Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I am so sick of pain!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am so sick of pain!!!

So I have to rant a little bit here. About a year and a half ago I managed to rupture my L4 disk while moving (I think, however a few months before hand I did injur my back but I was threatened at work and told if I want to keep my job my doctor will release me to work so I really don't think there is anything I can do about that situation) so I have more or less been in constant pain for the last 18 months or so. The disk is ruptured against my siatic nerve (main nerve that runs down your leg) so the pain is generaly from mylower back to the heal of my foot. Now I have been in the welding fabricating industry for the majority of my working life, obviously that kind of work is out now until I can get my back fixed. So I recently decided I would give stereo installation a shot to see how it works for me. I was doing fine, which suprised me I can't really lift anything heavy but the bending and working on the cars was just fine until yesterday. I am on my knees installing an amp under the driver side seat. I go stand up and get a shooting pain from my lower back through my shoulders at the same time through both of my legs. I instantly fell flat on my face and could not move for the better part of 5 minutes. Now here I am the next day unable to walk upright, I cannot stand up straight. If I try to straighten my back out my lower back tightens up and sends shooting pain all through my body. Laying down hurts just as much, I have been awake now going on 48 hours. I have no insurance either so I am really stuck, I have never been in pain like I am right now. Does anybody have any thoughts on this matter? I really am tired of living this way...

P.S. I have a bruise on my back where the disk is ruptured, been that way now since it ruptured. Since yesterday it has about doubled in size and darkness

Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 AM
Default RE: I am so sick of pain!!!

man I'm sorry to hear that. I think you should go to theemergecy room and let them look at it if it hurts that bad go now dont wait and if its bruised thats blood coming from some where not good.worry about the money later you health comes first..

Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM

wait a sec.. if i read your post correctly your job threatened to fire you if your dr didnt release you to work? uhh there is something wrong there dude......

Old 02-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Yeah there was something very wrong about that and I wish I would have called an attourney that day but I was stupid and didn't, which I am dearly paying for now.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my back years ago, same place L3/L4. I went to a Physio, who gave me a set of exercises to do. At 1st I thought they where a waste of time, but physio is a gradual thing, there are a lot of sites that have the exercises displayed
www.nismat.org/ the secret it is to do them slowly, (slowly alright) wot your trying to do is stretch your spine to allow the disc to get back into plac. they do work.
Get yourself a thick dense foam mattress, and throw it on the floor to sleep on (in the short term for pain relief), the foam will support your back. If can't do that, then on your normal bed, don't sleep on your back, lay on your side, with your legs bent.
Wot is really important is to keep the tendons in the back of your legs stretched (all connected believe me) So start doing those type of exercises (warm up style), look out for your posture when you sit, even if you have to sit in a kichen chair with a cushion behind you, avoid sitting in low chairs, as you can stuff your back again, just getting up, If you drive a car, get a back support or roll a towel up to put behind your lower back (where it curves).
But the biggest advice I can give you, avoid getting into the habit of using pain killers to mask the pain, your back ain't going to get any better, your going to root your Renal system, and your going to have to increase the doses for them to work. If your not already seeing one, get Physio, its good for short term pain relief, plus long term benefits. There are back support groups out there, use em, there are heaps on the net to, a good way of getting good advice, plus they know where you can get value for your buck.
Good luck, you have my sympathies and support.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:19 PM

I have something wrong with my back. it is constant aching pain on my right lower side. Been to chiropractor and now going through therapy, and that isnt doing anything, so going to get an mri soon. Im sick of this pain too...been constant for about 4 months

Old 02-19-2007, 01:20 AM

That really sucks man, sounds like hell. Good luck, I wish you a quick (or any for that matter) recovery.
________
Motorcycle Tires

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 AM

i have a friend that has the same problem, but you sound alot worse than him, he just has backaches often because he landed on a curb while skating and one of his verts got shifted slightly, go see a doc if you can man that sounds like hell, hope you get well soon

Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to upset any Chiro's out there, but its like this, alot a back problems are caused by the muscles, sort of like when you do some heavy work, aching muscles. However disc problems, apart from those from trauma, like a car or bike accident, are usually done over a long period, (and usually because were slack about our "back habits"). some of reasons can from a family history of back problems, wot I'm saying is that they don't happen overnight, but over a period of time, but it only takes one incident to set it off. Chiro can be ok, but it can also make it worse, but physio is a long slow process, it eases the disc back into shape.I saw my Physio three times, then once every 6 months, and just did the exercises he gave me. A herniated disc means that it protrudes out, usually putting pressure on nerves (sciatic) radiating pain down your backside & and into your legs. There is no quick fix unless you have surgery to remove the disc, but thats a last resort. from what maxxheadroom says, he is still working, bending over is a bad thing to do.
Back needs at least a couple of weeks of rest from that sort of thing, so its a bummer that he still has to work, but it does not mean he can't get better. You never get over a bad back with a disc problem, but you can certainly get it to a point where its managable. Like after a 300 click ride, I know that if I'm stupid enough to try and put my bike on its center stand, then next day I'm probably getting home by train.
As I said before, there is heaps of info & support groups out there, everyone at some stage in their life is going to have some sort of back problem, (price you pay for walking around upright) oh yeah, Yoga (not Yoda) is supposed to be good for your back to.