CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Hi guys, been bloody ages :) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/hi-guys-been-bloody-ages-153177/)

Kiwi born 01-27-2015 04:16 AM

Hi guys, been bloody ages :)

4 Attachment(s)
Well guys and gals.. It's been a long and bloody battle but I've finally got the bike back up and running!

Let me apologise before hand for my some what long time between posts. Been busy as on the farm and weeping over the hot sunny days and the parked up bike.

I will recount my story tho some already know the beginning.

Around September last year a mate and I "tested" our bikes. While I was impressed I hit the needle with ease the bike was not!

The ride home was a loose ride but due to ice grit in the ranges I thought this was the cause, (September is end of winter here) but alas it was not. I can now confirm it was the internal seal in the water-pump thus causing the engine oil to leak into the cooling system which then came out the overflow of the reservoir, and all over my rear tyre.
See my other posts for pics of the hunky brown sludge.

So I place a post on this wondrous and bike savingly awesome site asking for advice and I sure got it... Thanks guys.

Following that advice I replaced the oil cooler seals, had the rad cap pressure tested and began a hunt for a water pump...

HURT... 4 months later I finally got one from GP auto dismantles in Katikati NZ. A new one was just over $450.00 and I couldn't guarantee it was even the issue so opted to hunt for a cheaper second hand one. As it was the new one was up to 8 weeks delivery so thought no worries. Well I couldn't be more wrong. F2 parts in NZ are getting hard to find I can testify your honours.

I was over the moon when last week I found the elusive water pump. I had it on the door the next day and in the bike that evening and was test riding it at dusk.

How did the test run go? Drifty, side ways, ass twitching cheek clenching thrills due to the oil soaked back tyre. Was safe enough if not pushed to hard so to be to concerned folks :)

Noticed coolant on the road in the photo below of our dusk test ride so pulled apart and rad was out and at the rad repair shop by 8.15 am the next morning. I had it wielded and in my hands by 4pm and back in the bike after dinner.

Off for another test ride....
Coolant not leaking.. Check
Oil not seeping into reservoir. Check
Oil in motor clean... Check.

So happy I could have cried....but I didn't!!

So today off to Honda for a new rear tyre as the old one had maybe 1-2mm at best. Had a quick ride after work and wow I remember now why I loved this bike so much.

Anyway she's all going and I still have a few months of summer left.
Here's a few pics of my test rides.

I'll post more pics later of the bike but am shattered and need to chase some sleep.. All this typing :)

So great to be back guys and gals
KB

All cleaned serviced and waiting for the water pump

Attachment 27998

First test run at dusk.. Mates jelly mould too

Attachment 27999

Second test run, fixed rad and old tyre

Attachment 28000

Today with new tyre

Attachment 28001

kiwi TK 01-27-2015 05:16 AM

"Jelly mould" was the original Ford Sierra's.

I think you should give more respect to your mates, nearly 30 year old bike.

hawkwind 01-27-2015 05:37 AM

Nice pictures and great that you're back on the road :D

Conrice 01-27-2015 06:21 AM

Welcome back, glad you got it sorted

Kiwi born 01-27-2015 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK (Post 1285383)

"Jelly mould" was the original Ford Sierra's.

I think you should give more respect to your mates, nearly 30 year old bike.

Sorry my fellow kiwi lander please take no offence it's just a common term for the kit on the that bike... Certainly the not a reference to a ford. Can't stand fords personally :)

Here's a quote from our magic site

"And so it was born, the “jelly mould” CBR600 of 1987, not everyone was a fan of the styling but I just simply loved that full enclosure bodywork back then."

From this thread.
CBR600F1 Super Review (The bike that started it all)
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-...ted-all-96749/

So TK how's you hurricane been treating you this summer?
Hope work has allowed you some time off to enjoy the stunning South Island.

Btw my mate and I will have our bikes down your way in November so will be hitting you up for some recommended roads to get the most out of our trip down to mordor.

Cheers TK

Mattson 01-28-2015 02:42 AM

Eyyy wondered what rock have you crawled under, not a whole lotta people round here nowadays anyway. Know exactly the feeling bout weeping over an alligator lurching in the garage, as a plus we have here this cold white stuff up to my nuts so the best I can do is hop a leg over the bikes and blow raspberries in the shed anyway... the exhibition I was meaning to try to get my bike on display is coming this weekend, so bummed not even gonna go... oh well next time then...

Keep em wheels a rolling while we wait for our turn up here!

Kiwi born 01-28-2015 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson (Post 1285417)
best I can do is hop a leg over the bikes and blow raspberries in the shed

Hiya Matty,
Man you put it so well haha. So your not mad enough to put snow spikes on that kick*** bike to go hit the Main Street bouncing the needle off the pin :)

Met an old school mate the other day, turns out he's a member of the central north island triumph club. He was the guy who put me onto the supplier whom I got my water pump from. On the 7th of February we are off on a run to a beach house with about 20plus other bikes so should have many great pics to post of trumpies, vintage to modern and custom.

I'm owed 7weeks annual leave so I've just booked 2 weeks worth and am planning on putting some healthy miles on the clock while I can.. Typical tho, the weather is set for rain and the od thunder storm for the next 5-7 days. Sure hope the weather dude on tv is wrong.. He normally is :/

I'm looking forward to a few challenges too but if it's been quiet... Well.
Better run now,
Cheers for the WB man
I'm off to hit the fart sack.

Kiwi born 01-28-2015 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1285386)
Welcome back, glad you got it sorted

Cheers man, I'm glad too :)