Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

hollywood bank of america shootout

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hollywood bank of america shootout

i know this is old, and been on tv a million times. but national geographic just did a thing about it in great detail. how insane was that shootout?!? the two men had previously robbed 3 other banks and gotten away w/ it! they spent time sewing their own kevlar/aramid clothes together from neck to toe and placed steel infront of vidal organs! one of the men had ordered steel armour piercing bullets from overseas in large quantity. they discussed how the one man got into the car and yelled/motioned for his partner to do the same and he was just greedy since he had the larger weapon. he decided to stay and shoot it out w/ the cops for a bit since he was heavily armed and had his body covered in armour. they showed a helicopter viewof actual footage from the day, and you can see the cops laying beside their cars w/ pools of blood around them.

ok, back to watching it. this has been on tv many times but this one on national geographic is insane!

Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Default RE: hollywood bank of america shootout

wow, and the one man split from the white getaway car and his ak47 got jammed when a emty casing got loged. all he had to do was flick it w/ his thumb, but he was shot in the thumb of his hand and couldnt. so he pulled a barretta and began shooting w/ that. he dropped it and went to pick it up and realized he had no way out. they showed the actual footage of him putting the gun to his chin and pulling the trigger.

wow!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was an amazing display of how the police force wasn't ready to deal with an overwhelming show of force. From what I understand, they had to "raid" firearms dealers to be able to fight back. That is a moment that will live in infamy! Very sad, but also very interesting...

Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 PM

The second guy got shot the the eye and in slow motion you an actually see his head expand under his mask. No cops died that day either. It was a hectic scene. They show a lot of real footage in some police academies.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: jaynd

i know this is old, and been on tv a million times. but national geographic just did a thing about it in great detail. how insane was that shootout?!?
ok, back to watching it. this has been on tv many times but this one on national geographic is insane!
Jaynd, sounds like you'll like the movie "44 Minutes." (MichaelMadsen, Ron LivingstonofOffice Space, Mario Van Peebles) Saw it, not too bad.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:17 PM

wildcat...i'll have to check that out.

the robbers even took some pills before entering the bank that would keep them calm. i wonder if they would have gotten away had they not been so...idk, greedy i guess you'd say.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Mad

.... and the family of one of those robbers sued the LAPD. If I remember correctly they sued saying his civil rights were voilated because he was still alive but the ambulance couldn't get to him because the area was still considered hot as well as him still being considered dangerous. He bled to death there.

Crazy day... Those cops were heroes.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Mad

.... and the family of one of those robbers sued the LAPD. If I remember correctly they sued saying his civil rights were voilated because he was still alive but the ambulance couldn't get to him because the area was still considered hot as well as him still being considered dangerous. He bled to death there.

Crazy day... Those cops were heroes.
you are correct. the squad car got next to the truck and they exchanged fire for a while. finally as a swat member was reloading he noticed underneath the car that the robbers lower legs were completely exposed. so he layed down and opened fire on his legs. he was hit over 50+ times and was still alive. they went around the vehical and he was still concious. he repeatedly asked them to kill him. he layed there for 70mins, and as you said, the police considered the area "hot" still. so yeah, the family of that robber sued the LAPD.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:56 PM

Well it was a lesson learned. You'll notice all cops have either an AR-15, or a Ruger mini 14 , next to there shotguns now. Proof that you shouldnt mess with the law.