CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   $hit is my battery shot? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/hit-my-battery-shot-121955/)

__Z__ 03-04-2011 01:07 PM

$hit is my battery shot?

So I did what I swore to myself I wouldnt do yesterday, left the battery charger on my bike on high... and left it on all night shiznit....

woke up this morning thinking my house may blow up bc it smelt like ng...

great... well father in law came over and though it was our garbage can mixed with the smell of motorcycle exhaust fumes...

^^not likely

so i took the garbage can outside to the streeet and kept the garage door open...

after a few min checked the garbage and it smelt like well garbage, but not nearly as bad as the stinch stinking up my house....

turns out it was my battery charger and my battery being conjoined with the charger and being hot was putting off the smell

think my battery is shot?

jp_greenville13 03-04-2011 01:15 PM

Possibly...

Probably...

Maybe not...

Does it work???

__Z__ 03-04-2011 01:21 PM

lol well i waited a few after i got the charger off and it started? idk lol guess I can try it again later...

Joe 96 CBR F3 03-04-2011 01:24 PM

I'd have to think its not as good as it was before... but should still work fine. If it works use it!

amRRussel 03-04-2011 01:44 PM

The smell would be from the battery acid getting too hot. You may have ruined a cell or two(or not, but over night I would say yes you did) sooo, my guess (slightly from experience with a truck I had) is if you charge it to full power it will run everything but will drain and not hold a charge like a new/normal battery; which in turn will make your stator work overtime and could end up burning it up (just like the alternator in a car).

If it was me I would run it like it is just keep a real close eye and if it doesn't hold the charge/recharge on its own replace it.

__Z__ 03-04-2011 01:49 PM

thx for the info boys...

so far im leaning towards switching it out for my old f4i battery....

its midevil but ive never had a issue with it and ill keep the one out of my 929 for doing my led tests lol

Dissevered 03-04-2011 02:00 PM

I just did the same thing, actually it wasn't even on high. I did a low 2 amp charge but forgot the battery over night. Came back the next day, bike started up once but after that the battery is shot. :(

DrAwkwArD 03-04-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered (Post 1021521)
I just did the same thing, actually it wasn't even on high. I did a low 2 amp charge but forgot the battery over night. Came back the next day, bike started up once but after that the battery is shot. :(

2A is about 1.25A higher than it should be charged unfortunately.

One of the best things I'm sure you know to get for your charging system is a trickle charger like the Battery Tender.

__Z__ 03-04-2011 02:05 PM

yea its on me next winters things to get

pittsm 03-04-2011 02:12 PM

amRRussell: Your gonna have to change your signature, because i can't even read the thread if you've posted in it, when i scoll down and get to gina i stop and just stare and any posts below that don't get read. it's becoming a real issue.:icon_wink: