Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Home Theater Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Theater Subwoofer

Alright here's my situation, I have an extra 200watt and and 10in sub in box laying around. I want to somehow wire it so that i can use it for my home theater system. Anyone know how to wirer something like this up so that i can plug it into the wall for power and work off the reciever?

Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Default RE: Home Theater Subwoofer

You'll have to get a DC to AC converter. IMO, just buy a new sub. It'll save you a lot of hassle and time. I recommend Polk. I have a 8" powered Polk sub that rocks the house, and the room is big (24'x14').

Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 AM

i am guessing it goins in a car right??? well if u know how to put it in a car u should be able to put it in you home.

easy cheap way: just get a ac adapter(the ) OUTPUT: 12V and as high as amps as u cand find and wire it in to power. make sure u find out the polarity first.

like this.

Bester way is to buy a 12V power supply for it here is one
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-AMP-POWER-SUP...QQcmdZViewItem
look around for one.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 AM

well my brother had a site(i have to ask him what it was again). they sold powered sub amplifiers...good quality and price. i'll try to get back to you with the linky.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think you are really supposed to do that. home speaker and car speakers are different.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:37 PM

You can use a car sub for your home theater. The speakers are basically the same, except car subs are built to handle WAY more power. The problem with using a car sub in a home theater is getting the power ratings of the amp and sub to match up properly. If they don't, you risk ruining the amp and/or sub. The other problem is that your other speakers are probably going to be comparatively underpowered, which can cause a gross imbalance in sound.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Retired Moderator

To support what Tennessee just said, I had a set of speakers in my car that sounded great for a few weeks, then they sounded blown out after that. I went to a car stereo place and he said the worst thing you can do to a speaker is under power it. Many people, like me, put in good speakers but run the stock stereo and it blows out the speakers...that is why you need an amp for a good car stereo. I guess the point I am making, is you will need enough power for that sub. It could be tricky. I would just buy a hometheater sub to be certain.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

first off all home speakers are 8 ohms and car's are 4 if not 2 or 1.. depending on quality and brand.. just buy a home stereo subwoofer.....

Old 01-19-2007, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bobjoezx

first off all home speakers are 8 ohms and car's are 4 if not 2 or 1.. depending on quality and brand.. just buy a home stereo subwoofer.....
this is more or less what i meant, the impedence is different. i know its possible to get them to work but the conditions are not correct and it just isnt a good idea for several reasons. my brother rode around with a KLH 12" speaker in his trunk, it also had a tweeter and mid.

heres something for you guys, did you know that every speaker is a microphone and every microphone is a speaker.....only reversed? if you guys have equipment where you can plug a mic in a headset jack and vice-versa try it, sound will come out of the mic and you can use the speaker as a mic! its not necessarily good for the equipment or will you get the best results, but it will work.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:19 PM

dont waste your money on a home sub..make your own..when i get you that website..you will see its much cheaper and better. my brother just did this setup with a 10" infinity perfect..sounds awesome. and just so you dont think im some hack or something..i have $1600 jbl surround sound setup in my house and a jl13w7 and jl 1000.1 amp in my car...i knew what good quality is.

Quick Reply: Home Theater Subwoofer