Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

High beams?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my high beams on all the time during the day and at night. Some people, get pissed but others just think i have bright a$$ headlights. (which i do DDM 6ks)

Even with them on if i see a car about to make a turn across my lane making a left or right i give them a flash and they wont turn infront of me. Which I have noticed a greater increase in people NOT pulling out infront of me so i say it works.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good points and feedback here, guess I'll be riding with them on during the day from now on!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lows during the day. That way I can flash the highbeams for attention. People are more likely to notice a light coming on than turning off. So the initial increase grabs the attention quicker.

If you can't see my bike at night, I'm a dead man and the highbeam won't do chit
Name:  2010-05-23205034.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  54.7 KB

Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Inconsederate people here. I hate people who ride or drive with their high beams and dont have the common courtesy to turn them off. Its understandable if your out at night by yourself with no incoming traffic but come on now....... You scream "share the road with us bikers" but you dont even have the same common courtesy.....

justasquid maybe we should take the squid part from your name and put it on some of these inconsederate (ok i wont use a bad name) people for their lack of courtersies.

CBRFanatic seriously? If you have HIDs in the low beams why do you need highs?

For all others get a set of low beam HIDs and share the damn road with cars/trucks.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

I ride with my high beams on during the day and only at night if there's no other traffic on the road. If someone approaches me at night with their high beams on I'll flash them once. If they don't dim them they get the same blinding high beam light from my end as I have to look at. Between the two of us with our high beams on it might cause a head-on crash but if I'm in my car at least I have airbags.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:05 PM

I am INCONSIDERATE . Make sure to hate me. lol

Old 11-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator - Retired

what cracks me up is, people take off their running lights and reflectors, yet state they run their high beams at night so cars can see them.. if that was a real concern, the reflectors and blinkers would stay on. So in reality, other drivers have to suffer for the riders own selfish want of a cleaner looking bike. Nothing wrong with a clean looking bike, just don't be riding around with your high beams on at night because of it.

In short...IMHO... anyone who rides with brights on all the time is an inconsiderate tool.
100%, man..... exactly what I was thinking.
If everyone's so concerned about being seen, you would think that they would not only keep the reflectors/larger blinkers, etc..... but also be wearing hi viz reflective suits all the time.
But they don't, they just blind oncoming traffic with high beams?

On a side note, squid.... you mentioned the silverstars. I've been using the philips xtreme power +80 and I like them better. You should try them if you ever need a halogen. Less glare in rain (not as white), they seem to last longer (still on the original set) and they're brighter than any halogen I've used in a 55w. Night and day difference from the stock bulbs. They're also about $15 cheaper per set than the silvers. You have to order them from overseas, but I got mine in like 9 days from the UK. Great bulbs.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM

you mentioned the silverstars. I've been using the philips xtreme power +80 and I like them better. You should try them if you ever need a halogen.
thanks. I'll keep them in mind for my cars as I have HID projectors in my bike. I was only mentioning the silverstars as they are easy to find and are quite a bit brighter than stock bulbs, especially if the stock ones are old. The one thing I didn't like about silverstars in my auto was the rate at which they burned out. But I ran them in my bikes for 4 years without any issues.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 PM

Personally I ride with both on 50% of the time. At night, people don't usually flash me because they are used to the new cars with projector headlights. Besides, if one driver flashes me I'm not worried. It's more or less a personal decision. I, also have had people tell me I have a light out, but it's interesting telling them it's supposed to be like that. One thing I've noticed some of you guys have said is that you flash people. With my HIDs, unless the bright beam is charged up, then only can I perform a proper flash; otherwise it looks like the light is dead haha.

Name:  b9f84be9.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  24.0 KB

Last edited by The__Rider; 11-16-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added image.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 AM

At night, people don't usually flash me because they are used to the new cars with projector headlights.
Usually, a proper HID projector has such a sharp cutoff, the low beams are dimmer to oncoming cars than a standard halogen headlights low beams. Its when people drop in HID bulbs in headlights designed for halogens that it gets really bright for oncoming cars.

I gotta ask though. Do you guys drive your cars and leave your highbeams on night too?

Quick Reply: High beams?