Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How much have you talked your salesmen down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much have you talked your salesmen down?

For my third topic of the night (can't stop thinking about this bike!!) I'm wondering how much you guys were able to talk down your salesmen (or women) at your local stealership!

I had never bought a new car/bike/anything at a dealer before so when I went in to get my bike I think I shot a bit low on the negotiating scale, but I did get the bike for cheaper than a good number of people were reporting getting them for, so I was happy!

This time around though I'm looking at a much more expensive bike (~$12,000) so I'm hoping to talk the salesmen down a bit more, but don't know how much would be completely crazy to start at, and what would be too little to try and take off. A friend suggested I walk in with $9,500 cash...but for some reason I highly doubt a dealer is going to sell me a new 2013 CBR600rr for $9,500, even if it is cash...

So how much did you guys talk the dealers down by? I'm thinking of trying to bring in like $10,000 or $10,500.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

10% is market...now they prey on bad credit financing... So be firm and believe that if they don't offer you a good deal, other dealers will...

Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 AM

I agree, im not sure what its like over there but in the UK aim for about 10%. i never pay asking price for anything, i barter for as much as a i can, and i am a saleman myself! so i know what to say to get around them.
Cash is King, but remember, they make more money in the long run having you buy a bike on finance because of the interest, timing is key.
Go in towards the end of the month, if its been a slow month, they'll want to do anything to get there target.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 AM
January 2012 AND 2013 Ride of the Month

i have never bought new. but if you can get them to lower at least $500 off, i would think thats good.

i bought my bike private, and got it for $3900, which the buyer asked 4200 ..i think

Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paying cash and the entire sum? Definitely can tell the dealer he can eat things like prep and freight. The dealer "costs" which are them just trying to increase their margin. Also triple check they're offering all their current incentives. Like my dealer offers return customer, MSF completion, Military and First Responder discounts. Getting them to go below actual MSRP is difficult unless buying used or leftover stock.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 AM

I could check the dealer I bought my 250 from, they had a black 600rr in the showroom last time I was in there, must have been a 2012 so maybe I'll try and get that one. I don't think there are many differences between the 2012 and 13 besides paint, a little different fairings/exhaust and wheels.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I walk in to a Toyota dealer with my cousin. On the showroom a fully loaded Camry with a Lexus package. The sticker MSRP asking $32,509

We offer $25,000 out door including tax and paper.

Dealer respond with $31,000 out the door. We said no...walk out...they call us back from the parking lot...said $30,000 out door...we said no.

Then their final offer was $27500 but they need to strip the Lexus package which includes 20" chrome wheel....we said HELL no.

Then our last offer is $25,000 + tax and papers = roughly $27,200

The deal accepted...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richbransby
remember, they make more money in the long run having you buy a bike on finance because of the interest
This is important. He might be willing to take a loss on the bike if he thinks he'll make it up on financing. So don't let him know you intend to pay cash. If he asks how you're paying just say you aren't sure, and want to agree to a price first before thinking about financing.

I usually start by asking how much he wants for it, and is that the best he can do. Let him make the first move - then you're starting off from a better baseline when you offer him a lower price.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I financed my last bike at the dealer which cost less...I'm thinking of financing through my bank this time and coming in with cash. I'll be able to get a better rate at the bank for a few reasons. But I think he'll assume I'm going in with financing. I think I'll shoot for $9,500 OTD on a 2012 600rr.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer still has to charge you prep as it's a requirement for the vehicle being sold and the tech who prepares your vehicle has to be paid. Honda corporate usually offers "bonus bucks" for certain model bikes from month to month which the dealer can then pass onto you. If you don't mind waiting, ask about it and wait for Honda to offer money on whatever bike you're interested in.

Quick Reply: How much have you talked your salesmen down?