Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How do you feel about riding in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you feel about riding in the rain?

I've done it before, but never at night. I left a friends house earlier tonight and was calm and easy as usual in the rain, but at night it's a different story. So much harder to see. My visor kept fogging so I had to leave it open a bit and the rain on it made it even harder too see. Reminds me that I should rainX it. I didn't lose any traction because I was riding so calm and easy, but it makes me think about the tires I have and how the tread doesn't look like it would actually shrug off the rain easily. I had to full tuck cause I was worried about the wind causing me to slide outta control.
How do you deal with the rain? Do you have a tire that is more dedicated to rain than dry? If so I would be interested in which it is, cause I may just give up a little dry traction for a little more wet traction.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: How do you feel about riding in the rain?

lol rainx doesnt help with fog, you need to get a better helmet or invsest in some of that stuff you put on the inside of your helmet to help with the fog.

and as long as your tire has plenty of tread you'll be just fine in the rain.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 AM

No, the rain x won't help with the fog, but I don't mind riding with the screen up a bit. It was really the rain itself on the screen that made it hard to see.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to ride in rain but being in tropical place its all too common for me. I had plenty of near misses while riding in wet condition; just be extra cautious, roads can be really slippery, tires and brakes can be unpredictable as well and the safest bet is to stop riding and take a cover when you are feeling uncomfortable with it.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 AM

Oh sure, definetely be cautious. I do favor the front brake more than the rear in the rain.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i dont mind it, even better if you have specific rain gear on but in just jeans it kinda sucks. i hate the way people in vehicles drive when its raining. but other then that i can actually be nice riding in the rain.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 AM

The bottoms of me jeans get a bit wet and the rear of my bike gets a little dirty, but I don't want to push my tires much cause I don't know how they can handle the rain, they just don't look like they can rid the rain very well. I was riding in dry the other night and got on throttle just a bit during a turn and kicked it sideways. Controlled it yes, but that was on dry. I'm a bit afraid of the rain, I haven't gone down yet and sure don't want to. I'm on BT1010s, yeah they are old. The originals on my F4i. They have only 7k miles on them and plenty of tread. I just don't trust them in the rain, but from what I am hearing is that I'll be fine. Which is cool, thanks! I'm just skeptical. I'm used to auto tires with plenty of channels.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a Rain X product that's supposed to be anti fogging, but it like works for about 1/2 hour, have heard of a lot of home remedies for that one including rubbing a cut potato on the visor & buffing it off. All you have to remember for riding in the rain is good wet weather gear. Hard to concentrate with cold water running down your back or a nice cold pool of rain forming in your croutch.
As I have said before, relax, leave yourself a bit more space in case of emergency braking & dick heads doing all manner of nonsense, panicking because its raining.
Oh yeah, most modern tyre compounds are better in the wet than than used to be, won't help you if there is oil & water on the road, so be a bit more careful if it has not rained for a while & washed the crap away.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 1pc rain suit so bring it on! i dont mind it at all, when im in the rain suit. its nothing but water . just have to keep a steady/smooth throttle hand and dont stab at the brakes/throttle. personaly, the stock Dunlop Qualifiers suck ******* in the rain. PP's are absolutely awesome in it!!!

Quick Reply: How do you feel about riding in the rain?