Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help rationalizing a new bike to a woman

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help rationalizing a new bike to a woman

Depends on what bike your looking at and what your going to do with it, and what you can afford. If you got the money and she doesn't want you to have one cause SHE doesn't want it, thats one thing, then its another if your trying to justify a couple hundred bucks a month for payment of a toy. If its your daily driver, saves you money in gas and gets you to work faster, its a good thing.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the end which one is more important to you, the girl or the bike?

Once you make the choice the rest is easy.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:22 PM

You have to get her involved with it, take her for rides. hang out with your biker buddys with her. Include her in the ride, so that she feels like it's her motorcycle too.
Cause logic doesn't work with the ladies, you have to trick them lol

Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 PM

Selfish using the HOV lane? The lane the helps keep traffic going.

Tell her shopping for 5 hours is selfish to Indonesian kids that have never seen a mall. Ya, makes no sense. I know.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way that your going to be able to rationalize getting a bike to your wife. You can point out the positives (including the generous insurance payout that she would get if you get wiped out). There is only two ways to go about this (& I have done both) 1/. Just go out & get it & learn to live with the bitching & never winning an argument again (because the bike issue will be raised every time) 2/. Mope around the house like you have just lost your best friend, sigh constantly, mood swings, don't appear to enjoy any meals & no sex. When your wife asks you whats wrong (& she will) just sigh, shrug your shoulders & say 'Nothing the matter', sigh. Eventually she will just tell you to go out & get the damn thing. However same rule applies to number 1, you will never win an argument again, but hey, who cares, you have a new bike!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM

Get it!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Is she your wife or a girlfriend? I might have missed the wife part. If you can afford it, who cares. I couldn't see getting upset about anything my spouse bought so long as we could afford it, and she feels the same way. You have a bike now right? So your just wanting a nice new shiny one?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 PM

I like the replies! I'm going to make sure she reads this lol! I think it would help her rationalize!

1. Yes she is my wife...
2. As to holding out on her...I think I mentioned I was married...if not, I'M MARRIED...what is "nookie" again? LOL
3. We have two young children (which is more of the reason why she says no to a new bike as I wouldn't know where to fit 2 car seats!)
4. Once I get the spot I can totally afford it. Actually I'd probably have it paid-off by summer in full. (I'm a stay-at-home dad so yes I'm unemployed but we don't have too many bills as it is and we could
afford it regardless of me getting the job.)
5. I had a 96 900rr for 2 years and sold it in fall of 2006 (man I miss those days ) I'd take that bike back instead of a new one.
6. Yes the bike would be used primarily for transportation to/fro work.
7. She would have no problems with the bike but doesn't like the idea of me getting a brand new bike. I don't want a bike unless it's new, but if it's used vs. no bike at all I'll take the bike (beggers cant be choosers.)
8. She didn't mind riding on the 900 before but doubt she would here in TX as I said the drivers are horrible in the DFW area.

The selfish part I think is geared more towards me always getting what I want (not always true) and the fact that the bike can't be used in rain (it can but wouldn't be) and you can get good gas mileage with a yaris. I mean no disrespect to the yaris as I actually like the car especially the 40+mpg we were getting driving my uncle's while on vacation. I'd love the car if I had something that is in my garage I'd be proud of (say a bike/mustang/whatever else.) To me though I think spending less than $10k on a bike would make me happier than spending $10k on a car I'd hate only to buy something else as well later. I'd rather get the bike, get it paid off and buy whatever car I want using the bike as a commuter.

I'll just have to be persistent while not being a complete pest!

I guess a 07/08 600 or 06-newer 1krr wouldn't be all that bad. I just really want a new bike.

With my wife's present job our housing including utilities are paid for, my income would purely be used to pay off any debt we have (not much) and save for a home of our own. To me the bike is a great investment. I'll just have to talk her into a 650r or 250 or something! (I try every time cycleworld arrives in the mail!)

Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Just tell her you'll get a 9k bike and a 1k pos beater honda. problem solved!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 PM

get a vfr 800 if ur having to ride that long.

Quick Reply: Help rationalizing a new bike to a woman