Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help? Headphones for under helmet?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by singram
Ha, funny when I saw your username I thought you were the BF.
Haha no not the bf. but I should tell my gf to start using a similar username to hers since I use mine EVERYWHERE lol

Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 PM

Get scala or a Sena smh-10 headset for his helemt he will be happier

Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 AM

I've used alot of cheap to middle-of-the road quality buds under my helmet over the years including Skull Candys. Believe it or not taking fitment, comfort and durability into account, my all time favorites would be the stock ones that came with my iphone. The low profile shaped buds stay in place when slipping on a helmet, are still very comfortable after hours of use, and dont feel like your getting stabbed with a screwdriver in the ears when you take your helmet off. Plus the glove-friendly volume control in the cord is a nice touch.

SCs I had, quite the opposite. Never wanted to stay in place when putting on the helmet so one always just "floated" somewhere around my ear the whole ride, and taking of the helmet was usually like pulling off a bandaid. Not to mention the rubber dealios that go into your ear kept popping off whenever I took off my helmet. I eventually went through all the spares within a couple months and now the buds are bouncing around somewhere in my tankbag sans the rubber dealios.

That said, IMO(**flamesuite on**)I'd avoid Skull Candys, or the likes, and shoot for something middle quality with the same flat profile as the iphone buds. I know its a gift, but stay away from high quality. While he's concentrating on riding and whats going on around him, tunes are little more than background noise. High quality is a flatout waste. Not to mention the abuse they'll take.
I use the iphone headphones too. I have a droid and they still work for my phone. I can play and stop the music using the buttons on the mic and I've even used the mic to answer phone calls, I kinda see that as a down fall though because I dont like to talk on the phone when Im on my bike, gives me a reason to not answer the phone and just escape from the world, just me and my bike

Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM

I kinda see that as a down fall though because I dont like to talk on the phone when Im on my bike, gives me a reason to not answer the phone and just escape from the world, just me and my bike
Yeah, I almost brought that up in my original post. OP, if you're still here, think long and hard before going the Scala/Mic route. If my wife bought me one for Christmas, I'd politely ask her to return it for the reason mentioned above. No offence, but except for maybe the Goldwing crowd, I couldn't imagine a rider that would actually choose to talk on the phone or to his/her passenger while riding.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 AM

I couldn't imagine a rider that would actually choose to talk on the phone or to his/her passenger while riding.
I talk to my passengers. The intercom isn't on my bike at the minute because I removed it from one and haven't got around to refitting it yet. Last week I took my stepdaughter for her first ride and I really missed being able to talk to her without having to shout or pull over. Luckily it was just a 20 minute ride to see if she likes it. There'll be a headset in her helmet before her next ride.
The phone is useful for my husband to call and see how far from home or how near to my destination I am. Handy when I'm a thousand miles away.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 PM

You can set the I phone to do not disturb but still call out if wanted. I'm telling you the Scala is the best way to go.\

I tried different ear buds over the last years and just found the Scala to be easier, no cords messing with me taking off the helmet.