CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Help? Headphones for under helmet? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/help-headphones-under-helmet-150183/)

juicebox409 12-01-2013 11:17 AM

Help? Headphones for under helmet?

First off, I apologize if there is a better place to post this. I literally created an account three minutes ago to post this question. Back seat rider for now, soon to be an actual owner/rider.

I'm looking for a pair of bluetooth earbuds for my boyfriend for Christmas. He frequently goes on long rides to work and to meet up out of town with other riders. He's been looking for a pair of buds that will sit flat so he can wear them in his helmet for music and even better if they have a mic.

He's bought a pair here and there and none of them have worked out. Any help with suggestions or recommendations is greatly appreciated!

boredandstroked 12-01-2013 11:20 PM

I don't know about anything bluetooth, but skull candy's work awesome with my ipod.

Nicholas Scalisi 12-02-2013 05:49 PM

I have the Scala Rider bluetooth headset. It works great. I can listen to my music and talk on with my I phone via bluetooth.

The most powerful motorcycle Bluetooth scala rider yet

singram 12-02-2013 07:16 PM

I've used alot of cheap to middle-of-the road quality buds under my helmet over the years including Skull Candys. Believe it or not taking fitment, comfort and durability into account, my all time favorites would be the stock ones that came with my iphone. The low profile shaped buds stay in place when slipping on a helmet, are still very comfortable after hours of use, and dont feel like your getting stabbed with a screwdriver in the ears when you take your helmet off. Plus the glove-friendly volume control in the cord is a nice touch.

SCs I had, quite the opposite. Never wanted to stay in place when putting on the helmet so one always just "floated" somewhere around my ear the whole ride, and taking of the helmet was usually like pulling off a bandaid. Not to mention the rubber dealios that go into your ear kept popping off whenever I took off my helmet. I eventually went through all the spares within a couple months and now the buds are bouncing around somewhere in my tankbag sans the rubber dealios.

That said, IMO(**flamesuite on**)I'd avoid Skull Candys, or the likes, and shoot for something middle quality with the same flat profile as the iphone buds. I know its a gift, but stay away from high quality. While he's concentrating on riding and whats going on around him, tunes are little more than background noise. High quality is a flatout waste. Not to mention the abuse they'll take.

CorruptFile 12-02-2013 09:10 PM

+1 singram
Any buds with the rubber things on them that 'suction' in your ears DO NOT work with the helmets. I've heard good things about the scala's, but a basic set of ear buds may be the best bet.

MistahJuice 12-03-2013 11:08 AM

If he wants a mic then the scala or something similar is your best bet. I personally have never had any luck talking to people with the stock iphone buds/mic while riding and I always hated that I had to basically have my music on full blast to hear it while on the highway due to all the wind noise. I prefer the buds with the rubber sound cancelation. Hell I sometimes ride with them in and no music just because it makes for a less annoying commute. Though I will admit putting the helmet on in the morning became more of an art form. But yeah if he wants Bluetooth and a mic scala is a much better option, and it'll be especially nice if he already has a quiet helmet.

singram 12-03-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MistahJuice (Post 1259319)
If he wants a mic then the scala or something similar is your best bet. I personally have never had any luck talking to people with the stock iphone buds/mic while riding and I always hated that I had to basically have my music on full blast to hear it while on the highway due to all the wind noise. I prefer the buds with the rubber sound cancelation. Hell I sometimes ride with them in and no music just because it makes for a less annoying commute. Though I will admit putting the helmet on in the morning became more of an art form. But yeah if he wants Bluetooth and a mic scala is a much better option, and it'll be especially nice if he already has a quiet helmet.

Ha, funny when I saw your username I thought you were the BF.:D

CorruptFile 12-03-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by singram (Post 1259333)
Ha, funny when I saw your username I thought you were the BF.:D

Maybe it is, and he really wants that scala :icon_idea1:

boredandstroked 12-03-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile (Post 1259278)
+1 singram
Any buds with the rubber things on them that 'suction' in your ears DO NOT work with the helmets.

I guess they only work on helmets worn in Phoenix then since 90% of the riders I've met over the years use them. Over 7yrs now for me with no problems. 4 different helmets too.

CorruptFile 12-03-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1259344)
I guess they only work on helmets worn in Phoenix then since 90% of the riders I've met over the years use them. Over 7yrs now for me with no problems. 4 different helmets too.

I guess so :icon_rolleyes:

I've never found a pair that sit right in my ear. If I'm lucky enough to get them to stay in after I put my helmet on (2 diff helmets), they will pop out whenever I even try a shoulder check.

These are the style I'm talking about
http://i.testfreaks.com/images/produ...b24.263793.jpg