on every site. First aid kits, safety glasses, hard hats, water containers and cups, harnesses, etc. Some of it i understand and do use, but some is just off the wall. I wear safety glasses if im removing paint, but a hard hat ? psssssh.

I had to get clearence for a big job coming up, doing some interior painting on some condo's that are being built right now. They are requiring me to wear a hard hat and safety glasses while i paint these totally finished condo's. I just dont understand that. People are going to live in there without hardhats, i mean if the ceiling caves im pretty doomed anyways, haha. I paint, im not there for the rough construction...

I harness up on any roof i go on, for myown sake, always have. They pulled up one time when i was on a porch roof that was flat and maybe 6-7 feet off the ground, but because it was less then 6 feet wide they required I wear a harness. I laughed at the lady and jumped off the roof. She was PISSED ! Luckily i was working alone at that job and since it was my company and not an employee she didn't fine me.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When OSHA first started out they forced my uncle's store to put a railing around a shelf that was two feet deep, three feet from the ceiling and accessable only from a rolling ladder. They claimed someone would climb up on it fall off. With a railing in place there was no way to store anything on it. Success, I guess. Nobody ever went up there again.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Your ****ting me right. I have to take OSHA 111 for an entire semester.
i took occupational safety 422 last semester, a lot of long boring papers but there were a ton of real life case studies in the text book about the dumbest things you can imagine but also some really relevant ****. granted a lot of it is common sense but think about owning a company and employing someone who turns out...at the most inopportune time is a baffoon and gets shocked or rigs something up that kills someone...it's there to cover their *** and if you go through that training then you can't say "well I was never told."

at my last job it was a catch 22...you'd get screamed at for working on a robot near a live 3500 ton press with no barriers when protocol required you to kill the press, the robot, lock and tag it all then fix it...that **** would take 40 minutes for a stupid vacuum cup. if you actually did all that they'd be bitching about you taking forever.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty normal for me to hear all those things above since I make a living with OSHA.

And Fuze, not sure about your country legislation but I guess you need to wear a hardhat because of your trade which fall under certain risk category requires to do so. Apart from that the condo is not completed yet so there is no certificate of fitness.

I had seen tons of cases people arguing with OSHA but the law is there to protect you. You never know how an accident will occur, that's the truth.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 PM

It also saves dumbasses from tieing two ladders together to reach something higher then 1 ladder can reach. You can see how this is not a good idea, but i have seen other contractors do it. DUH!

I witnessed a contractor flip a 60ft JLG lift. He drove a wheel off a little cliff in the yard while he was extended in the boom. It catapulted him up, over into the power line, down on the roof next door, and ultimately head first onto the cement sidewalk. I thought he was dead. I saw the guy a week later when he got out of the hospital just randomly in town, and he was purple all over. Lucky to be alive, but sheer stupidity.

edit. Yup Dinez, i don't even agrue with them anymore. I just nod and do what they tell me now days. That way they can't take my money. And your probably right with the hard hat in a finished condo. Even though i don't go in until it's pretty much finished and there is nothing to fall on my head, i do understand why it is still a 'hard hat zone'. When i get there it's just probably not been inspected yet.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: fuze

ORIGINAL: RCR

Im in a battle with Cal/OSHA right now. Mafia thats all I can say about those bastards.

One of my employees shot himself in the knee with a staple gun (7/8" X 2" long) He kept his finger on the trigger and brushed his against the saftey tip and it shot a staple deep into his knee cap and required emergancy surgery. Under law you have to report to Osha any hospital stay over 24hrs. I did that and filed reports(safety/toolbox meetings and about ten others reportsrequiredwith them).

Long story short theemployee (3 year employee not new hire) wrote a report stated he was at fault and knew he should not of kept his finger on the trigger.

Bastards fined me $350 for the accident. I refuse to pay the fine and will not recognize their extortion tactics and said I will see them in court.

Of course Osha is funded soley by fining employers so why would I think they are fair in judgment.
Goodluck bro, i feel you. I'm just a painter and i got OSHA stopping on my jobs every other job it seems. Luckily i haven't been fined yet ! I took a safety/instructional class by JLG (man lift/boom trucks) just so i could have something to show them when they stop by now. They require me to keep all kinds of stuff on every site. First aid kits, safety glasses, hard hats, water containers and cups, harnesses, etc. Some of it i understand and do use, but some is just off the wall. I wear safety glasses if im removing paint, but a hard hat ? psssssh.

I had to get clearence for a big job coming up, doing some interior painting on some condo's that are being built right now. They are requiring me to wear a hard hat and safety glasses while i paint these totally finished condo's. I just dont understand that. People are going to live in there without hardhats, i mean if the ceiling caves im pretty doomed anyways, haha. I paint, im not there for the rough construction...

I harness up on any roof i go on, for myown sake, always have. They pulled up one time when i was on a porch roof that was flat and maybe 6-7 feet off the ground, but because it was less then 6 feet wide they required I wear a harness. I laughed at the lady and jumped off the roof. She was PISSED ! Luckily i was working alone at that job and since it was my company and not an employee she didn't fine me.
I guess you have not seen what happens to you when paint splatter lands on your head. You will be thankfulto your repwhen it does happen (oh it will happen).

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 PM

haha i know right. My baseball cap isn't enough to stop the armor piercing paint splatters !

Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have more than a thousand workers to deal with in my yard. Toughest part will be to change their mindset to OSHA. Just recently a worker lost 3 fingers because of a silly mistake. There goes my bonus!

Talking bout hard hat, people always argue to me the relevance of it to wear inside the workshop since there is nothing on top of them except the roof. One incident happen a few months ago when a metal cover from the motor of a overhead crane which suppose can't be opened flew and fell on top of a worker. His helmet saves his day and like I said nobody ever expected that particular cover can drop!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think these guys hate OSHA too.

Name:  commonsense.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  87.4 KB

Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

Well its on you as the employee got injured at your workplace so OSHA have to fine you.

Quick Reply: I hate OSHA