Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help me computer network people!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me computer network people!

The problem I have is with AIM. I have a cable modem and router. I am tring to use the direct connect option with my girlfriend through AIM so I can send pictures and use a web cam. It will not work because of my firewall in my router. I have determined that is the problem because when I turn it off it works. I have went into the router setup and tried to use port forwarding to open a port for AIM. I found a few websites that told me what ports to use for AIM and how to do this. Hours later it still doesn't work. I could of swore a couple months ago I was using AIM with no problem?? Any ideas

Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Default RE: Help me computer network people!

see if your router has an option for a DMZ. if so, add your workstations internal IP to the DMZ list.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM

Yes it does, what will that do. Is it safe?

Old 09-19-2006, 08:28 PM

My opionion is not to use any AOL programs. The are resorce hogs. With that said...... when you say you shut it off it works. What do you mean. One thing to try is running the network cable strait from the modem to the pc. If that works then you know it's a problem with the router. Also depending on what brand of router you are using you should be able to go to there website and go through there support pages to find something. I don't use aim so i can't help a hole bunch. Also check to see if it's allowed in windows firewall. Or if you have norton or some other 3rd party firewall check them as well.

You can also have you girl try and check to see if she can connect that way to someone else. It could be on her end. Also you do the same.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:32 PM

Well the DMZ thing didnt work. I know its the firewall in my router because I go into the router options and turn the firewall off and then it works. But I dont want everything open....

Old 09-19-2006, 09:01 PM

ok good. what brand of router is it.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 PM

Netgear WGR614v6 I downloaded a manual but i cant get anything to work

Old 09-19-2006, 09:15 PM

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...M_Video_IM.htm

this is one link i found you can try to follow it instructions see if it works and

this page seems to be pretty helpful

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-193186.html

or try d/l msn and using there video chat

Old 09-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use trillian for aim. it allows you to connect to ICQ, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, and i think others. me and my brother can direct connect at work, and we are running ISA, and i dont believe we opened anything up, i dont remember, of course we are on the same network too. what ports did you open for AIM? i think it uses like 80 or something. i will have to check when i go to work tomorrow, i dont use any IM at home.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 PM

got this off a forum don't know if it will help. Sorry it you cann't get it to work.

"I had been having the same dumb problems with iChat's video/audio conferencing and the Netgear router, i.e. getting the error msg that 'I did not respond'.. The troubleshooting pages on the web about Port forwarding didn't work for me, but now I've just fiddled with some settings and it works!

Mine's a newly-bought Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router. I'm using 10.4.5 on an old iBook G3.

What I did was to go to set up Port Forwarding for iChat (Add Custom Service) for ports 1024 to 65534. The server IP add is 192.168.1.2 for my computer.

I also added the pre-configured AIM settings. AIM's on the pull-down list of apps: its settings are basically to forward port 5190 to uh, 5190.

So, after just doing this, my iChat video conferencing worked flawlessly! I didn't change anything else, no firewall settings nor changing of iChat prefs.

Hope this works for some of you at least! I had half a mind to go out and buy a new router when it wasn't working!"

sorry dude got to go woman and dog are both waiting to be played with

good luck.

p.s. nice name

Quick Reply: Help me computer network people!