Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

help! new 2 this, need sum advice plz x

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! new 2 this, need sum advice plz x

hi there, i hav my test in june, im lookin 4 a cbr 600 because iv been obsessed with them since i was a little girl. id appreciate any advice, be it critical or supportive, plz read on. im a 26 yr old geordie lass, finally finding myself in a possition where i can follow my dreams. i have all the enthusiasm,but lack of experience so would really appreciate any comments from sum1 who knows what theyre talkin about! is a cbr 600 the way to go 4 a 1st bike? im in england and doing mylessons and test on a 500, so the purchase i make is out of a 400 or 600. any advice is appreciated!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought in England you had to (by law) ride a 250cc for a while before even considering thinking about getting on a 600cc.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM

I would have to say that Hangfire is about 90% correct. The 600s now-a-days are little Rockets! But being an enthusiast as you are, you probably know quite a bit about them already and understand they require much respect and ability to control the power. I think, Personally, you could operate ANYTHING with proper clutch and throttle control, these bikes are not top fuel drag bikes, they are actually pretty smooth machines. I think you have to ask yourself,...How are you doing on the bike you are learning on? Are you smooth? Do you operate the clutch and throttle well? Do you understand how to brake smoothly and quickly if needed? And lets not forget shifting. Shifting is also important. Everything is important on a bike especially if your getting on a newer 600! Also being able to touch the ground comfortably. But something tells me you know all this already since it has been a Dream of yours. Do the research if you have not already.

As Hangfire recommended, a smaller bike would usually be preffered maybe for the first riding season. But I think it all rest on your ability. If you have ANY doubts at all, go smaller. But confidence in your ability can go a long way. And whatever you decide to do, just make sure you invest in all the protective gear. Gloves, jacket, helmet, etc.
Maybe you should get a hold of Juliet in this Forum. She just bought herself a brand new 600RR. She'll give you some good advice!
Good Luck with your test and choice!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Wink

hey, thanx 4 the sound advice. i do have every faith in myself, i ride like a natural acording to my instructor, and iv had my boots helmet, gloves n leathers 4a while now. the cbr im lukin at is 2001model and its sweeet! thanx agen i appreciate the replies

Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 AM

That a Girl, good for you. Some People have it, and some don't obviously. I guess my best advice would be to really learn how to use the brakes when you do get your bike and after putting on some miles get some confidence in leaning. The biggest problems, I think, with inexperienced riders is that they under-estimate how far they can lean the bike over and freeze going into some tight corners, be it slow or fast. I've done it myself many times when I had too much crap on my mind and shouldn't have been out riding cause you do need to be focused and aware of everything. But again, I'm not trying to discredit Hangfire, for most People...Smaller IS Smarter.

Just be careful, be smooth, be focused and you'll be fine!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Well, some, not all, do have the ability to handle almost anything with common sense. She says shes been "Obsessed" with bikes, she wants to "Follow her dreams", sounds to me she knows a little bit ABOUT bikes and then, her "Instructor is telling her "She's a natural". A lack of experience doesn't meen she has the inability. I don't know why you think a 600 is unsafe for her? Yes the power is probably double that of a 500, but she doesn't need to use it all if she has GOOD throttle control which is why I said what I said, am I wrong?
I don't think what I said was "Non-sense" if she has all the gear including Leathers and has Faith in her ability. I mean **** she will get hurt just as quick on a 250 as she will a 600. I don't want to find out she just got out of the Hospital or worse, which is also why I suggested she get in touch with Juliet who just bought a new 600. That way Jules can tell her if it's too much bike for her or not ya know? I also suggested that if she has any doubt to just go smaller as YOU suggested.
But look, she's got 2 opinions so far, it's up to her to realize her own ability after learning on the 500 with her instructor. But your right, I don't know her, and I honestly hope she uses her head when making her decision. But I'm not going to automatically assume she can't handle a 600 when in my prior experience in showing both of my Sisters how to ride, my 6 year old Nephew how to ride (on a 2005 KX85), and a 2 and a half year old boy how to ride a pedal bike with NO training wheels, I don't believe I gave terrible advice. At least I really hope I didn't cause yeah...I would feel like a Piece O Sh-t!!!
I'll have to keep in touch with her to see how she made out! And if God forbid anything bad happen, I'll be the first to cross the pond to visit with Flowers for Her and a Bat for MY head!

I'm sure she, AS DO I, appreciate your concern, don't think I'm not though.

Much Respect Bro

Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Yeah, you might be right...But not according to her!

Hey, just curious, what would you tell her if all that was available were the 600s??? Would you tell her to forget motorcycling all together?

Quick Reply: help! new 2 this, need sum advice plz x