Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Home Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home Audio

Thanks Foxy, now I know who to ask every **** ant pain in the *** audio/video question to...

Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes voodoo, the first number is the number of speakers, and the 2nd is the number of subs. most receivers are 7.1 capable now. i have been running dolby digital 5.....err, well not 5.1 b/c i have no sub, but i am running 2-12" KLH as fronts, a center, and 2-8" KLH as rears....so no sub is really needed. i call it 5.1, but its really 5.0. i love playing halo on it, loud as hell, and i can tell when agrenade bounces behind me.

i just had to get me a enw sony receiver after about 8 years with my old one, the sound environments went and blew some of the channels with it.

Klipsche are nice speakers, are they still the only ones that are THX certified?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blue fox, you work at Best Buy?
RRasco, nah they are just the most affordable.
Totally agree, Bose is crap, hands down. The most respected name in sound? More like the Most advertised name in sound.
Martin Logan's Rock but need a ton of room. The electrostatic design means they need to be placed a few feet away from any walls to limit reflections and phase cancelations.(I.e. they won't sound right). A good set of Bowers and Wilkins Nautilus 800d's would be perfect but they are EXPENSIVE!!(I want I want!!)
The Klipsch system seems about perfect for a bedroom or computer system though.
A set of NHT SB1 would also fit the bill nicely, either way go with your ear not what a salesman tells you. If you hate the way it sounds get the one you like, justdon't get the one you hate, because it will only get worse as you use it.
I personally love NHT either the super series or the evolution series. I've got a SC1 and 3 pairs of SB3, a yamaha 760 and an NHT X1 preamp and A1 amp @ 4 ohms for my twin 15"s running 60hz and down @ 12 db/oct and a nht powered 8 for the musical 60-120hz range, with12 db/oct on 60 and 24 db/oct at 120hz. So I guess 7.3 hmmmm. either way with the hdtv and hddvd player movies ROCK!, as do my ps2 and my new Wii.
And then a OnkyoHTIB (home theater in a box)on my computer gaming rig.
Yup I'm a super geek. And can provide pictures if you don't believe me.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Retired Moderator

As far as live sound reproduction, JBL makes one of the best speakers in the world, do they make a home audio system? I would think it would be top notch if they did.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Banned

hmm well thanks for the responses...... but i dont think bose is crap, very overpriced and overhyped but they are alright speakers.. they home systems are way overpriced for sure for the quality... yes i have a sony 7.1 i got a really good deal on from ebay a few months ago.. i have a polk audio center channel.. i was looking to upgrade my side and rear surrounds... but the more i thnk of it unless i can find a really good deal i will just leave it for another year till my 55' phillips warrenty runs out and i will just go and buy a whole new set up, tv, speakers, everything, anyone got anything good used.....

Old 06-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

As far as live sound reproduction, JBL makes one of the best speakers in the world, do they make a home audio system? I would think it would be top notch if they did.
We have JBL's at my work, and I'm not a big fan. They're not bad, but when you hear the same SACD (super-audio-compact-disc) being played from one to the other, the Klipsch just wipes it clean with voice-reproduction and overall "fullness" of sound.

And James.........I challenge you to find that same Klipsch system cheaper somewhere else (OTHER than the internet).

And yes, anyone is welcome to ask me questions about Home Theater. Just PLEASE don't ask me about a DLP Plasma. (THEY DON'T EXIST!......and I have customers telling me that Wal-Mart carries them. [:@]) I think some people are just naturally retarded.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

The only people praising Bose are the ones who have been foiled into purchasing one of their setups. I guess if I dropped $1K or more into a substandard home theater I'd try to make myself not look like an *** too.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 AM

+1 on Bose being over-rated. I personally hate small satelite speakers in front. I guess I am from the old school when I prefer my cerwin-vega LS-10's that go beside the big screen. Yes they take up an enormous amount of room, but the bass reflex is incredible, and sounds awesome when watching monday night football. Yes the probably lack in the mid and upper ranges, but thats what my center and rears take care of.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:45 PM

i have a boston acoustic setup and am very happy with it. what do you home theater guys think of Boston?

Old 06-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: telgren

+1 on Bose being over-rated. I personally hate small satelite speakers in front. I guess I am from the old school when I prefer my cerwin-vega LS-10's that go beside the big screen. Yes they take up an enormous amount of room, but the bass reflex is incredible, and sounds awesome when watching monday night football. Yes the probably lack in the mid and upper ranges, but thats what my center and rears take care of.
haha yes same here... i have cerwin vega floor standing 3 way - 12's that i had for a few years now right next to my phillips 55', then a center and 4 satilitte speakers for side and rear surround... maybe i will try the klipsch...

Quick Reply: Home Audio