Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Helmet or No Helmet???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM
March 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helmet or No Helmet???

I live in Michigan where the law states that you must wear your helmet whenever riding a motorcycle. But I am 28 miles from Indiana which has no helmet laws and I like to ride down to Indiana and just pop the top off and cruise around every so often. I was just curious as to what states have helmet laws and what everyones thought on wearing or not wearing a helmet.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live just across the river in Ontario and we have helmet laws. I would never think about going without my bucket.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Not a chance... I always got the lid on

Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 AM

I Live in NH and there is no helmet law......I would say 99% of the time I wear my helmet and gear. The only time i dont is when im just moving her around or take it up the street for a quick turn around. My street is on a coldasac(sp). I wear my helmet mainly because my uncle died in an accident going 10mph turning left on a flashing yellow.....He was 5ft in front of me when the car hit him and he hit his head on the concrete and split his head open....sickest thing I have ever witnessed and I believe if he had his helmet on he would have lived. That day I did not have my helmet on and got the bitch session of my life from the cop that showed up on the scene(I was 22)......from that day on I have worn my helmet... That could have been me that got hit.......When you see something in person and as close as I did you tend to think twice.....The guys I ride with,half of them do not wear helmets but that is their choice not to....NH moto is live free or die......

Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
March 2009 ROTM

i know that your life can change in a instant and i know not wearing my helmet when im in indiana is a risk but it feels so nice!!! hearing a story like above tho can change anyones mind about wearing the proper gear.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 AM

wear your helmet dude, your never gaurenteed tomorrow.... i went without my helmet once on the strip at myrtle beach and it was the wierdest feeling and the only thing i thought about the whole time riding was, "what if i go down"

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM

^^ Thats my feeling too. I just cant enjoy it when I am not confortable, and my comfort zone is wearing a hemet and my gear.. Sometimes I will let the gear slide if its a really hot day and I am just out cruising, but never without my helmet

Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM

I always wear mine...99% of the time. around here tho, I feel like the odd man out. You almost never see another rider with any gear on at all. If you do, they usually have out of state tags. People have the mentality around here that "real men" dont need that sissy stuff. Personally I dissagree, I love to have fun but I want to balance it with safety as best I can. When you think about it, it doesnt take much of a hit to crack your head open....

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM

If you're not thinking about protection from a fall then what about rocks/debris/bugs? When I had my visor up in traffic a bug hit me right below my eye (no more than 20-30 mph) and I had to pull over it hurt so bad.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM

just put one on......

Quick Reply: Helmet or No Helmet???