Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Horrible day with an even worse end, help me please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible day with an even worse end, help me please!

So I am on my way to work (Just under 100 mile ride) when traffic comes to a complete stop. No big deal right? WRONG about 3 minutes into the traffic stop which mind you is in construction with no shoulders at all my cooling fan stops working. I can't go anywhere, traffic is moving just enough up hill that I can't shut my bike off. I am now frantically looking for an exit, but not in time before my bike gets way hot. I had just got my needle into the red when an off ramp comes, I pull off shut her down and let it cool off. By the time the bike is cooled off I am late for work, but no more traffic. So I am on my way bike is doing fine, but when I get closer to work I smell gas. I just assumed it was from the POS in front of me. Later that night I go out to grab some food only to find a big huge puddle of gas under my bike. So I shut the fuel off and have to go back into work. When I come back out the puddle is gone so I figure the fuel line must have cracked from the heat. I turn the fuel on, no leak nothing. Then I try starting my bike, the bike is not in gear (confirmed by the indicator light) I hit the start button and the bike jumps forward. So I make sure the bike is not in gear which it is not. I also pull the clutch in. Hit the switch and all I get is a click of the starter and a dimming of the lights. Oh yeah and it started leaking fuel again. So now I am waiting after a 12 hour crappy grave yard shift for my wife to drive 2 hours to come and get me and my bike. Anybody have any thoughts? I am really seriously upset and bummed out, somebody give me a little bit of light here to make me feel better about this situation. [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned
Default RE: Horrible day with an even worse end, help me please!

Disconnect your battery before it blows up. Nothing good will come from leaking gas and clicking noises. As for a little bit of light to make you feel better...you sound like you have a good wife, give her a kiss when you see herand get her some flowers tomorrow,

Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 PM

sorry to hear that, my f2 had done that to me before. im sure if u lift ur tank up u'll find ur leak comin from one of the fuel lines. easy fix go to the parts store and get rubber hose to replace. second fan probaly blew a fuse or just came unplugged, check the wiring goin to the fan and check ur fuse box. also u just have a dead battery, clickin and dimming of the lights usually means a dead battery but while ur checkin the fuse box check ur starter fuse. hope u get it home and tear it apart and find the problem, wow and 2 hours away? pretty far distance to go for the job huh? a good wife, i wouldnt have heard the end of it the whole ride home seein how "your motorcycle doesnt benefit me, just somethin else for u to blow ur money on, i dont ride it!" but try those things and keep us posted on ur finds!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:32 PM

next time you need to split those lanes homey. when no shoulders, use the middle! we cant ever stop for traffic down here in Texas, its just too damn hot! sorry bout your luck bro. sounds to me like your bike is ceized up. might have gotten too hot after traffic on the way to work and locked up when you shut it off. hope thats not the case. good luck mang.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: jmhIV

next time you need to split those lanes homey. when no shoulders, use the middle! we cant ever stop for traffic down here in Texas, its just too damn hot! sorry bout your luck bro. sounds to me like your bike is ceized up. might have gotten too hot after traffic on the way to work and locked up when you shut it off. hope thats not the case. good luck mang.

I've always been told not to turn off a hot engine.

Wish Texas would allow for lane splitting. Man, I hate going 10mph thru an intersection.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: maxxheadroom

So I am on my way to work (Just under 100 mile ride) when traffic comes to a complete stop. No big deal right? WRONG about 3 minutes into the traffic stop which mind you is in construction with no shoulders at all my cooling fan stops working. I can't go anywhere, traffic is moving just enough up hill that I can't shut my bike off. I am now frantically looking for an exit, but not in time before my bike gets way hot. I had just got my needle into the red when an off ramp comes, I pull off shut her down and let it cool off. By the time the bike is cooled off I am late for work, but no more traffic. So I am on my way bike is doing fine, but when I get closer to work I smell gas. I just assumed it was from the POS in front of me. Later that night I go out to grab some food only to find a big huge puddle of gas under my bike. So I shut the fuel off and have to go back into work. When I come back out the puddle is gone so I figure the fuel line must have cracked from the heat. I turn the fuel on, no leak nothing. Then I try starting my bike, the bike is not in gear (confirmed by the indicator light) I hit the start button and the bike jumps forward. So I make sure the bike is not in gear which it is not. I also pull the clutch in. Hit the switch and all I get is a click of the starter and a dimming of the lights. Oh yeah and it started leaking fuel again. So now I am waiting after a 12 hour crappy grave yard shift for my wife to drive 2 hours to come and get me and my bike. Anybody have any thoughts? I am really seriously upset and bummed out, somebody give me a little bit of light here to make me feel better about this situation. [sm=boohoo.gif]
Guess that will teach you to ride a BMW, lol!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: maxxheadroom

So I am on my way to work (Just under 100 mile ride)
You da man, that's a serious commute, especially on a bike!!! You're making ThirdGenLx proud!

Good luck with the repairs -- and if it's cooked just remember a little O.T. can get you onto a shiny new RR!

Old 08-04-2007, 07:11 PM

The bike was in fact not in gear when I tried to start her up. I got something messed up in the transmission. She won't roll in neutral, however when I roll is forward and dump the clutch is appears the engine still rolls over. So looks like it is pull the engine time. The fuel leak was a cracked line, no idea about the fan, and battery is new, shows 12.2 volts. Anybody have a good recommendation for a manual for a 93 900rr?
I ended up getting home ar 2PM yesterday, awake for 24 hours after a long shift. I am a lucky man however, I have an awesome wife who was happy to see me when she arrived. Not a single complaint just a smile on her face and a hug and kiss waiting for me. The first words out of her mouth were "don't worry, I know you can fix it" I lucked out big time when I found her!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Retired Moderator

That's great Max. If nothing else, as riders, we need supportive partners at home. Sounds like you have a good one!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

I lucked out big time when I found her!!!
Don't forget the f**king flowers. Trust me on this one.

Quick Reply: Horrible day with an even worse end, help me please!